PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland and troglodytes

sancho
06-12-2003, 05:20 PM
In the past, I have visited DL people who just did not appreciate it. They deemed it "for kids", "lame", "stupid" or "boring". Now, I know that I am preaching to the choir here, but DL is none of these things. It is meant to be enjoyed as a total experience. World class atmosphere+world class attractions=the Disney experience.
I try to guard against going to the park with anyone who I think will not appreciate it (because it ruins my day at the park when I am with them), but I see these types when I am there. Slack jawed, surly, unaffected by the beauty of the park, and disappointed. (I'm surprised they don't leave slime trails.) They are upset because the park is not crammed full of the latest endurance-testing rides (and I use the word deliberately) and technology. I am not so sure that it was meant to be. The park is quaint, lovely, best enjoyed with an eye towards its creator and the intentions driving its creation. This is lost on so many of the types described above.
Any thoughts about this or related stories?

(Did I spell troglodyte correctly?)

MammaSilva
06-12-2003, 06:00 PM
LOL I think most of us can share horror stories, but around here we fondly and affectionately refer to those who don't get the magic as "muggles" ~ A Harry Potter reference in case you haven't read the book.. it's a word used for "non magical folk".

Darren
06-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Well said, esp. the part about viewing the park with an eye to the creator. I wish I had said that.

Morrigoon
06-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Mammasilva beat me to it.... it's easier to spell "Muggles"

06-13-2003, 02:10 AM
Listen, I'm married to a muggle among muggles. He has been to both Disneyland and Disney World and just doesn't see the point of either. The atmosphere, the history, the excitement, the prices all leave him cold. Even Animal Kingdom does nothing for him - and I thought for sure he'll like this !

Ah well. It's his one fault. Good thing I'm perfect enough for the both of us. ;)

hbquikcomjamesl
06-13-2003, 07:27 AM
Indeed. Back in the 1990s (especially 1996), there were plenty of occasions when I went to DL WITHOUT RIDING ANYTHING WHATSOEVER. Usually, I'd see either Fantasmic or The Parade, or both, but sometimes, I'd just spend a few hours walking around.

Ilikesteamboat
06-13-2003, 11:44 AM
We are from Wisconsin and were out for a two week trip July 2001. As we were getting on the plane we realized that in two weeks we had only been on 4 or 5 rides. Neither of us really cared, we just enjoyed being there. In our trips we have made alot of friends and just soaking up the "magic"

disNeytEen
06-13-2003, 11:56 AM
what those "Muggles" don't know is that disney isn't a place to scare the &#$! outa you, but a nice "magical" place to forget what is going on in the world, care less about work, and most important to be with your family and friends. Isn't that what Walt wanted?

BrerFox
06-13-2003, 01:11 PM
I highly agree!!!:D
I've seen a muggle trasformed into a magical being.........my mother!!
All it took was a little Indy' and she was in it!! My dad and I are just consumed with magic and she seems to have a little pixy dust once and a while...but most of the time she just wants to go back to the hotel.:(
My dad and I walk the park till' it hurts!!:D :D
when we staied at the Disneyland hotel (awsome) we come back on the monorail and we filled the bathtub with warm water and we soaked our feet for like an hour!!:D

Gemini Cricket
06-13-2003, 01:40 PM
trog·lo·dyte
n.

a. A member of a fabulous or prehistoric race of people that lived in caves, dens, or holes.
b. A person considered to be reclusive, reactionary, out of date, or brutish.

a. An anthropoid ape, such as a gorilla or chimpanzee.
b. An animal that lives underground, as an ant or a worm.

Just in case anyone was wondering. It's a great word. :)

msr709
06-16-2003, 11:50 AM
I feel sorry for those who don't get the "magic," they're missing so much. When I'm at Disney its a totally different kind of "thrill," its a "magical thrill," one that makes me feel all warm and cuddly, and safe from the horrors of the outside world, that feeling of being a kid again and being in awe of everything around you. Everytime I go down Main Street I feel like I've been transported to another time and place that I don't ever want to leave. But when I do leave I feel rejuvenated and refreshed and ready to take on anything that comes my way (and usually planning on my next trip back, LOL!). JMHO!;)

Ghoulish Delight
06-16-2003, 12:09 PM
I don't mean to sound like a party pooper (where have I heard that before?), but while I am one who does appreciate and understand the magic that Disney has to offer, I don't go so far as to put those who don't understand it down, calling them "reclusive, reactionary, out of date, or brutish."

There are plenty of things that others delight in that I just don't get. So for me to say that just because they don't see what I see, they are somehow inferior is ridiculous. Asthetic and entertainment are subjective things. Not everyonce can like the same things, and thank God they don't or there would be no variety in this world.

Yes, I do my best to explain to people why I DO love Disney so much. But I am perfectly fine if they do not share or understand that because of all the things I know exist that I don't share or understand with them.