PDA

View Full Version : Forget Buzz, Bring In Mission: Space!

Pages : [1] 2

MonorailMan
06-16-2003, 07:50 PM
I'm just thinking...

Everyone who has been on M:S, has really enjoyed it. One site, referred to it as an "F-Ticket"!

Let's bring it to Disneyland! This is just what Tomorrowland needs. Not only would it boost attendace, but it would be a sweet ride!

But, where to put it? :D

Andrew
06-16-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Let's bring it to Disneyland! This is just what Tomorrowland needs. Not only would it boost attendace, but it would be a sweet ride!

But, where to put it? :D

There is a giant circular building in Tomorrowland. It even has a rotating base already!

MonorailMan
06-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
There is a giant circular building in Tomorrowland. It even has a rotating base already!

Oh that's right, I'm sorry about I forgot about that place. ;)

Morrigoon
06-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Would someone care to describe Mission Space to me please?

Andrew
06-16-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Would someone care to describe Mission Space to me please? Today's WDW update has a good description of the ride.

zapppop
06-16-2003, 08:15 PM
Well, the latest 'buzz' in DCA is, there's a 'space' in the 'mission' tortilla factory
that's getting a new 'F'ilm (no 'ticket' needed if you have an A.P.) :fez:

Morrigoon
06-16-2003, 08:18 PM
I sure hope you mean what you're implying!

lazyboy97O
06-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Mission: SPACE is Tomorrowland would probably help out the land a lot. is there any space left behind Space Mountain? Is so they could put it there and have an underground queue.

AliKzam
06-16-2003, 09:51 PM
No, I agree with Andrew. Let's put it in the carrousel theatre. Could it work there? Would they have to retro-fit the building? I know it's old, but it would be HUGE!
By the way, I know nothing about this ride, either. I'll have to read that story. But yeah, sounds like it could revive Tomorrowland.
Think we could get it in time for the 55th?
2004- Buzz Lightyear Spaceranger Spin
2005- Brand spankin new Space Mountain
2005-2006- Two new attractions for Tomorrowland hinted at by Rasulo
2009 or 2010- Mission Space?
I could see it happening. I could wait seven years. If we got it sooner, all the better. Tomorrowland would be a well-rounded land, with something for everyone, before the next decade. How great would that be?

stagedoorjonny
06-17-2003, 10:08 AM
I was talking to a cm a couple weeks ago and he said they had told him it would be go into HISTA.

DisneyFan25863
06-17-2003, 10:22 AM
And if Innoventions isn't a big enough buliding, there is a certin pizza place next door...

Tref
06-17-2003, 10:31 AM
According to Al, we are not even getting the full Buzz ride due to budget cuts, so, suffice to say, we are NOT getting the Mission Space ride. Forget about it.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-17-2003, 11:52 AM
All TL really needs is to get CV and the subs back up and running, and reliable sound on Space Mountain. And some real content. Anything beyond that (like Buzz in the old Flight to the Moon building, or turning the old Peoplemover track back into a modernized Peoplemover) would simply be gravy.

Bringing M:S to Tomorrowland would, as I see it, be a big mistake. WDW needs to have certain attractions unique to itself, just as DLR needs to have certain attractions unique to itself.

That doesn't mean the ride system for M:S wouldn't have a place in DLR. Picture this: The M:S ride system gets reworked into something with a "research flight test" theme. Think X-1, NF-104, and X-15, and gets scaled down to fit inside the "Taste Pilots' Grill" building. We gut the joint and install this ride system. Instantly, DCA has another E-ticket, and Condor Flats has something a little more tightly themed to Edwards AFB.

If there's anything that ought to go into the Carousel Theatre building, other than Innoventions, WDW/MK ought to be given one last chance to, ahem, defecate or get off the pot, and if they still refuse to run CoP at least on weekend afternoons, it should be shipped back to Anaheim. They can <female canid used as a verb> all they want about the mechanism being old and worn out, but the one in our Carousel Theatre is many years older than the one in theirs, and it's currently running nonstop during park hours. We wouldn't even have to sacrifice having our own Innoventions: CoP only requires the ground floor of the building (WDW's doesn't even HAVE an upper level), and in its original form, guests exited the show into a walk-through of the Progress City model (which is now shown at the end of TTA, the WDW Peoplemover). Now, they could exit the show into a slightly more concentrated Innoventions (after all, nearly all the good stuff is upstairs anyway).

stinkerbell
06-18-2003, 06:42 AM
I say just forget about Buzz, period. :eek:

I love TS and TS2, love them. But I don't want a Buzz ride.

I'd like to see a non-character ride that's really good go in Tomorrowland.

jerjer2005
06-18-2003, 06:57 PM
personally i would love to see buzz come to Disneyland... heres why it will.

If you owned a park and u could put in an attraction that would sell lots of mercindise and bring in a big croud versus a more expensive ride with no merchindise opertunities u do the math. Lets be practical now. And leave my poor pizza port alone I love that place! lol. And M. S. will not go into the HISTA theater becuase M. S. isnt coming to DL.

DisneyFan25863
06-18-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by jerjer2005
And M. S. will not go into the HISTA theater becuase M. S. isnt coming to DL.

How do you know?

jerjer2005
06-18-2003, 10:16 PM
1) not marketable
2)eisner would never approve it
3)im sure before it got to the point of breaking ground they would find some way to pull it due to "budget cuts"
(in laymens terms that means WDW needs a new parade)

9oldmen
06-19-2003, 06:39 AM
"If you owned a park and u could put in an attraction that would sell lots of mercindise and bring in a big croud versus a more expensive ride with no merchindise opertunities u do the math."

"no merchindise[sic] opertunities"? jerjer2005, "u" might want to check out the article in today's Mouseplanet about Mission: Space
by Steve Kiskamp and Vicki Groff. It features photos of mugs, jackets, "Mickey's head in a space helmet" mugs, and spaceship models, all available in the merchandise location at the ride's exit. Don't tell me this is a surprise to you.

MonorailMan
06-19-2003, 09:08 AM
Don't forget, the attration takes place in "2036". Sounds like "Tommorrow" to me. :D

DBJ
06-19-2003, 12:51 PM
What I always find to be the single most frustrating thing about Disneyland management is the budget cut mindest that winds up damaging the park's reputation & prestige. It takes real talent to take an essentially one-time near perfect park and feature less attractions every year. Yet despite the downturn in attractions, the park is dwarfing the competition in the US, only surpassed by WDW. So why is Disney going so "cheap" when it comes to adding/improving Disneyland? Based on DL's attendance alone, they can easily afford mutli-million dollar attractions every single year.

Looking at how Knott's has added major attractions failry consistently now for a few years that appeal to their demographic while coming nowhere near DL's yearly attendance, there is literally no reason why DL cannot be doing the same thing.

Where is all the money going that Disneyland generates and why isn't it being poured back into the park? If you took 10 bucks from every admission for a year and put that towards a new attraction, that is over 130 million "budget" for a new attraction! More than enough for Space Mountain ver. 2.0, Buzz Lightyear, and a new Sub ride, with money to spare.

Instead, we see raised ticket prices, increased food prices, raised parking prices, all the while offering less every year! Why? Fastpass wouldn't be needed if there was actually more attractions every year, instead of less.

I can only hope & pray that the new management team will re-invest significant money back into the parks, and not into executive salaries.

jrad32
06-19-2003, 01:47 PM
I share your hopes. It is frustrating seeing shuttered attractions and areas sitting dead, especially when DL is crowded. It would be nice if the put some attractions in yesterland spots, or even brought back some old attractions.

Everyone knows the spots and attractions I'm talking about. The unused Motor boat lagoon, sub lagoon, the innovations building (Some may consider Innovations an attraction but I don't), Keel Boats, skyway, Peoplemover, and how about turning that large area where the Hunchback theater is into an attraction area that can absorb some guests.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-19-2003, 01:56 PM
Looking at how Knott's has added major attractions failry consistently now for a few years that appeal to their demographicAnd what exactly is that demographic? It used to be history buffs, old west buffs, and local families with small children, but I haven't a clue what it is now.

But I do know that Knotts has been going steadily downhill from the day they started trying to compete with Disneyland, instead of just being a relatively inexpensive place where local families could go every month or so, ride a vintage train, and watch horseshoes being forged.

Now, Disneyland is still doing what it does best, even if somewhat hamstrung by the greedy, and also outdoing Knotts on much of what it used to do best as well.

Dean Higgins
06-19-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by DBJ
What I always find to be the single most frustrating thing about Disneyland management is the budget cut mindest that winds up damaging the park's reputation & prestige. It takes real talent to take an essentially one-time near perfect park and feature less attractions every year. Yet despite the downturn in attractions, the park is dwarfing the competition in the US, only surpassed by WDW. So why is Disney going so "cheap" when it comes to adding/improving Disneyland? Based on DL's attendance alone, they can easily afford mutli-million dollar attractions every single year.

Looking at how Knott's has added major attractions failry consistently now for a few years that appeal to their demographic while coming nowhere near DL's yearly attendance, there is literally no reason why DL cannot be doing the same thing.

Where is all the money going that Disneyland generates and why isn't it being poured back into the park? If you took 10 bucks from every admission for a year and put that towards a new attraction, that is over 130 million "budget" for a new attraction! More than enough for Space Mountain ver. 2.0, Buzz Lightyear, and a new Sub ride, with money to spare.

Instead, we see raised ticket prices, increased food prices, raised parking prices, all the while offering less every year! Why? Fastpass wouldn't be needed if there was actually more attractions every year, instead of less.

I can only hope & pray that the new management team will re-invest significant money back into the parks, and not into executive salaries.

AMEN BROTHER!

Spend money on the fan?! No way! The execs need their millions in bonuses. They sure aren't putting it into human resources... CM's never make enough. They finally get a pay change when they are layed-off to $0/hr.

Walt always spilled everything he made back into his films and parks... AND he cared about the little guy. It was his risk-taking that basically set up cushy lives for people like Eisner who has coat-tailed on Walt's hard work... only to almost ruin Walt's legacy by hiring people like Paul Pressler... or hiring Michael Ovitz for a few weeks... and then deciding to give him a 100 million-dollar golden parachute to leave because of their differences.

dshimel
06-19-2003, 02:05 PM
All companies try to maximize return on investment. That is, spend the least amount possible to make the most possible.

Once upon a time, Disney did planning with long term return on investment windows. Indianna Jones didn't make back the cost of investment in a couple years, but over 7 years, it has. The high cost was justified by long term high rate of return.

Now, everything is short term RoI. Not what the investment is going to make for the comapny over 10 years, but what it will do to profit next quarter and next fiscal year.

I think the biggest problems for Disney are the new nature of the stock market, and investor expectations. Once upon a time, people baught stocks and held them for 10-20-30-40 years. People were investors. Now, people are traders. They buy a stock they think will go up over the next weeks or months, then get out as soon as it looks like the stock will go down over the next couple of months.

Once upon a time, people expected Disney to be a slow growth stock. Its price reflected a reasonable P/E. 10-15 years of profit would pay back the purchase price. You could buy in, and as long as profit groeth kept up with inflation, you'd know it would probably be worth as much or more 10 years from now. Now, the stock has a high P/E (like 40 years of profit to equal purchase price). It is a "gamble" stock. You're buying hoping for big revenue and profit growth, and if that doesn't happen, you could lose a lot of money.

In conclusion, Disney must "cheap out" becuase they need to return to profit gorwth ASAP, or the stock will get pounded, investors will become unhappy, and the execs will get fired.

Finally, they make a lot (proper use of the 2-word version) more money off a WDW guest than a DLR guest. If they make anything at DLR too good, they could draw people from WDW and actually cost themsleves money. The goal of DLR is to get people going to SoCal on vacation to allot (proper use of the one-word version) 2-3 days from their trip to spend at DLR, WITHOUT pulling potential WDW guests to SoCal.

Dean Higgins
06-19-2003, 02:18 PM
A man building a tunnel for Walt's backyard train told him that even though Walt wanted the tunnel to curve (so you couldn't see the other end so quickly), it would be cheaper to build it straight.

Walt told him "IT WOULD BE CHEAPER NOT TO BUILD IT AT ALL... NOW DO IT THE WAY I WANT IT TO BE DONE"

Or to put it another way:
Curved tunnel = Disneyland
Straight Tunnel = DCA