PDA

View Full Version : old ride question [Adventures thru Inner Space]

Pages : [1] 2

mlyons
09-11-2011, 03:53 PM
i was trying to figure out the name of a ride.I remember when i went to disney when i was a kid 7/8. the only thing that sticks out in my mind was when you were in tommorow land and you were on the line waiting to get in you could see the people loading into the cars (those like HM buggy) then you would go into a tunnel or machine and it would shrink you down to the size of couple inches. dose anybody remember the name of it?

Drince88
09-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Sounds like Adventures through Inner Space. I know they had it at Disneyland, but I didn't think it was ever at WDW. (But I could be wrong on that.)

oregontraveler
09-12-2011, 04:40 AM
I couldn't find anything either about ATIS in Orlando. Remember too, MK opened in 1971. We had put a man on the moon. Perhaps the TL approach at DL in 1955 would seem out of date 15 years later in Orlando.

carolinakid
09-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Adventure Thru Inner Space was only in Disneyland from 1967-1985. Star Tours is located in its place now.

petesimac
09-12-2011, 11:50 AM
i was trying to figure out the name of a ride.I remember when i went to disney when i was a kid 7/8. the only thing that sticks out in my mind was when you were in tommorow land and you were on the line waiting to get in you could see the people loading into the cars (those like HM buggy) then you would go into a tunnel or machine and it would shrink you down to the size of couple inches. dose anybody remember the name of it?

You sure you're not thinking of "If You Had Wings"? It was a continuously moving ride and you go through a tunnel to begin the journey; along the way you see images of far off places projected on a variety of types of screens, and then at one point you go through a big room where the walls and ceileing are the screen, and you feel like you're flying; it was a great ride; wish they still had it. But as far as being shrunken at WDW, I don't think they've ever had a ride/attraction like that.

PhineasTheGhost
09-12-2011, 02:54 PM
You didn't say what park, just Disney.

oregontraveler
09-12-2011, 03:54 PM
You sure you're not thinking of "If You Had Wings"? It was a continuously moving ride and you go through a tunnel to begin the journey; along the way you see images of far off places projected on a variety of types of screens, and then at one point you go through a big room where the walls and ceileing are the screen, and you feel like you're flying; it was a great ride; wish they still had it. But as far as being shrunken at WDW, I don't think they've ever had a ride/attraction like that.

Here's some info from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_You_Had_Wings

Same ride system, but no 'shrinking effects' the OP mentioned. Which the big telescope in the ATIS queue is known for.... "Am I really going to shrink daddy?"

Drince88
09-12-2011, 04:19 PM
You didn't say what park, just Disney.

The OP said "Tomorrowland" and they posted in the WDW forums. Kind of limits it down to the MK in Florida.

You were shrunk down in size for Body Wars, but that wasn't an Omnimover, nor was it in Tomorrowland, so I doubt that's what the OP was referring to.

tappenfeat
09-13-2011, 03:16 AM
I'm completely puzzled on this one. About what year was this?

Looking forward to the answer. It wasn't the one when Robin Williams did Mr. Tomorrow in the Timekeeper? I sadly never got to see that.

Drince88
09-13-2011, 04:42 AM
Looking forward to the answer. It wasn't the one when Robin Williams did Mr. Tomorrow in the Timekeeper? I sadly never got to see that.
No. That was a circle-vision movie, based on time travel.

tappenfeat
09-13-2011, 04:57 AM
I didn't think so at all. I watched The Timekeeper on YouTube a few times. Wish I'd seen it for real in person.

danyoung
09-13-2011, 07:45 AM
...you were in tommorow land and you were on the line waiting to get in you could see the people loading into the cars (those like HM buggy) then you would go into a tunnel or machine and it would shrink you down to the size of couple inches.

There is only one attraction that fits this description - Adventure Through Inner Space in DisneyLAND's Tomorrowland.

tappenfeat
09-13-2011, 09:19 AM
There is only one attraction that fits this description - Adventure Through Inner Space in DisneyLAND's Tomorrowland.

mlyons,

Try going on YouTube and see if you can find the video of the ride. See if it looks familiar.

CBFETT
09-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I don't ever remember anything like this at WDW.

mlyons
10-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Yes that was it, it was in disneyland , i have been to disneyworld 15/16 times, and to disneyland once when i was 7/8. i don't know why that ride stands out so much in my memory. I went on youtube and saw it there inner space. thanks it was driving me crazy

stan4d_steph
10-17-2011, 07:40 AM
"If You Had Wings" used an omnimover system, but there was no shrinking down. It was sponsored by Eastern Airlines.

Wombat66
10-19-2011, 08:20 AM
BTW, there is an incredible dvd virtual ride thru of Adventures Thru Innerspace. You can see a preview of it here:
http://www.themightymicroscope.com/dvd_puchase.htm

houseofmouse
10-19-2011, 11:07 AM
That ride used to freak me out as a small kid! I used to really think I would shrink, hated going on it for quite some time!! :) Now I laugh that I actually thought that. Loved Haunted Mansion as a kid but hated Inner Space, go figure! :)

DwarfPlanet
10-20-2011, 07:44 AM
I used to ride this over and over due to it was one of the freebie rides they had.

danyoung
10-20-2011, 09:34 AM
I used to really think I would shrink, hated going on it for quite some time!!

On my first few trips I really bought into the illusion. I didn't think we were shrinking, but I did think that the vehicles in the Mighty Microscope were actually real vehicles and real people, somehow visually shrunk down. It wasn't till I rode the Peoplemover and really looked at it closely that I figgered out that those were models and not really people. Disappointing!!!

Sleeping Beauty's mom
10-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Okay, I'm showing my age in this comment, but does anyone remember when they went to Grad Nite at DLR, this ride would always be closed?
( because it was a dark ride, and you never know what might happen in the dark.....lol)

The old man
10-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Okay, I'm showing my age in this comment, but does anyone remember when they went to Grad Nite at DLR, this ride would always be closed?
( because it was a dark ride, and you never know what might happen in the dark.....lol)
I thought it was because they would thrown stuff at the "eye" at the end of the microscope.

newhdplayer
10-20-2011, 03:25 PM

It was open in 1976 for Grad Night.

Sleeping Beauty's mom
10-20-2011, 07:36 PM
It was open in 1976 for Grad Night.

Closed Grad night 1975. , weird huh?

DwarfPlanet
10-21-2011, 05:54 AM
It used to be known as the make-out ride.