PDA

View Full Version : Monorail Roundtrip only from DL?

hefferdude
06-18-2003, 10:11 AM
What is the "official" reason you can only take a roundtrip on the monorial from the TL monorail station while you have to get off, go around to the end of the line and wait to get back on if you started at the DLH station?

We were leaving after 3 days at DLR. After a nice lunch at Catal, we decided to take one last farewell ride on the monorail from the DLH area. Arriving at TL station we were told we had to get off. I understand guests would want to RT it from TL station but why can't you ride RT from DLH station?

Is there an "unofficial" reason ( opinion ) ?:confused:

SoCalDisneyLover
06-18-2003, 11:01 AM
I think it has to do with the way they do boarding in TL. The line is at the bottom of the ramp, and the Cast Member down there counts off the # of people which matches the Full Capacity of the Monorail. Those people then proceed up the ramp to the loading platform, and All of them get on board the monorail. If some people were allowed to stay on the monorail, then it would obviously make the count more time consuming, and difficult.

Also, another logical reason would be to prevent multiple rides on the Monorail. Otherwise, you could theoretically stay on the monorail for multiple round trips, and it would not allow the maximum # of guests to ride.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Then, too, there's the fact that at DL, the Monorail is an attraction, and to board from DTD, you would have to pay park admission, and therefore, there isn't enough demand for monorail roundtrips originating at and returning to the DTD station to justify not clearing the train at TL.

Contrast this with the WDW Monorails, where you can get on and off wherever you please. Those Monorails are part of the WDW transportation network.

Werner
06-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Are y'all talking about the roundtrip in the tailcone? You used to be able to buy a RT ticket and get in the tailcone at the DH and ride roundtrip. Since the tailcone accomodates just a few (maybe a max of 5?) guests, don't see why they couldn't just subtract that number from the entire train load. Also, they could always inflate the ticket price from the DH station to $3 or $4 dollars (last time they offered it, it was $2 or $2.50 I think) I'm sure there'd be enough die-hard fans like us that would go for it. What's another few bucks when you've already spent hundreds getting to the resort?

Really too bad -- this was one of those special little pleasures.

hefferdude
06-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Fair enough.

But if there isn't enough demand to warrant allowing RTs from DTD how about Werner's tailcone idea but have it as a new perk for Ap'ers. A RT from DTD station - tailcone only?:)

Estimating, counting and filling the train seats to capacity has to be an inexact science at best. ( accounting for odd number groups - ie one of the reasons for singles...) And also if demand is low - I would suggest four or five seats every couple of trains would not reduce the total seats from TL station by a quantifiable number.:geek:

hbquikcomjamesl
06-18-2003, 02:28 PM
Estimating, counting and filling the train seats to capacity has to be an inexact science at best.Especially when some, myself included, would gladly stand on the platform and wait out one train in order to get a cab seat on the next one. When they're even offering the cab seats, that is.

Pirate Girl
06-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Werner
Are y'all talking about the roundtrip in the tailcone? You used to be able to buy a RT ticket and get in the tailcone at the DH and ride roundtrip. Since the tailcone accomodates just a few (maybe a max of 5?) guests, don't see why they couldn't just subtract that number from the entire train load. Also, they could always inflate the ticket price from the DH station to $3 or $4 dollars (last time they offered it, it was $2 or $2.50 I think) I'm sure there'd be enough die-hard fans like us that would go for it. What's another few bucks when you've already spent hundreds getting to the resort?

Really too bad -- this was one of those special little pleasures.

My uncle used to drive the monorail, back in the day, and once when he was rotating shifts there were two marines who were coming into DL by way of the DLH. Well, they were only in CA for one day and they didn't realize the cost of getting into DL and didn't have enough money to go. So they bought passes for a tailcone ride. They took their loop around DL and came back generally depressed at what they were missing. So my uncle used two of his guest passes and let them in for the day. He said he saw them a few times that day and they were having the time of their lives. :fez:

jerjer2005
06-18-2003, 10:25 PM
The reason everyone has to depart at Disneyland is because of the demand for the space on each train. there are lots of people that need to get back down to their hotels and thats more important then taking a lil jaunt back to DTD. <--- thats the unofficial reason

heres the official reason ------> because Disney can!

HBTiggerFan
06-18-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by 100thGrimGrinningGhost
My uncle used to drive the monorail, back in the day, and once when he was rotating shifts there were two Marines* who were coming into DL by way of the DLH. Well, they were only in CA for one day and they didn't realize the cost of getting into DL and didn't have enough money to go. So they bought passes for a tailcone ride. They took their loop around DL and came back generally depressed at what they were missing. So my uncle used two of his guest passes and let them in for the day. He said he saw them a few times that day and they were having the time of their lives. :fez:

That is the sweetest story. I have to go cry now. SIGH. :crying:

*the M in Marines in the quote was capatalized by me.

timl33
06-19-2003, 07:05 AM
So if you ask a CM, that's the answer they'll give you?

Originally posted by jerjer2005

heres the official reason ------> because Disney can!

MonorailMan
06-19-2003, 09:13 AM
With plenty of Monorail experience, I can give you the most offical answer I have gotten.

"To Be Fair To Other Guests"

It's simple. Getting off of the Monorail at TL gives all the people in line a seat. The Monorail is no longer just a "attration" so to speak, but a source of transportation. Ever since DTD and GCH was added, one Monorail CM told me that, ridership has increased over 70%.

If you want to ride it again, just get back in line, it wont kill you. (Now that they finally have the line back wrapping around the Lagoon. :)

hefferdude
06-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Ever since DTD and GCH was added, one Monorail CM told me that, ridership has increased over 70%.

We were at DL Tuesday 06/17 mid-day and there were possibly 8 other guests in the entire DTD station with us. Maybe they could parse out times for RTs for DTD?

If you want to ride it again, just get back in line, it wont kill you.

No, having endured a bit more during my tenure on earth, it won't kill me.:|
Not yet.

I was riding with gramma who was not weathering the sun and humidity well which were up that day. We did wait in line by the lagoon and the whole lagoon thing somewhat boring.:rolleyes:

But that's another thread.