PDA

View Full Version : Signs inside Splash queue

Pages : [1] 2

findin mickeys
10-07-2011, 11:05 AM
One of my favorite parts of Splash is going through the queue and reading the various signs that are posted on the walls of the "cavern". Does anyone here know a place I could find a list of the the sayings and signs that are posted? I have tried google searches and am not able to find anything. It has been about 4 years since my last trip
"home" and am not sure when I will be making it back again. Next time I go I am taking a picture of all the signs so I have them. I know this is kind of an odd request, but figured if there is anything like this out there, this is the place to ask.

AJDerrick
10-07-2011, 11:48 AM
This article has a picture of one of them...

http://finkorswim.com/2011/01/26/a-great-lesson-from-the-happiest-place-on-earth/

I might have pictures of others at home. I think there's one along the lines of "You can't run away from trouble, there ain't no place that far!"

Edit: Found a thread on another site with the rest of them. http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/disneyland-resort/35164-splash-mountain-quotes-que-line-2.html

findin mickeys
10-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Thank you AJDerrick. That is just what I was looking for. I knew if this question could be answered this was the place to go. :D

iceman559
10-07-2011, 12:21 PM
If I recall correctly, those quotes are directly from Song of the South. I'm almost certain on the first four, and the rest I'm fairly confident.

SportyTink
10-07-2011, 06:01 PM
DOH! Let's not give the MA Crew any fun thoughts about those signs.....go in the queue, gotta ride the ride.....MA is hard enough let alone having squishy shoes doing it all day...shiver...

dban3
10-08-2011, 11:11 AM
If I recall correctly, those quotes are directly from Song of the South. I'm almost certain on the first four, and the rest I'm fairly confident.

Again, part of an immensely themed ride based on movie the Disney will not allow to be seen in the United States.

bumblebeeonarose
10-09-2011, 01:47 PM
I saw this movie for the first time this summer. I really enjoyed it. The quotes are deffinately from the movie, though I never knew that until I saw the movie. Splash is my DH favorite ride.

AJDerrick
10-10-2011, 06:18 AM
You're welcome! I think all the quotes were said by Uncle Remus, but I'm not positive. We've always loved them though. We like to take pictures of the signs like that in the park, including the one in Indy (True rewards await those who choose wisely) and ToT (can't remember this one exactly...something like 'It's easy enough to be happy when life hums along like a song, but the man who's worthwhile is the one who can smile when everything goes dead wrong').

iceman559
10-10-2011, 07:41 AM
You're welcome! I think all the quotes were said by Uncle Remus, but I'm not positive. We've always loved them though. We like to take pictures of the signs like that in the park, including the one in Indy (True rewards await those who choose wisely) and ToT (can't remember this one exactly...something like 'It's easy enough to be happy when life hums along like a song, but the man who's worthwhile is the one who can smile when everything goes dead wrong').

Yep, they are all said by Uncle Remus as he's telling Johnny the story of Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox and Brer Bear.

Again, part of an immensely themed ride based on movie the Disney will not allow to be seen in the United States.

Yep. And I honestly don't know why. So it doesn't portray slavery in a bad light? Does that mean the movie is condoning it? No. Also, the movie is set after the Civil War, so the argument of it "appearing that slavery doesn't exist" is null and void. At the time the movie is set, it didn't. I think the big sticking point for Disney is the NAACP's position on it back when it was released. I wish they would just get out there and re-release it already. I liked the idea I heard floating around a few years ago about having Morgan Freeman and/or Denzel Washington do an introduction to it explaining the circumstances of the movie, etc.

dban3
10-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Yep, they are all said by Uncle Remus as he's telling Johnny the story of Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox and Brer Bear.

Yep. And I honestly don't know why. So it doesn't portray slavery in a bad light? Does that mean the movie is condoning it? No. Also, the movie is set after the Civil War, so the argument of it "appearing that slavery doesn't exist" is null and void. At the time the movie is set, it didn't. I think the big sticking point for Disney is the NAACP's position on it back when it was released. I wish they would just get out there and re-release it already. I liked the idea I heard floating around a few years ago about having Morgan Freeman and/or Denzel Washington do an introduction to it explaining the circumstances of the movie, etc.

Song of the South is controversial to be sure. For the film to be released in its entirety, it would probably need to be specially packaged with a discussion involving actors, film historians, and critics to provide context for the film. Many believe it is in the top 100 of the best movies ever made. As you mentioned, there would need to be a special introduction to the film by a leading African-American actor before the film even begins. All this goes against traditional Disney movie marketing which is primarily aimed at children (and their parents).

One of the joys of bringing children to Disneyland is to be able to tie the wonderful rides and attractions with what they are able to view with Disney (and Pixar) films. While segments of Song of the South, particularly the animated sequences, are available in various Disney DVD packages, the whole film can only be seen through some kind of import which are usually bootleg copies out of Canada or the UK. It may be a little awkward for a parent to explain why they can't see the Uncle Remus / Brer movie.

From what I have read, Bob Iger gets asked about releasing Song of the South at almost every annual stockholders meeting to the point of being annoyed by the question. The answer is always 'No'.

findin mickeys
10-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Though my original intent when posting this question was not about the movie itself, this discussion does raise an interesting point. Has Disney ever provided a reason for not releasing this in the U.S.? I have never seen the entire movie in its full capacity. I have seen the aformentioned animated excerpts in various Disney DVD's, etc. I would love to see the movie as a whole to fully understand why there is so much controversy over it. Unfortunately when the company takes a hard stand like this it leaves those who have not seen the movie to envision something worse than it may really be. I guess I need to dust off my passport and head up north so I can sneak myself a copy across the boarder. Hopefully the mounties won't be too hard on me if I get caught. Are there other movies/cartoons Disney refuses to re-release due to the same type of concerns? I know Warner Bros. has quite a few Bugs Bunny cartoons from the WWII era that depicts people of Japanese descent in a negative light with racist undertones. They will not release these to be played on television but I have seen some of them before on video. It would be interesting to know what other Disney movies are being kept from the public for similar reasons.

danyoung
10-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Yep. And I honestly don't know why.

I haven't seen the movie either. But from everything I've read, the problem is that Uncle Remus and other blacks continue to work on the plantation in the story, happy and content even though they're not technically slaves any more. They're portrayed somewhat unrealistically by today's standards. I'd like to think that we are mature enough to not react badly to the characterizations and stereotypes in the movie. But you know some group or other is going to get their undies in a bunch because the blacks in the movie aren't rising up, fists in the air, and throwing off the yoke of their former masters. Silly, I know, but sadly true.

dban3
10-10-2011, 07:13 PM
What's sad in all this is James Baskett, who so wonderfully played Uncle Remus, was immensely grateful to Walt Disney for giving him the part till the day he died. Uncle Remus is one of the great Disney roles of all time and its almost unknown except in bits and pieces. Unfortunately, Uncle Remus was a free man at the time during the movie's time period (around 1870) but the movie shows many attributes of a world still living in a slave society. Essentially, in 2011, Song of the South is so politically incorrect that Disney would have to spend a great deal of time and resources trying to explain the film's release. They just aren't willing to do that. For all the film historians and critics that argue that the film should be released there are those that say it should not. James Baskett was given an honorary Academy Award for his performance.

iceman559
10-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Exactly. The movie basically just appears to put a positive spin on slavery. Uncle Remus and the other black men/women, who are now free, continue to work on the plantation as subordinates to the white plantation owners, who treat them very well. The movie shows a positive relationship between them, as well, so as to make slavery appear not to be so bad. When the movie was first released, the NAACP said good things about it, but quickly shifted to saying essentially exactly that (doesn't portray slavery as bad and that slavery didn't exist). I think this is probably the biggest sticking point for Disney in the United States. But personally, I feel it's no different than any other movie. Is there any proof out there that this sort of working relationship DIDN'T exist ANYWHERE? I honestly don't think it's really all that bad aside from providing a different viewpoint on slave-owner relationships than most, but that's not to say it's glamorizing slavery or anything. It just shows a friendly relationship between them. I agree with Dan that no matter what happens, some group is going to get ticked off about something, and I'm sure Disney is just trying to prevent all of that, especially in this sue happy world.

danyoung
10-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Again, from what I've read, this relationship really did exist. Not all slaves were oppressed (other than the fact that they didn't have their freedom). They were treated well, and when the institution of slavery was abolished, they didn't really have anywhere to go. They continued working for their former masters by choice. Of course, this is completely politically incorrect these days - all slaves were oppressed, and all slave owners were evil whip-wielding monsters. And this just wasn't the case.

iceman559
10-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Very good point. From what I can tell, the author of the stories that Song of the South is based, Joel Chandler Harris, had the same relationship with the slaves he worked with on a plantation that Uncle Remus and the others have with their former masters in the movie. While Harris wasn't the owner, it still shows that there was a friendship of sorts between a white, hired plantation worker and the slaves on that plantation. He thought of Uncle George (I believe was the name) as a friend, just like Uncle Remus was to Johnny and his family.

carolinakid
10-11-2011, 11:42 AM
I was lucky enough to see Song of the South as a child when it was rereleased in 1972 and as an adult when it was rereleased in 1986. I love the film. I guess what bothers me most is that while Disney deems it "inappropriate" for US audiences, they have no qualms making money off it in other countries. I have import DVDs from both Japan & Italy and have seen the film for sale in the UK, Holland, France & Spain. The film can be seen in its entirety on youtube. Other films of that era are available on DVD and regularly shown on channels such as TCM, so what's the big deal? Much ado about nothing, imo. Kids are exposed today to much worse racial stereotyping almost everywhere.

iceman559
10-11-2011, 11:50 AM
I think it goes back to what dban3 said about Disney marketing to kids, and also the comments the NAACP made about the movie when it was originally released. Now that people are so over zealous in their pursuit of presenting "the facts", some facts get covered up. One of them being the fact that not ALL slavery was bad. However, because the politically correct form of slavery is that it is an attrocious abomination of human rights, any movie that depicts otherwise will be severely criticized (probably legally for monetary damages) in the US. Other countries are more open minded. Unfortunately, America has become so close minded about a great many topics, that we lose great things such as this movie. Disney is just protecting themselves from a probable onslaught of lawsuits should they release this movie in the United States.

danyoung
10-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Yeah, as iceman said, it's just a fact of the political climate here in the good ol' US of A. It's sad that Disney won't release the film here, but I completely understand their decision not to.

John
10-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Can't you just rent it on Netflix?

candles71
10-11-2011, 05:25 PM
No.
Disney films are either current for streaming, or disc only and it doesn't come up.
ETA: it comes up of you go to the online site, but as unavailable.

Drince88
10-11-2011, 05:36 PM
One of them being the fact that not ALL slavery was bad.
Seriously?
Not all slave owners were tyrants, but all slavery was/is bad.

iceman559
10-12-2011, 05:23 AM
Seriously?
Not all slave owners were tyrants, but all slavery was/is bad.

Oh snap. Yeah, that was worded bad. Thanks for catching that, I don't know why I didn't when I proofread! I didn't mean that the ACT of slavery wasn't bad. I meant basically what you said, that not every slave owner was a tyranical monster nor every slave treated like a piece of dirt. That friendships did exist between slaves and their masters, as this movie showcases. I am definitely not some twisted person who thinks slavery is ever okay.

I definitely agree that all slavery was and still is, attrocious. My apologies for the poor wording.

And until Disney releases it in the US, it will not be available on Netflix. Disney owns the copyright, so unless Disney gives permission for someone to distribute it in the US, it is against the law to do so.

bumblebeeonarose
10-12-2011, 06:59 PM
There are other movies out there, like Gone With the Wind, that show things in a happy light. The truth is that some slave owners were horrible, and others tolerable. After the war, many slaves stayed and worked on the same plantations because they had no other future at the time. During the time the movie came out, Southern black people were being horribly mistreated. The movie debuted in Atlanta (I believe) and the black actors were not allowed to go to the cinema because of current Jim Crow laws.

Personally, I liked the movie. And I didn't really think there is a good reason to not release it. Yes, it doesn't show the bad aspects of slavery. But the movie isn't about slavery. It's about a little boy whose upset about his father leaving. Uncle Remus helps the poor kid out. The movie deals a lot with bullying, and gives some good advice. My mother ordered her copy online. It doesn't have a case, so I doubt it's a legitimate copy. My mother isn't the type to buy copied material, but she has a collection of Disney movies, and she wanted that one so she searched online until she found it. Disney would probably make some good money if they released the movie as I'm sure my mother isn't the only person who has bought it for a collection. But, I suppose, Disney has their reasons.

iceman559
10-13-2011, 05:30 AM
Personally, I liked the movie. And I didn't really think there is a good reason to not release it. Yes, it doesn't show the bad aspects of slavery. But the movie isn't about slavery. It's about a little boy whose upset about his father leaving. Uncle Remus helps the poor kid out. The movie deals a lot with bullying, and gives some good advice. My mother ordered her copy online. It doesn't have a case, so I doubt it's a legitimate copy. My mother isn't the type to buy copied material, but she has a collection of Disney movies, and she wanted that one so she searched online until she found it. Disney would probably make some good money if they released the movie as I'm sure my mother isn't the only person who has bought it for a collection. But, I suppose, Disney has their reasons.

I agree entirely. I saw the movie a couple years back now, and throughout the entire thing, I kept thinking to myself "why is this movie so bad it's essentially banned in the US?" Like you said, they don't focus on the slavery (or non-slavery as it may be), but the relationship Uncle Remus forms with Johnny. To me, there's nothing that stands out and says "This movie is horrible!" But, sadly, I can see why Disney won't release it. THere's too many political "protection" groups out there that would just love a reason to sue somebody. If Disney did in fact release this movie, they would undoubtedly have so many lawsuits filed against them that any money they make would be gone through settlements, not to mention the bad publicity they'd get from whatever the political groups try to say about them. The only way I can see Disney releasing this film is by eliminating all of these "extremist" groups who would no doubt sue. Sadly, our nation has taken the mindset of "who can I sue" and "who else can I blame", and that needs to change before we can allow (wrongfully) controversial movies to be released.