PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain and Cell Phones

ScottC4746
09-05-2011, 06:00 AM
I had some friends from New England that came to visit us and as we were preparing to head to the park, one of them asked if we had sandwhich bags. I asked why and if he was planning on bringing snacks into the park. He said it is for the cell phones so they dont drown on Splash Mountain. What a great idea! I never thought of that. I assume larger bags could work on cameras etc.

Malcon10t
09-05-2011, 06:49 AM
This is usually in all the What to take to Disneyland threads. We always (actually MDM ) carry several zip locks in various sizes for just this kind of thing.

shawnman
09-05-2011, 08:51 AM
zip lock bags are awesome! in june on our first trip to legoland was the first time we heard about using them. we had the snack sized ziplocks, one for our phones, and one for our tickets. it works perfectly!

Malcon10t
09-05-2011, 10:58 AM
For other ideas, check out this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?127709-What-s-in-your-Bag) and this one (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?160290-Novel-Items-to-Bring).

GrumpyGoat
09-08-2011, 12:47 PM
There are lockers at Grizzly Run Rapids for items you don't want to get wet. I wish they'd do that at Splash Mountain...

FantasmicFan82
09-10-2011, 10:50 AM
I went on grizzly twice yesterday and barely got wet. Then headed over to slash and got Soaked! Left my phone in my pocket too. I didn't think I'd get that soaked on spash I rarely do. Usually putting it in my s/o's purse works well enough.

bumblebeeonarose
09-10-2011, 09:23 PM
I went on grizzly twice yesterday and barely got wet. Then headed over to slash and got Soaked! Left my phone in my pocket too. I didn't think I'd get that soaked on spash I rarely do. Usually putting it in my s/o's purse works well enough.

It seems that usually GRR soaks you and Splash spritzes you. You just must have been in the best seat on GRR, and apparently had the right weight balance for Splash. Sounds like fun. GRR is my favorite and Splash is DH.

jananafish
09-15-2011, 04:42 PM
i never get wet on GRR but one time i got MEGA SOAKED on Splash and have not ridden it since then...even when i went a few weeks ago and temps topped 90 :(

Mooshu
09-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Love this thread...because I just got back from DL!!

I got so soaked on grizzly...that my watch stopped working for 3 days!! :p

It dried out and is now working...but I still can't believe how WET we got!

quackinup
09-16-2011, 07:25 AM
I discovered on my last trip that me (240 lbs) being in the front seat on Splash with a bunch of small kids behind me is not a great idea!

candles71
09-16-2011, 07:31 AM
I discovered on my last trip that me (240 lbs) being in the front seat on Splash with a bunch of small kids behind me is not a great idea!

No, no its not. If you were in the back, a whole other story.(Keeps the front of log from dipping and soaking everyone.)

aznewsboy
09-16-2011, 11:07 AM
We always get soaked on GRR and it's hit or miss on SM. I put one of those huge XL size ziplock bags in our backpack and then put the entire backpack in that bag on those rides. It keeps everything in the backpack dry. It's large enough that I offer to let stranger on our GRR raft put their stuff in it too.

dban3
09-16-2011, 11:30 AM
The wettest I have ever gotten on GRR was the incredibly misconceived idea of getting on the ride at about 5pm on a November evening. "Hey, No Wait! - It's a walk-on" as we passed by. So with the sun going doing and temperatures dropping like a rock, a raft of family members made their journey. Made it through the ride and down the big drop, wet, but not saturated. And then it happended... One of the geysers at the end of the ride shot off directly under the raft. With nowhere for the water to go, it dispersed all the way around the raft, shot straight up into the air, and immediately dropped, falling equally over the entire raft. Everyone was drenched from head to the soles of their shoes. Getting off the ride, chills set in with the dropping temperatures. We had to send a party (kids come in handy for this) back to the hotel rooms for complete changes of clothes. GRR and Splash Mountain new rules of thumb - never get on with the weather under 75 degrees and enough warm sunshine to dry off reasonably quickly. Their were pictures taken of the rafters as we got off the ride but I won't post them as those of the female family members may find them "embarrassing" to say the least.

ShelbyH
09-16-2011, 11:33 AM
I have just never gotten that wet on Splash Mountain, but it looks like I'm in the minority

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
09-20-2011, 12:06 PM
I have just never gotten that wet on Splash Mountain, but it looks like I'm in the minority

we all got off the ride Sunday looking like we had freshly showered!

Wavesprite1
09-20-2011, 12:19 PM
My son LOVES GRR, and he especially loves it when there is no line in the early chilly evening like dban mentions up above. We ususally let him ride it over and over and over again by himself and then we just head back to the hotel for the night. We would never let him do it if we wanted to stay longer int he park! One time on Splash something shot water right into my ear. It ached for days!!!

jananafish
09-20-2011, 05:22 PM
@wavesprite - that's funny RE: grr ;)

I think I realize our CMs mistake when loading us on Splash .... three adults in front, 3 small children in the back = massive wall of water ruining my hair and my friend's eyelashes :geek:

sjhanksaz
09-22-2011, 07:02 AM
You know those rogue waves on Splash Mountain that seem to come from no where and for no reason. The ones that just come over the edge of the log and soak one of your legs. I seem to have one hit me every other time I am on the ride. (most times the occur when the log goes down one of those small drops, then the log dips low in the water)

That is why my phone is removed from my belt clip now and put in my inside jacket pocket. Years ago one of those rogue waves came and hit my Black Berry. I remember shaking it and watching water come out of it everywhere. I took the battery out and let it dry out. It still worked but was never quite the same.

Bytebear
09-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Somewhat related. I dropped my cellphone into a glass of Diet Coke once. I read up on what to do, and the recommendation was to let it air dry for at least 3 days. Some suggested using rice to help absorb the liquid. Others recommended dipping it in distilled water to get any liquid residue like sugar or salts off. I just let it dry for three days, and it worked fine after that. But the trick was to not try to turn it on early, or you might fry something. Let it dry completely.

jananafish
09-22-2011, 03:20 PM
OT but:
Yes -- IMMEDIATELY cut the power (this goes for laptops too...I should know ;)); remove battery and dry in a bowl (or cup, whatever) of rice if possible. Or if you have some other sort of desiccant (if you just so happen to have a bevy of silicone packets lying around your house :p) that'll work too. I've heard other methods too but this is the only thing I've tried that's actually worked!

&YES the rogue waves are terrible. I've even had them on Pirates when you go down that first drop :( :(