PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours and motion sickness

Pages : [1] 2

missm
10-16-2011, 12:49 PM
I am curious if the new 3-D aspect of Star Tours will help with my motion sickness. I get very sick on Back to the Future at Universal but not on Soarin. I can usually do one Star Tours trip during my visit to DL but that's about it. How different is Star Tours now that it's 3-D? A lot of my motion sickness has to do with peripheral vision and as long as I wear glasses with big sides. Sort of like a horse with blinders. lol. What are the glasses like for Star Tours?

bumblebeeonarose
10-16-2011, 07:13 PM
3D glasses bug me; I am not a 3D movie kind of person. However, I really did not have any issues with the glasses for Star Tours. The ride movements seem similar to me, but others have said they are less nauseating. I say give the ride a go. Maybe you'll be able to do it again, maybe not.

missm
10-16-2011, 08:35 PM
I should have finished a sentence in my original post. As long as I wear glasses with large sides I'm okay. I wear sunglasses almost all the time when I'm in a car even though I'm sure I look stupid when it's dark and stormy out. I will take people thinking I'm a dork as long as I don't get sick.

Thanks bumblebee. I am definitely trying it, I figure I'll just do it as my last ride of the night so if I do get sick I can go right to bed.

olegc
10-16-2011, 10:55 PM
candies ginger from trader joes (and for me I need bonine too). can't do much more than 2 in one day.

bumblebeeonarose
10-17-2011, 08:12 PM
missm, I read your glasses comment okay. I should have said that 3D glasses give me headaches and bug my eyes so I don't care for 3D films, but the Star Tours' glasses did not bother me. Of course, a ride is a lot shorter than a movie.

Malcon10t
10-17-2011, 08:36 PM
I've rode ST once during AP and Club 33 previews. I got sick. I'm going to try it one more time, getting a seat further back than the 2nd row.

missm
10-18-2011, 08:00 AM
I've rode ST once during AP and Club 33 previews. I got sick. I'm going to try it one more time, getting a seat further back than the 2nd row.

Sad. But I was thinking I probably will still get sick. I will be trying it though. Will you let me know if sitting further back helped at all?

candles71
10-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Others have said sitting in the back row helped. Further back more of the screen is in front of you rather than in your peripheral vision. I was trying to post the picture I took of the glasses but the size is too big and the software on this computer is inadequate.

Drince88
10-18-2011, 08:23 AM

Did you have issues with the old version?
How'd your back do this time around?

3Princesses1Prince
10-18-2011, 08:34 AM
I had issues with the old version, but none with the new version and I was in the first row. As soon as I sat down I was worried about being in front, but it was a non-issue.

BlkPearlCptn
10-18-2011, 10:52 AM
My sister suffers from horrible motion sickness, but she has had no problem with ST. However, she always tries to sit in the front row. For some reason that helps her.

L1l1y2
10-18-2011, 04:27 PM
I get pretty sick on this ride! I've never been on the "old" version of the ride, so I have no basis for comparison. I think for me 3D is the problem. I can take the glasses off during the ride and feel instantly better. Either way I still go on the ride, the kids love it.

letshavefun
10-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Like olegc I too take bonine or I would get really sick but it works wonders.

missm
10-18-2011, 06:38 PM
What are some good over the counter medicines to take for motion sickness?

missm
10-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Sorry for the double post, I tried editing but for some reason it's not letting me tonight.

What are some medicines to take without nasty side effects? I don't want to be drowsy or anything like that. What is bonine?

candles71
10-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Bonine (http://www.bonine.com/) is an over the counter anti (whatever) medicine for motion sickness. I beleive it is non drowsy. Others have said there is a non drowsy dramamine, iirc.

letshavefun
10-19-2011, 03:58 PM
I get really drowsy with any meds that cause drowsyness and when I take Bonine I take it at night before I go to bed and it last the entire next day. I do that every night on my trips. I actually start the day before we leave so it is already in my system when I get there. That works for me.

nursechrissy32
10-19-2011, 07:20 PM
I am curious if the new 3-D aspect of Star Tours will help with my motion sickness. I get very sick on Back to the Future at Universal but not on Soarin. I can usually do one Star Tours trip during my visit to DL but that's about it. How different is Star Tours now that it's 3-D? A lot of my motion sickness has to do with peripheral vision and as long as I wear glasses with big sides. Sort of like a horse with blinders. lol. What are the glasses like for Star Tours?

I go on it with eyes closed the entire time and still get sick.....however...as you can see....I go on it LOL !

missm
10-20-2011, 06:47 AM
I get really drowsy with any meds that cause drowsyness and when I take Bonine I take it at night before I go to bed and it last the entire next day. I do that every night on my trips. I actually start the day before we leave so it is already in my system when I get there. That works for me.

Thanks I'm totally going to try that method out before the trip. I hope it works because I am so over getting sick on rides.

SteveK
10-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm a big Star Wars fan and had to try the ride once despite the fact I usually suffered from motion sickness on the old Star Tours. Sadly, this will be my only ride as the effect was just as bad this time. And to make things worse, my wife and youngest daughter who typically have no issues with Star Tours both got pretty motion sick. Not enough to hurl but both were pretty close.

letshavefun
10-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks I'm totally going to try that method out before the trip. I hope it works because I am so over getting sick on rides.

Your welcome I hope it works for you. We go every year and just the last couple years since taking Bonine I can go on Star Tours and not get sick but my kiddos still watch me and ask are you ok during the ride, it's funny. I would get sick on those last couple rolly dips on California Screamin too but not any more.

Bolivar
10-25-2011, 07:14 AM
I am disappointed to hear this. With the old ride there where minor issues of the ride not quite matching the visuals. The big movements were all in sync, but there where subtle differences, especially in the shakes and shutters. This mismatch of visual and motion sensations is what caused the motion sickness -- that is my theory anyway.

I had hoped that with a modern update they would have improved on the technology.

MadasaHatter
10-25-2011, 07:50 AM
I know that people that suffer from Car Sickness really do get sick on this ride. It is indeed the same ride as far as the movement. That really hasn't changed much. I have been in the parks with SO MANY people that have got sick on many different things. That one seems to be Car Sickness people. My sis tracemountain and me ate clam chowder once and then rode the tea cups three times so......I have no problem with anything....yet....

shna
10-25-2011, 05:57 PM
In case anyone reading this thread is looking for Bonine - that's a brand name. The generic name for it is meclizine. It's not recommended for children under 12, so I'd suggest just having the adults take it.

Check the dosage & the timing on the package, too. Also, if you've got more than a Disneyland/WDW trip in your future, you might want to ask the pharmacy staff if they have bottles of the stuff behind the counter. Before our last cruise, I found it on the regular shelves for something like $6.50 for 12 tablets. I think I got 100 tablets in a bottle for $6.99 from the pharmacy -- and they were the 24-hour variety.

If you DO buy them, you might want to try one at home before your trip to find out if they make you drowsy or loopy. They're billed as non-drowsy, but I know some people have atypical reactions to medications. Better to figure it out ahead of time than make yourself non-functional when you actually DO want to function.

Malcon10t
10-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Did you have issues with the old version?
How'd your back do this time around?I got mildly nauseated with the old version, but not as bad as this time. This one is much easier on my back. If I don't have a cold on the next trip (10 days) I will try it again in the back. Will post back.