PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Parade Taping Nov 4-6, 2011

tinksmygirl
09-16-2011, 02:42 PM
I know a lot of people were wondering about the dates for the Disneyland/ABC Christmas parade taping. I found this on another site with a link to a credible source so I though I would share it here. The website dancethemagic. com has Nov 4-6 listed as the dates for the "Holiday Spectacular Parade Down Main Street U.S.A.!" "Taping for the Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade by ABC-TV! (breakfast included!)" (quotes from dancethemagic website)

I was relieved it was this weekend as we are going Nov 10-15 and really wanted to avoid it!:D

jrsharp21
09-16-2011, 02:52 PM
We were there a couple of years ago for the Xmas show taping. I believe it was when Jessica Simpson was there. It was pretty cool to be there that day and then watch it again on Xmas day. It really didn't feel like the park was anymore crowded than usual. If anything, it took people out of the lines and rides as they were watching the parade and performances.

curtsinore
09-16-2011, 04:03 PM
The bonus of watching the taping of the parade for TV, is that the parade being taped is not the parade that is paraded daily down the street over the holidays.

TIMBO
09-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Just so you know...Our Dancers participate every year in "Dance The Magic"...and dates can AND will change at the last minute....

TruSlack
09-17-2011, 11:41 PM
It looked like they were taping something today from a camera positioned in front of the large pumpkin, shooting in the direction of the hub (the crew looked to be in the teardown process at 2:30pm).

AVP
10-29-2011, 11:43 AM
An update on the taping, it looks like both performances of Mickey's Soundsational Parade are canceled for Saturday, November 5. In past years, they've canceled the first parade, but held the evening performance. This year, there are no Disneyland parades on Saturday, but two parades each Friday and Sunday.

AVP

disney42dude
10-30-2011, 03:14 AM
An update on the taping, it looks like both performances of Mickey's Soundsational Parade are canceled for Saturday, November 5. In past years, they've canceled the first parade, but held the evening performance. This year, there are no Disneyland parades on Saturday, but two parades each Friday and Sunday.

AVP

Yeah, I'm interested to see how it goes. I'm scheduled to work Guest control for the event from 3-11:30 p.m., which I found interesting since I only remember seeing daytime footage on the actual broadcast.

AVP
11-03-2011, 05:25 PM
A few more operational notes for this weekend. Here's Sleeping Beauty Castle as of today, with the stages in place.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/378577_10150442058039808_39288069807_10290828_1949 31884_n.jpg

Friday:

No Horse-Drawn Streetcars.
Youth performance participants are scheduled to perform in a a short pre-parade segment called "Holiday Spectacular Parade" Friday evening around 6:00, before the scheduled 6:30 performance of Mickey's Soundsational Parade.

Saturday:

No Main Street Vehicles.
No Soundsational Parade.
Parade and castle performance taping scheduled for the morning / early afternoon. It looks like two parade segments, one around 10am, the second around 1pm. I received unverified, repeat, unverified information from a CM that there are also evening castle performances scheduled from 5-6 and from 7-8, which would may explain why disney42dude said he's scheduled to work guest control that night.

Sunday:

No Main Street Vehicles.
No parade taping scheduled, but the youth performers are required to be available Sunday morning in case taping is delayed due to weather / other issues.
Again, I received unverified information that there will be taping in front of the castle during daylight hours. These may be "pick up" shots or photo ops, and not actual performances.

If anyone happens to be in possession of a more detailed official schedule - or, you know, a list of celebrity hosts who might be appearing this weekend - you can send it to avp at mouseplanet dot com. :cool:

AVP

danyoung
11-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Wow - that's quite a layout! Are those video walls on either side?

disney42dude
11-03-2011, 07:40 PM
I received unverified, repeat, unverified information from a CM that there are also evening castle performances scheduled from 5-6 and from 7-8, which would may explain why disney42dude said he's scheduled to work guest control that night.
AVP

That would be cool. I was worried I'd just be "guarding" the empty stages like they were doing today. Lol.

itig
11-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Going on a spontaneous trip Nov 5-8. Any thoughts or recommendations on avoiding DL completely on those days and going to DCA -or- will DL rides be less crowded due to all of the parade gawkers? Am not interested in celeb spotting at all. Thanks.

olegc
11-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Going on a spontaneous trip Nov 5-8. Any thoughts or recommendations on avoiding DL completely on those days and going to DCA -or- will DL rides be less crowded due to all of the parade gawkers? Am not interested in celeb spotting at all. Thanks.

well I don't think it will be swamped all day - BUT main street will be crowded when they are taping the parade elements and the hub will always be crowded. Probably use Big Thunder Trail on the back side to get between west and east, or maybe the DRR. DCA will provide that needed break. See AVPs post above on speculation on when performances are...

itig
11-04-2011, 07:52 PM
well I don't think it will be swamped all day - BUT main street will be crowded when they are taping the parade elements and the hub will always be crowded. Probably use Big Thunder Trail on the back side to get between west and east, or maybe the DRR. DCA will provide that needed break. See AVPs post above on speculation on when performances are...
DRR is a great idea! Think we'll hop right on after entering and head into the back of the park. Thanks for the reply and advice.

Sansarc
11-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Not sure if anyone else from MP was there this weekend (ha ha, I'm sure people were!), but my family and I were -- and we saw some of the Christmas Day parade taping, and also the New Year's Rockin' Eve taping later that night. It's true, Main Street was crowded during the taping, but not horribly so. And it wasn't hard to get a seat to watch. I actually sat on a bench at the train station and watched. But I did notice that the CMs were directing foot-traffic one-way. That meant everyone ended up in the Emporium shops in order to make their way around the taping and into Adventureland, etc. There were some CMS in the stores directing foot-traffic to make it run smoothly. My son and husband were in CA Adventure, so I went shopping in the Emporium, and then thought I'd take the train around the park and go on some rides by myself -- but ran out of time. I was supposed to meet them at 3:00 p.m. at the Grand Californian. So I left -- but it was fun to watch the filming. Later that night, my son and I went back into Disneyland and saw some of the New Year's Rockin' Eve 2012 filming by the castle. The whole area was closed off, and a large crowd had gathered to watch.

Two things about this -- we felt sad that we couldn't access the castle, or even our favorite shortcut near Carnation Plaza (both blocked off), but we were able to walk on to a lot of our favorite rides, like Autopia (well, my son's favorite ride!), Astro Blasters, and just a 15 minute wait for Alice in Wonderland. We also saw Haunted Mansion with a Fastpass. It just seemed like we were able to do a lot of things during the filming around the Castle because such a large (and continuous) crowd had gathered there.

So FYI for next year -- it wasn't that crowded during the filming of both events, and the rides were less crowded. But access was limited along Main Street and there was no access starting Friday night for the castle . . .

currence
11-06-2011, 08:38 PM
We were there for part of the day Saturday and largely ignored the tapings, though we park-hopped into DLas the Christmas parade was on main-street.

We saw the sign for New Years Eve as we were leaving. For whatever reason, I didn't mind them pre-taping the Christmas parade for a later broadcast on Christmas day, but the thought of pre-taping New Years Eve just seemed wrong. I've always assumed that most/all the footage on New Years Eve is live or replayed from earlier that night. Of course, now I may have to watch or tape it to see how they use the footage and if they try to pretend that it is live or acknowledge that it was taped in November. I'm guessing at best they will concede that it was 'taped earlier" without a mention to the date.