PDA

View Full Version : 6/11 report and my Disneyland disaster

mousketeer
06-17-2003, 12:24 PM
Before I report my disaster, here is a general report.

Pirates of the Caribbean's track seemed very slow and hesitant.
Winnie the Pooh malfunctioned two different times while I was in the queue.
There is major construction around the Pastry Window in NOS.
The Club 33 sign seems to be in "refurbishment".
I was extremely impressed by the Chocolate ice cream sodas at the Gibson Girl.
Sailing Ship Columbia was sailing for a while during peak hours. I was glad to see her and the nautical museum open and in great condition. Now maybe they can add some seats!
Haunted Mansion broke down.
Fantasmic! begins with a jazz concert on the Tom Sawyer rafts - flashback to Dixieland at Disneyland.
Lots of crowds! Probably more than 40,000.

I hate to gripe, but I just had to vent.

First, I started out the day by being dismayed by the behavior of an Indiana Jones cast member. I did not appreciate being spoken to in a smart allick, demeaning tone (most especially since I was in the right). If I was in the wrong, he should have spoken kindly, not copped a juvenille attitude.

Secondly, I was injured at the Mint Julep Bar. Nothing serious, just a huge bump on the head. I was leaning over to give an order and hit my head extremely hard on the window sill. It left me pretty dizzy, but within five minutes I was fine. Unfortunately, the kind CM at the Mint Julep Bar hastily called the nurse and security guard - oh those legailities. Everyone was extremely kind, except for the extremely rude security guard whom I will be reporting. Of course, none of these services were needed, but it just showed how attentive Disneyland is to the slightest injuries. Because they took a report, I'll expect the legal department to call about my case, which I hope they will close. This all really re-assured me how safe Disneyland really was, and how wonderful the majority of Cast Memebers really are.

On a similar note, I was informed by the nurse that they were unable to give any services to me due to my legal minority without parental consent (I was visiting alone, well for most of the day). This did not matter because I did not need them, but what if I had a serious injury? Would I just sit there waiting for paramedics?

I would also like to know how to go about reporting the behavior of a Cast Member. I don't think I have every been more mortified in my life than by the behavior of this security guard. I'll remember to watch my step in New Orleans Square.

Despite having what may have been my worst Disney day (you've only read half of what went wrong), I still left with a smile :)

[Mod. note: Fixed vB "list" code. -- Andrew]

jerjer2005
06-17-2003, 12:47 PM
Ok so much to reply to...

1) about the "rude" Indy cast member...
you dont seem to be very explicit on what the situation was and how the cast member was rude. You must remember that Indy is a very fast paced and quite confusing and dangerious loading area/system that requires that upmost attentiveness and awareness by cast members and the guests. If the guests are not being very coroperative or easy to work with, some cast members may be required to be a little abrupt and as some people may interperate it as "rude". In all reality they have to get you on the ride very fast and efficently while watching 100's of other people, Very demanding and stressful.

2) about the NOS and club 33 refurb...
This is all due to the upcoming pirates event and will be done very soon. This refurb cannot be helped as everything must be in tip-top shape by the time the press starts nosing around the event.

3)about your "injury"
This Injury doesnt seem to be disneys fault. They gave you the services that they could and legally they cannot give a minor even an Asprin without parent concent. There hands are tied, and yes if the injury needed attending and an adult was not present you would have to be treated by parimedics (which could be in the park treating you in less then 5 min. of being called). Your in good hands with disney.

4) about your Incident with the rude security guard...
if you absolutely feel that its necisary to waste your breath and complain about somthing that they wont even check into then go and make your complaint at city hall. but by now its really not posible to have anything done as you shouild make your comlplaint on the same day of the incident.

... it looks to me that you are trying to find every posible thing wrong with Disney and make it nad its cast members somthing its not
:mad:

mousketeer
06-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by jerjer2005
Ok so much to reply to...

1) about the "rude" Indy cast member...
you dont seem to be very explicit on what the situation was and how the cast member was rude. You must remember that Indy is a very fast paced and quite confusing and dangerious loading area/system that requires that upmost attentiveness and awareness by cast members and the guests. If the guests are not being very coroperative or easy to work with, some cast members may be required to be a little abrupt and as some people may interperate it as "rude". In all reality they have to get you on the ride very fast and efficently while watching 100's of other people, Very demanding and stressful.

2) about the NOS and club 33 refurb...
This is all due to the upcoming pirates event and will be done very soon. This refurb cannot be helped as everything must be in tip-top shape by the time the press starts nosing around the event.

3)about your "injury"
This Injury doesnt seem to be disneys fault. They gave you the services that they could and legally they cannot give a minor even an Asprin without parent concent. There hands are tied, and yes if the injury needed attending and an adult was not present you would have to be treated by parimedics (which could be in the park treating you in less then 5 min. of being called). Your in good hands with disney.

4) about your Incident with the rude security guard...
if you absolutely feel that its necisary to waste your breath and complain about somthing that they wont even check into then go and make your complaint at city hall. but by now its really not posible to have anything done as you shouild make your comlplaint on the same day of the incident.

... it looks to me that you are trying to find every posible thing wrong with Disney and make it nad its cast members somthing its not
:mad:

You are out of line. This is not a cast member witch hunt, and NOTHING I wrote implied that anthing was Disney's fault. My injury happened because the area is dark and I am tall (5 '11"). I could have happened to a fifty year old.

I have no intention of complaining about the Indy CM, but one of the NOS was incorrigable. Every other CM I came in contact with was caring and overy helpful.

Once again, I am not blaming anything on Disney. This was my first visit that I have not been elated about. So in the future JerJer2005, please remeber that I am angry because of the way I was treated, and had to vent. It is more than "wasting my breath". I plan to send a formal, written complaint. I am serious about this. The Indy thing was nothing, just a bit of rudeness. So in the future, remember to put kindness before attacks. Please try to read the facts, and be a bit less insensitive. :mad: :mad: :mad:

mousketeer
06-17-2003, 01:41 PM
JerJer, I hope I wasn't too strong. I'm so sorry if you saw it that way. I am just so riled up about the incedent. I hope we can still be friends :) .

raider
06-17-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by mousketeer
[snip]. . please remeber that I am angry because of the way I was treated, and had to vent. It is more than "wasting my breath". I plan to send a formal, written complaint. I am serious about this. The Indy thing was nothing, just a bit of rudeness. So in the future, remember to put kindness before attacks. Please try to read the facts, and be a bit less insensitive. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I actually had a similar issue. For me, the cast members have always made the park a wonderful experience. However, the one and only time I had a rude cast member was last year at the DCA Carousal. He very angrily (and quite condescendingly) reprimanded a family member who was trying to secure his son on the ride. Afterwards I told him very nicely that I though he could have handled it better. Without apologizing he simply said, "well tell your friend to learn how to understand instructions" and turned his back on me. It made me so angry, if for no other reason than because it ruined at least a part of our day at the park (which had been going so well to that point).

I did not complain at City Hall because I have only lodged positive feed back in the past about CMs and because I am very pro-CM, but something inside me, to this day, tells me i should have said something ....... but perhaps, as noted, it would have been " a waste of breath"..... :confused:

jerjer2005
06-17-2003, 01:48 PM
lol of course we can be friends! we agree to disagree.

When i made the comment of you "wasting your breath" wasnt an attack against you it was simply stating that I have been personally told that complaints are usually taken with a grain of salt unless they concern the operation of a ride or a safty/terroist issue. Disney cast members listin to to the complaint and then decide if its valid enough to be reported as a formal report...

The only reason that your claims of 2 rude cast members were undermined by me was that you really didnt describe the way they were rude. (by the way i would be very interested in knowing what happened)

alls well that ends well :)

jerjer2005
06-17-2003, 01:55 PM
I did not complain at City Hall because I have only lodged positive feed back in the past about CMs and because I am very pro-CM, but something inside me, to this day, tells me i should have said something ....... but perhaps, as noted, it would have been " a waste of breath"..... origionally posted by raider origionally posted by raider

totally correct... its very sad but usually reports of a speratic episode of CM rudeness is usually brushed off the sholder due to the lazyness to not want to fill out the paperwork or more guests in line that need to be assisted. As you are very pro-CM i am very pro-Disneyland Manangement. I feel that The disneyland president and the rest of the upper staff needs to tighten CM rules and keep a better watch on there CM's especially those that are taking complaints. Who knows, the person taking the report could be the best friend of the cast member that offended you... opps! paper in the garbage!

mousketeer
06-17-2003, 02:17 PM
I am pro-CM too. I just had my first bad experience yesterday. I do plan to give a glowing review to a CM at Indy, and a big fat complaint for one another.

mousketeer
06-17-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by jerjer2005
lol of course we can be friends! we agree to disagree.

When i made the comment of you "wasting your breath" wasnt an attack against you it was simply stating that I have been personally told that complaints are usually taken with a grain of salt unless they concern the operation of a ride or a safty/terroist issue. Disney cast members listin to to the complaint and then decide if its valid enough to be reported as a formal report...

The only reason that your claims of 2 rude cast members were undermined by me was that you really didnt describe the way they were rude. (by the way i would be very interested in knowing what happened)

alls well that ends well :)

Let's just forget the Indy CM - he was probably short because he was tired :confused: . But in NOS, the security guard was hostile, unfriendly, and sarcastically rolled her eyes and sighed when I said I was alone, like I was the first minor to ever be without a parent at Disneyland :rolleyes: . Overall, it was a bad experience. However, I must commend the CM's at the Mint Juelp Bar, 2 CM's at the French Market, and a very kind nurse. I must express my dismay with the security guard. I know that it may not seem like anthing major, but at the time it made me feel very unwelcomed, and not what the Disneyland experience is all about. Like Susan Duff said to reporters, "[We] weren't feeling the love."

femmfaerie
06-17-2003, 02:33 PM
I had bad experience a few years back...with a couple of cast members..the first was at the bank. I had never been to the DL bank, and just wanted to go to the ATM. At the entrance to the Bank the CM was chatting with who I thought was her friend. I stood there for a minute then tried to walk past them, neither of them acknoledged I was there and I didnt think there was a line. Well the CM GRABBED by arm (the way your mother does) asking what I was doing - going to the ATM? How was I supposed to know there was a different door? If she would have stopped yapping for a minute I could have asked. What ever...
The other time was later that day in the Mad Hatter by the Tea Cups...there were a few people inline infront of me, but the CM behind me had an empty line. I asked her if she could grab ears from behind the busy CM and ring them up for me on her register since she had no line. She said because they were behind the other CM she would ahve to grab them for me...then a few minutes later I saw her flirting a guy, then walked over to the other counter and grabbed the same ears for the guy. Talk about Rude! And she saw me watching her the whole time!

I am not sure what happened to you, but I think that eventually every one runs into a not so nice CM...

Fantasmic Fan
06-17-2003, 03:02 PM
The best thing to do if you are upset with a CM who was unpleasant or rude is to just ask to speak with their Lead or Manager. If you ask to talk with the Lead or Manager right after the incident then appropriate action can be taken with the CM. But if you go down to City Hall and make a complaint then the CM maybe gone by the time the complaint reaches the appriopriate management. Speaking with the Lead or Manager will cause the CM to be repremanded right after the situation took place because everything that happened is fresh in everyone's mind.

I'm sorry that some of you had bad experiences with CM's and hopefully it won't happen again. But remember most of the CMs at the DLR have the best intentions of making everones visit a pleasant one.

IndyBones
06-17-2003, 03:44 PM
I hereby apologize on behalf of the Indy CM. Yes, we have a busy and demanding attraction, but that really isn't an acceptable excuse. I hope that your experiences at the Indiana Jones Adventure are only positive in the future.

raider
06-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Fantasmic Fan
The best thing to do if you are upset with a CM who was unpleasant or rude is to just ask to speak with their Lead or Manager. If you ask to talk with the Lead or Manager right after the incident then appropriate action can be taken with the CM. But if you go down to City Hall and make a complaint then the CM maybe gone by the time the complaint reaches the appriopriate management. Speaking with the Lead or Manager will cause the CM to be repremanded right after the situation took place because everything that happened is fresh in everyone's mind.

I'm sorry that some of you had bad experiences with CM's and hopefully it won't happen again. But remember most of the CMs at the DLR have the best intentions of making everones visit a pleasant one. Thanks for the great advice! But I doubt it will happen again..that was the first bad experience I had in darn near 30 years of going to DL and doubt i will have one again for at least another 30 more ;)

mousketeer
06-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by IndyBones
I hereby apologize on behalf of the Indy CM. Yes, we have a busy and demanding attraction, but that really isn't an acceptable excuse. I hope that your experiences at the Indiana Jones Adventure are only positive in the future.

Thank you so much. I rode on Indy three times that day (thank-you single rider line), and the first and second times were everything a Disney attraction should be. Although the final time was not pleasant, I still enjoyed this fine attraction

mousketeer
06-17-2003, 04:13 PM
I would also like to address the problems on POC. It seemed as if the track was moving EXTREMELY slowly. When we got to the ascend at the end, our boat was hesitant to climb, and took several track cycles before we even got going.

The Pooh ride broke down twice within a short period of time. The poor CM's were facted with the daunting task of getting a wheelchair to the H&W scene, so that the stranded guest could get out.

Surprisingly, the aging Haunted Mansion omnimover also broke down. Since I was on the second doom buggie after the re-opening, I was however able to enjoy hearing the dialogue which is usually distorted by talking.

cstephens
06-17-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by mousketeer
I would also like to know how to go about reporting the behavior of a Cast Member.

You can send them a letter by regular mail, or you can go to the disneyland.com website and use their feedback option. In any case, be sure to include the cast member's name (if you remember it), and the date, time and place that everything happened so they can be sure they know who you're talking about.

mousketeer
06-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
You can send them a letter by regular mail, or you can go to the disneyland.com website and use their feedback option. In any case, be sure to include the cast member's name (if you remember it), and the date, time and place that everything happened so they can be sure they know who you're talking about.

Thank you for responding. And you can bet I remembered her name.

PhilMP
06-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Fantasmic Fan

I'm sorry that some of you had bad experiences with CM's and hopefully it won't happen again. But remember most of the CMs at the DLR have the best intentions of making everones visit a pleasant one.

An on-site reprimand probably won't happen. You see, most leads and management are probably going to get the CM side of the story, and will always give the benefit of the doubt to the CM, who can say that you're side of the story is exaggerated, or that's not what really happened, and the CM was being the nicest person possible, and you're the one who flipped out. Remember, even though leads and managers are on location, they're probably not at the scene when the incident occurs, and still won't have a clue about what happened.

A complaint go City Hall will allow upper management to keep a record of how many complaints the CM got, what they were for, where they were, etc. Besides, guest relations might give you something out of it.

Phil

101 in the hippo pool
06-18-2003, 09:27 AM
Besides, guest relations might give you something out of it.

I think that is a poor attitude to take.

Fantasmic Fan
06-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Any impact that a CM makes (good or bad) with a guest and the guest happens to speak up about the incident whether it be with Guest Relations or with the management at the location, the incident is to be documented. Yes, it is true that the CM's side is heard but their side of the story is still heard regardless whether the guest went down to City Hall or spoke with the area management. As a side note, if a guest makes a complaint about a CM at City Hall, the complaint can be tossed out by the area management if the complaint is seen as not legitimate. Speaking with the lead or manager of the area can also get the other CM's that were around that saw the incident that happened to get them involved if necessary to hear their side of the story instead of everything being a two way street in order to get down to the real story. Trust me, I have heard from friends who have received verbal complaints that were told to a lead or a manager and the CMs were held accountable/responsible and disciplined for their actions.

Pan Flyer
06-19-2003, 02:01 PM
Waah-waah! So you had a less than perfect day at a freakin' theme park. How you gonna handle it when the big bad WORLD throws you a REAL curve ball?

Just go, have fun, shut up and FTW.

mousketeer
06-19-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Pan Flyer
Waah-waah! So you had a less than perfect day at a freakin' theme park. How you gonna handle it when the big bad WORLD throws you a REAL curve ball?

Your kindness is greatly appreciated :mad: .

MonorailMan
06-19-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Pan Flyer

Walt Disney Once Said: "I don't want the public to see the world they live in while they're in the Park [Disneyland]. I want to feel they're in another world."

No day, anywhere can be perfect. But, our ticket price, annual passholder or not, goes to support why we visit Disneyland. We don't visit Disneyland to be insulted.

I know, that I go Disneyland to escape my world. Disneyland is the place to experience things I don't do everyday.

We go, we try to have fun, but when we experience a rude CM, we lose some of that Disney Magic.

Regarding the last word you posted, please remember:

From the Mousepad Community Policies:
As a registered member of MousePad, you are not allowed to use this message board to post any material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, libelous, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, threatening, an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

Masking a word in an acronym, is still using that word.

Bill Catherall
06-19-2003, 04:41 PM
Let's try to keep things civil and on topic please. There no need to get nasty.