PDA

View Full Version : New Star Wars ride - scarier to ride than the previous version?

Monte Cristo
09-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Hello Mouseplaneters!

I'm bringing my 10 year old nephew to the parks next month and he wants to go on the new Star Wars ride. He's worried that it might be "scarier" than the last edition though. What I want to know is if the ride is indeed more turbulent in motion than the previous?

Thanks for your input.

BlkPearlCptn
09-05-2011, 09:23 AM
I didn't think the motion was anymore than the previous version. However, some of the scenes may be more intense. I'm thinking specifically of the creature in Naboo that "mouthes" your ship. It depends upon his fright level.

IllusionOfLife
09-05-2011, 09:29 AM
As far as motion goes, it's probably about the same. However, there are some more direct interactions with the ride vehicle in this version (using the 3D to full effect) for instance in one of the sequences on Naboo one of the giant fish from Phantom Menace grabs onto the ship and begins shaking it around.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it really just depends on the sequence, but unfortunately there's no way to predict which sequence you'll get. If he's just a little scared of it, I'd encourage him to give it a try and let him know that he never has to go on it again if it's too scary. If he's scared to the point of not wanting anything to do with it, though, don't force him. That's typically a good barometer of whether a child will be ok or not, if they're more nervous than actually terrified see if they're willing to give it a shot, but if they're legitimately scared, don't make them do it.

Monte Cristo
09-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Intense sequences don't seem to be his issue, ride motion is. Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think he'll be just fine. :)

currence
09-05-2011, 10:41 AM
If the issue is ride motion, some people have reported that the last row is less likely to trigger motion issues than the others.

curtsinore
09-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Neighbor boy was afraid of everything in Disneyland but really liked the Star tours ride, his first time as a visitor last week, it was the most repeated ride on the 5 day visit. He didn't like splash or Thunder, or Indy, ( all one time rides) but Star Tours with its familiarity made him comfortable. Granted the neighbor boy has some emotional issues over fear that prevented him from enjoying the intense dark rides.

familymemories
09-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Can't wait to ride Star Tours!! It was closed when we went last Fall and this Spring.

Monte Cristo
09-05-2011, 04:38 PM
If the issue is ride motion, some people have reported that the last row is less likely to trigger motion issues than the others.

He just doesn't like anything too violent. He went on Harry Potter in Orlando and it scared him pretty bad so he's been gunshy about virtual rides as a result.

Sleeping Beauty's mom
09-05-2011, 04:58 PM
I don't think it was scarier, and the graphics/video are just super awesome....... now, the motion is
really jerky, didn't care much for that.

lovechows
09-05-2011, 05:42 PM
I think it depends on where you sit on the ride. The back row felt rougher for us. I really like sitting in the front row, although it could be a little scary of children during a couple of the scenes (when different creatures come at the vehicle). The second and third rows are generally smoother. During the AP previews, we went on the ride 5 times the first time and 6 times the second (DH won one lottery; I won the other) and we loved all of them except the time we were in the back row.

DL and WDW are the only parks where I will go on roller coasters or similar attractions and even Space Mt. scares me after the earthquake we had a few years back. I've stopped going on SM at DL because I'm so afraid of being thrown off the track if we have another earthquake (a result of being on the 5th floor at work when we had the 5.4 quake with epicenter close to Anaheim--not fun!!). So, if I can handle Star Wars, most people can. (BTW, I don't recommend Tower of Terror. We went on it in Florida in 2004 and it was fun. Went on it at DCA after they changed the ride and was scared to death. Will never go on either one again). Hope it works out for you!!

ShelbyH
09-05-2011, 05:56 PM
I too would recommend the second or third row. The great thing about the new Star Tours is that the motion is much better synched with the movie part that it really feels like you're in the movie rather than just watching it and being yanked around. For that reason it's also much better if you're prone to motion sickness as well, which I am but feel fine getting off of ST (or on my AP preview day (http://myyearwiththemouse.com/2011/05/26/star-tours-the-adventure-continues/), getting on and off it 4 times in a row). I do think he'll like it. The motion is much less intense than Indy and than I remember the old ST being.