PDA

View Full Version : Main Street Mini-Mall

BrerFox
06-17-2003, 12:17 PM
O.k......so its been a while since I've visited DL.(Sept.'02) and while I was there I noticed that main street has lost the charm it had when I was, oh say, 8. (I'm 18 now) I do believe that a lot can change in 10 years but...............this has got to stop!
My complaint is, what happened to all the stores that AREN'T selling plush dolls?! I remember seeing diffrent kinds of stores not just the same store selling the same stuff with just a different front!
I don't know. maybe where this is all coming from is my new found scorn for my Disney store here in Santa Rosa. All theres now that stupid Adventure series clothing line for little boys. There is nothing in that store for anyone over the age of..........12.
Well the last thing I purchased from there was a long sleve shirt (That was an ADULT size) with Mickey leaning on a "D" and the character lettering all the way down the side. I admit that its pretty cool.
And know I'm realizing now that this should have went into the lounge, not here(hehhehheh:(.)
Sorry.......still, is there any plans for main street that won't make it soooooo....bleh?!

jerjer2005
06-17-2003, 12:29 PM
You clearly didnt research all of the stores on mainstreet if you think that every store carrys the same stuff. And even the ones that do have some similar items, they still have there own unique touches throughout the store.

Mainstreet is just as lovely and crisp as it used to be

HBTiggerFan
06-17-2003, 05:55 PM
I think Pressler is the reason that the Emporium now looks like one big store. He wanted all the walls and dividers taken down.

There are several stores on Main St. that sell different stuff, other than plush, though most sell some plush. What side of the street (while looking at the castle) were you on? If you were on the left side (while looking at the castle) chances are you were in the Emporium most of the time.

What I miss are they "Disneyland" specific items. Not WDW. Not DCA. Disneyland!

Not Afraid
06-17-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by jerjer2005
You clearly didnt research all of the stores on mainstreet if you think that every store carrys the same stuff. And even the ones that do have some similar items, they still have there own unique touches throughout the store.

Mainstreet is just as lovely and crisp as it used to be

You obviously missed Disneyland when there WERE unique shops all over Main Street - AND all over the Park!.

There still are some of those stores - the Magic Store - the Silhouette studio, the Glass shop - but gone is the book store, the REAL Penny Arcade, Tobacco store, the Lingerie Store, Swift Market House, The Candle Store, The Flower Market, Organ shop, and more.

Each store carried unique merchandise on Main Street - and throughout the Park. Unfortunately, Pressler gave up uniqueness for mass-market items.

mousketeer
06-17-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
You obviously missed Disneyland when there WERE unique shops all over Main Street - AND all over the Park!.

There still are some of those stores - the Magic Store - the Silhouette studio, the Glass shop - but gone is the book store, the REAL Penny Arcade, Tobacco store, the Lingerie Store, Swift Market House, The Candle Store, The Flower Market, Organ shop, and more.

Each store carried unique merchandise on Main Street - and throughout the Park. Unfortunately, Pressler gave up uniqueness for mass-market items.

One of the Kind Shop, Le Gourmet, Lafitte's Silver Shop...

jrad32
06-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Man I miss the penny arcade. I have to disagree with JerJer about Main Street being as good as it used to be. There have been changes for the worse.

jrad32
06-18-2003, 07:28 AM
Oh, I see by the profile that JerJer is 15, so he or she may not remember some of the older, unique shops that used to line Main Street. It's sad that the teens out there now never got to see what it was like before.

sancho
06-18-2003, 07:54 AM
There was a tobacconist and also a lingerie shop in DL?

hbquikcomjamesl
06-18-2003, 08:28 AM
Yes, there was a lingerie shop. It was called "The Wizard of Bras," I'm told, and it was one of the taller buildings on the East side of the street, as it was the only shop with an onstage second floor. It was the very first Main Street concessionaire to lose its lease. Way before my time (it was out of business before I was born)!

The Wurlitzer Music Hall (also before my time) sold pianos and electronic organs; during that time, Wurlitzer also supplied pianos for the Coke Corner. I'm told (by either Rod or Johnny, if I remember right) that those pianos had only a fraction of the useful life of the present Yamahas.

The tobacconist, on the other hand, was there up through the early 1990s, when it became "American Pastimes," a sports book-and-memorabilia shop, and then, a few years ago, it became a music shop.

The present camera shop was, for many years, a combination card shop and guest assistance counter; the old camera shop (which had a working darkroom I actually had to use to unjam my 8mm camera!) is now a children's clothing store.

But there is still a clock, watch, and jewelry shop, and a magic shop, and a working candy shop, and a magic shop, and the aforementioned music shop, so the situation is not all that bad, and I'm kind of glad "The Wizard of Bras" didn't last into my lifetime.

In some ways, BTW, WDW-MK's Main Street is better (more and better restaurants, for example), while in others, ours is better.

sancho
06-18-2003, 09:27 AM
ok...does anyoe join me in finding it a bit strange that there was a lingerie store called "The Wizard of Bras" in DL...especially in its early days?

Not Afraid
06-18-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by sancho
ok...does anyoe join me in finding it a bit strange that there was a lingerie store called "The Wizard of Bras" in DL...especially in its early days?

Maybe from today's perspective, but, ladies stores were VERY important back then - proper support was not an option!;)