PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for great places to eat in DCA

mikala
06-15-2003, 06:35 PM
Hi there,

We are AP's and go monthly. However, I am sure you all know how you might go with some of your typical or favorite dining spots. Well, that is us. We would like some recommendations for awesome places to eat.

We have frequently visited:
Award Wieners
Taste Pilots Grill
and other faster food outlets.

We stood in line for Ariel's Grotto in April. There was NO signs anywhere that stated this was a multi course meal. Obviously after being seated we would not have just walked out. Instead we sat through the awful food and service, and paid near $60.00 for 2 adults. I don't like to complain but come to think of it, maybe I should have. It had nothing to do with the environment (children, tons of birthdays or anything like that). Our server-took our order, and we didn't see her for over 20 minutes. When she came back, she said she "forgot" she had our table. Some may say we must like to waste money. That is not the case.

When we just came back from the DLR last week, we were waiting for our bags on the luggage terminal. Who would we run into but 20 CM's from Disneyland who flew to Vegas to party. The gal I talked with said she worked at the Vineyard room, and we should come by. Sorry for this being long, had to elaborate. Thanks for suggestions.

;) Mikala

HBTiggerFan
06-15-2003, 07:21 PM
I like the Pacific Warf Cafe. They have huge salads that come in a huge sourdough bread bowl, and their clam chowder is so much better than the stuff that is now in DL.

jerjer2005
06-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up... I wont waste my time or money on Ariels Grotto (I personally liked the name Avalon Cove much better... by the way if you look at the wall right past the entrance to Ariels Grotto, you will se a painting with the name avalon cove imprinted on it... guess they eaither forgot, left a memorium to the better name or just didnt want to spill the doe to replace it)

anyway back to the topic at hand...

I absolutely love Strips and dips on paridise pier. and dont forget free tortilas at Mission tortila factory!!!

Lashbear
06-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Corn Dog Castle :D

I can't help it ! I likes 'em, I do !! :fez:

Wizard69
06-15-2003, 10:45 PM
I've had nothing but VERY GOOD service at Ariel's as well as when it was Avalon Cove. I go there quite often to eat.

I also like Taste Pilots, Pacific Wharf, Award Wieners and Corn Dog Castle.

mikala
06-16-2003, 07:56 AM
Are you kidding? My husband makes me run through Mission, and even brings his own peanut butter. :) He's silly. Thanks for the suggestions. I liked Strips alot. We have been there once.

Mikala

mikala
06-16-2003, 07:57 AM
I mean he makes me go at least twice when we are there. Also the decor in Ariel's Grotto is awesome, just didn't like the service or food.

Not Afraid
06-16-2003, 09:00 AM
I really enjoyed Ariels Grotto. The food was decent and, with an Ap it was about $15 including drinks. Plus, the "men" enjoyed Ariel.:rolleyes: ;)

My two favorites at DCA are The Tratoria and The Vinyard Room.

The VR is a treat! Deliciously prepared foods - interesting choices (I had sweetbreads) - great all around, but expensive. Three of four courese meals with or without wine with a set price for each. No a la carte available.

The Tratoria has the BEST salad in the park IMO. Plus their Italian Meat Lovers sandwich is to die for, as is their risotto pudding.

Beyond that, Corn Dog Castle and Award Weindes get my vote for fabulous, delicious fat.:fez:

Allison
06-16-2003, 09:00 AM
Hey thanks for the heads up on Ariel's Grotto. We are going Aug. 15 for three days and I was going to check it out. Our last visit we put our name on the waiting list but never made it.
I don't mind paying if it is worth it, (like the Blue Bayou), but with all you spend going to the resort, a bad experience for that price hurts.

We love the Test Pilots Grill, the ribs remind us of the Thunder Mountain BBQ.
I also really like the Mexican Place, (can't remember the name), but the Nachos are great.

KarenW2
06-16-2003, 09:02 AM
Hi Mikala,
I'd suggest Storyteller's or White Water for better eating at/around DCA (technically, they're both just outside the park). We used to LOVE the Vineyard Room, when it was run by Mondavi, but we weren't impressed when Disney took over. It's MORE expensive and dinners aren't as good as they were before.

Same goes for Avalon Cove, that's now Ariel's Grotto. We very much enjoyed AC, under Wolfie's care, but now that it's under Disney's, the food is mediocre, service is horrible and the place is too darned noisy and overrun with Disney characters! We enjoyed the decor, originally done for AC, but pass on eating there!

We appreciate a nice, quiet retreat from the parks when we dine.

Pacific WHARF (why do some people keep spelling it like it's a Star Trek character?!) is great for the Boudin sourdough bread bowls with clam chowder inside, especially on a cold, overcast day. Enjoyed my Corn Dog Castle corn dog as well.

Hope this helps and that you have a great time, no matter where you choose to eat!

mikala
06-16-2003, 09:23 PM
Mucho Gracias for the suggestions. When we just stayed at Grand Californian last month (May) we bought sodas and some candy in White Water and that is it.

Will you all kill me if I tell you......we have NEVER had a corn dog at the Castle? I will next time, ok?

We need to go to Storytellers.
:)

tod
06-16-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I really enjoyed Ariels Grotto. The food was decent and, with an Ap it was about $15 including drinks. Plus, the "men" enjoyed Ariel.:rolleyes: ;)

Why the "quotes" around "men"?

--T
"curious"

jerjer2005
06-18-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Allison

We love the Test Pilots Grill, the ribs remind us of the Thunder Mountain BBQ.

Oh :crying: I miss that place so much! It was so good, and always so crowded. So crazy to close it :crying:

dsnylndmom
06-18-2003, 07:35 PM
Wow, We've never had bad food at Ariel's and our service has always been GREAT! We like to sit outside even with the kids, it's quieter outside and the characters still see the kids. I have the Cobb when we go and french onion soup and it's always tasty. Our group also loves the Fish and Chips.

Other than Ariel's we go to White Water Snacks to eat when we are at DCA but I plan on trying Tratoria in July. Taste Pilots is decent too.

Allison, I would still try Ariel's if I were you, go for lunch it's cheaper!

Tina
:p

Not Afraid
06-18-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by tod
Why the "quotes" around "men"?

--T
"curious"

Because these werre really two 12 year old boys masquerading as "men" (when in reality, they are 40 year old "geezers")

Does that "help"? ":fez: "