PDA

View Full Version : Mission Tortilla Factory to get a new "show"

Darkbeer
06-15-2003, 07:29 PM
They have converted the exit to the Mission Tortilla Factory to an entrance and exit combined. The actual machine area is still up and running, in fact, it is easier to get your free sample, and get out... Also, the "kitchen" area is still offered.

The old entrance area is currently being redone, I was told by a CM that they want to make it more "Boudin" like, so expect to see a video presentation instead of the litttle "windows".

MonorailMan
06-15-2003, 08:32 PM
Sweet! Let's hope for another Colin + Rosie combo! :D

cstephens
06-15-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
The old entrance area is currently being redone, I was told by a CM that they want to make it more "Boudin" like, so expect to see a video presentation instead of the litttle "windows".

When they actually do their little spiel, it's actually interesting and informative. For whatever reason, they just don't do the spiel anymore.

DisneyFan25863
06-15-2003, 08:56 PM
I still think the only perpous of that entire buliding is to try and, for at least a few min., take our minds off the cheepeness of the park and enjoy our complimentary tortilla :rolleyes: :fez:

mousketeer
06-15-2003, 09:26 PM
Wow! This is more exciting than when I met Victor Borge :D !

jerjer2005
06-15-2003, 09:58 PM
leave the poor mission factory alone...

please refer to the post intitled "proof that mission and Bourdin are not attractions"

for my thoughts on the subject :)

Baloo
06-15-2003, 10:13 PM
I actually like the little windows. I would have hoped that the entrance had a better presentation and like someone mentioned when the CM does the presentation it is quite interesting.

What they should have done or should do is add a few more windows with the history of the painting explained. Maybe they should make it something like the Epcot Mexico pavilion with movies that interact with the guests but without the boats.

justagrrl
06-16-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by cstephens
When they actually do their little spiel, it's actually interesting and informative. For whatever reason, they just don't do the spiel anymore.

How funny. I thought it was just plain odd.

hbquikcomjamesl
06-16-2003, 07:51 AM
It's about <euphemism for obscenity, delivered with an Elmer Fudd accent> time!

hbquikcomjamesl
06-16-2003, 07:53 AM
Maybe they should make it something like the Epcot Mexico pavilion with movies that interact with the guests but without the boats.What did I say in another thread, about how anybody who likes the Mission Tortilla Fiasco would also like "El Desperdicio de Tiempo" in Epcot Mexico? :D

Baloo
06-16-2003, 08:30 PM
i did not say i liked it but at least it kind of fits with the whimsical theme of the attraction. Even the small little windows now at DCA are kind of interesting although there is not much to like about them. It is a simple play of mirrors and projections that many people sometimes can't figure out. They could even add the thre amigo disney charcters and make it more appealing to kids instead of using spoke persons from Abc television.

Darkbeer
06-16-2003, 09:20 PM
But, I presume that the new presentation will more like a glorified commercial, with lots of Mission logos and references. And unlike the "walk right thru" aspect of the old pre-show, you will have to trade a few minutes of your time in return for that "free" sample.

Should be interesting to see what the new show will be....

zapppop
06-16-2003, 09:28 PM
I hope I don't have to sit through a video before proceeding.
I was talking to innerSpaceman last night about this and his
response to me was " Well, there goes my free tortilla ! ".
That's pretty much the way I feel too. If I have to sit through a
video, I won't be going in there again.

stan4d_steph
06-17-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by zapppop
I hope I don't have to sit through a video before proceeding.
I was talking to innerSpaceman last night about this and his
response to me was " Well, there goes my free tortilla ! ".
That's pretty much the way I feel too. If I have to sit through a
video, I won't be going in there again.

ahem...

Originally posted by DarkBeer
They have converted the exit to the Mission Tortilla Factory to an entrance and exit combined.

Tref
06-17-2003, 09:09 AM
Wow! I can't wait to miss it!

hbquikcomjamesl
06-17-2003, 10:02 AM
But, I presume that the new presentation will more like a glorified commercial, . . .I hope not, but even that would be an improvement over the present non-show.

If I have to sit through a video, I won't be going in there again.I would be more than willing to give a new-and-improved Mission attraction a chance. After all, I gave the present one a second chance, and I gave "El Desperdicio de Tiempo" in Epcot Mexico a second chance. If the show were even half as good as the Boudin show, or if there were a reasonable chance that the machinery would actually be running when you went through the kitchen, then it would be something worth going through, with or without the free tortilla.

The thing that bugs me about both "El Desperdicio de Tiempo" and the present version of the Mission Tortilla Fiasco is that both were done with such shockingly low, no, make that shockingly nonexistent production values, and in such a way as to make Mexico a laughingstock.

Now I'm not exactly in love with Mexico. In fact, I've never been there, have little inclination to go there, don't speak a word of Spanish beyond knowing the difference between "put your hands on your head" and "put your hands on your beer," and it's been at least three decades since I've even been to Olivera Street. But even so, I can't imagine why anybody from Mexico would find either attraction flattering, or indeed why anybody from Mexico would fail to find both attractions embarrassing.

Brown Monkey
06-18-2003, 09:51 AM
Now I'm craving one of those tortillas! Those things are soooo good!

Baloo
06-18-2003, 08:01 PM
Lets not forget that "Mission Tortilla" is not a mecian company.

It has and always has been an american company selling tortillas that are made the american way.

Baloo
06-18-2003, 08:13 PM
I am Hispanic and to tell you the truth it these attractions do not offend me a bit.

Why, because i know for a fact that Mexico has more of a history and culture than even the great USA. I just take them for what they are. Two attractions that were funded by corporate america to sell a product. If i was to get offended by every attraction, comercial, or any other thing that portrayed mexico or hispanics wrong then i would be always complaining. Hey look at Universal Studios they still have that old run down area of the backlot that they call Mexico with the flood and rain scene. I think it is interesting but i know for a fact that eventhough areas do exist like that in Mexico it is only a small fraction of what the country offers.

I actually enjoy the tortilla tour and one of the reasons i enjoy it so much is because when DCA first opened I took my brother and made it a point to visit this tour so he could see that part of his work is in a Disney property. My brother was one of the original employees that helped in making "Mission" Tortilla what it is now. He was one of a handfull of people that started this company and help to create those magificant machines that create thousands of tortillas per hour. Yes he was proud.

zapppop
06-18-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by stan4d_steph
ahem...
Yes, for now, you can go through the exit but that's only until the film is ready. I'd load up on tortillas now if I had a reason to go to DCA besides taking TOT photos.