PDA

View Full Version : Cars Land: Poor Name?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

PhineasTheGhost
09-04-2011, 07:17 PM
I recenly was thinking about Cars Land and something hit me. Why is it called Cars Land and not Radiator Springs. Both Hollywoodland and "a bug's land" I think are fine names.Hollywoodland means 1930's Hollywood. Then "a bug's land" isn't as creative but still good because it's based of "a bug's life". What do you think?

Bytebear
09-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Yes, I hate the name "Carsland." It should be Radiator Springs, or maybe Route 66 featuring Radiator Springs.

PhineasTheGhost
09-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks this.

dban3
09-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Now that you mention it...... Carsland is kind of a dorky name.

ESS Heckler
09-05-2011, 09:24 AM
I thought the same thing! It should be called Radiator Springs. But then the Disney marketing geniuses were probably afraid that there would not be enough people who could make the mental leap from "Radiator Springs" to the movie "Cars" except for hardcore fans.

PhineasTheGhost
09-05-2011, 09:30 AM
That's propably true ESS Heckler. However I'm not the biggest fan of the movie Cars and I know what it is, plus if people weren't fans of the movie they propably wouldn't go to Cars Land. Cars Land is easier to type then Radiator Springs.

IllusionOfLife
09-05-2011, 09:35 AM
As ESS Heckler mentioned, it's a lowest common denominator thing. Calling something "Cars" Land will bring new people into the park because it is based off a movie they enjoy, or in many cases, a movie their kids enjoy; calling it Radiator Springs, while certainly more appropriate and classier, won't make that instant connection with some people.

What I'm hoping, though, is that outside of the land, it's referred to by it's "official" name (i.e. maps, advertisements, entrance area, etc.) but once you're actually in Cars Land everything will be referred to as Radiator Springs. That way they can have their lowest common denominator connection, while still having an appropriate sense of place while you're actually there.

dban3
09-05-2011, 10:22 AM
I'd rather have a T-Shirt or baseball cap that something like "Radiator Springs Racing" rather than one that said "Carsland" on it. I'd walk on by something like that without blinking. Then again, I'm not 6 years old. Think, Disney, think.....

Bytebear
09-05-2011, 06:18 PM
This is why I am leaning toward "Carsland, featuring Radiator Springs" so you have the best of both worlds. Or "Radiator Springs, featuring characters from Cars" or some kind of two tiered name.

olegc
09-05-2011, 09:35 PM
really - it's not even open to the public and already? wow.... look, it's probably both. I think if you did a survey of many across the country they may not remember radiator springs - but they do remember Cars. How many out of town guests (and not geeks like us) do you hear say "Haunted house" or "log ride" or "pirate ship" or "jungle ride" at Disneyland - many. It's the connection thing in their mind that they prefer to remember and do not commit to memory "Haunted Mansion" or "Pirates of the Carribean"

Another point - Radiator Springs is the town with one main street that has Flo's, Luigi's, the souvenir shop, the courthouse, and Filmore's fuel. Mater's junkyard is actually outside of town - as is Cadillac Range where the racing goes on (BTW, the bridge that McQueen and Sally drive along, in the mountains well outside of Radiator Springs, is on the attraction).

So, technically, Cars Land encompasses Radiator Springs and the surrounding areas of geography located nearby... if you want to get serious about details...

MadasaHatter
09-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Disneyland. Adventureland. Tomorrowland. Hollywoodland. Fantasyland. Froniterland. Carsland. Hmmmmm. What do these words have in common.

Yoiks. Color me SarcasticasaHatter.....

Bytebear
09-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Condor Flats, Toon Town, Paradise Pier? Should they be renamed to Airplaneland, Toontownland or Paradise Pierland?

IllusionOfLife
09-06-2011, 09:32 AM
How about New Orleans Square, Critter Country, Main Street, U.S.A., and Buena Vista Street. The whole "______-land" idea, while certainly iconic, is not all encompassing, and in many cases, would be less appropriate than another name. New Orleans Square is certainly better than Jazzland or New Orleans Land, just as Main Street, U.S.A. is much better than Marcelineland. Our argument is that, in this case, Radiator Springs is a much better name than Cars Land because, like New Orleans Square or Toontown, it's actually recreating a place that already has a name.

As I've said, I certainly understand the reasoning behind the decision, but that doesn't make me agree with it any more.

ShelbyH
09-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I would love for it to be Radiator Springs but I really do think the Land part is probably the biggest determining factor. Yes, there are other lands that aren't "lands" but I really think that this is the direction TDA wants to go with DCA. My guess would be any new land opening In DCA will have a Land name. I do like that it's properly called Cars Land rather than Carsland because Carsland is a rather ugly word.

Also, at DL, Main Street is to take you into the lands. Everything that branches off of Main Street is a Land. The non-lands are off of the hub. I think TDA is trying to go back to the original convention. BVS is a street like MS and is no more meant to be a land than MS is.

iceman559
09-06-2011, 10:32 AM
I would love for it to be Radiator Springs but I really do think the Land part is probably the biggest determining factor. Yes, there are other lands that aren't "lands" but I really think that this is the direction TDA wants to go with DCA. My guess would be any new land opening In DCA will have a Land name. I do like that it's properly called Cars Land rather than Carsland because Carsland is a rather ugly word.

Also, at DL, Main Street is to take you into the lands. Everything that branches off of Main Street is a Land. The non-lands are off of the hub. I think TDA is trying to go back to the original convention. BVS is a street like MS and is no more meant to be a land than MS is.

Exactly. The whole idea of the new DCA direction is "what it was like when Walt came", right? Well, why not go back to that treasured history of Walt himself. When the park opened, EVERYTHING was "-land", aside from Main Street, which is strictly that...the main street to get into the rest of the park. Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Frontierland and Adventureland. The four originals. New Orleans Square opened up just before Walt's death. Bear Country (later Critter Country) didn't open until March 1972, a little over five years after Walt's death.

So, the first non "-land" opened about six months before Walt died, and the next one wasn't until five years and three months (roughly) after he passed away. Though, I do think "Hollywoodland" sounds childish. But I like the idea of Cars Land, especially for the reason mentioned by Mr. OlegC. There's more to Cars Land than JUST Radiator Springs. That'd be like calling Tomorrowland "Spaceland" or Adventureland "Jungleland". You'd be naming it based on a subset of locations and not encompass the entire theme.

IllusionOfLife
09-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Though, I do think "Hollywoodland" sounds childish.

The [Hollywood sign] was first erected in 1923 and originally read "HOLLYWOODLAND". Its purpose was to advertise the name of a new housing development in the hills above the Hollywood district of Los Angeles…

In 1949 the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce began a contract with the City of Los Angeles Parks Department to repair and rebuild the sign. The contract stipulated that "LAND" be removed to spell "Hollywood" and reflect the district, not the "Hollywoodland" housing development.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Sign)
So during the time when the new DCA is set, the time when Walt Disney first arrived in Los Angeles, the area would still have been known as Hollywoodland, thus making the name completely appropriate, although admittedly silly sounding.

Bytebear
09-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Hollywood was actually called Hollywoodland from 1924 to 1949, so it's not a Disney made up thing.

iceman559
09-06-2011, 10:52 AM
So during the time when the new DCA is set, the time when Walt Disney first arrived in Los Angeles, the area would still have been known as Hollywoodland, thus making the name completely appropriate, although admittedly silly sounding.

I didn't say it wasn't appropriate. Just that I thought it sounds childish. ;) "Hollywoodland" just sounds like a two year old came up with the name. It's not the lack of creativity, but just...hard to explain. Maybe it's that there's too many O's and L's in a relatively short word, idk. Just something about it sounds really childish to me, appropriately named or not. :P

Hollywood was actually called Hollywoodland from 1924 to 1949, so it's not a Disney made up thing.

Like I said, I never once said Disney made it up. Just that it sounds childish. And it would have sounded just as childish to me back then as well.

Vegitabeta
09-07-2011, 01:28 PM
I still think Radiator Springs sounds better. They should call it that, most guests would probably visit it to find out what it was if they didn't know right?

olegc
09-07-2011, 01:40 PM
I still think Radiator Springs sounds better. They should call it that, most guests would probably visit it to find out what it was if they didn't know right?

that's a 50-50 guess... as I said in one of my earlier posts - many of the "once each 2 or 3 years" guests call things by what THEY are familiar with- they don't "get it" after a while.. they don't really even know lands that much - just the rides. it's not everyone, but it's one part of the discussion.

i think you can say carsland faster - so it's cleaner. just a thought.

iceman559
09-07-2011, 02:11 PM

But the point of building a whole huge land isn't to hope that some people might venture over to the park to figure out what it is. It's to draw people in. The only way to do that is to make sure they make an immediate connection to what they know.

And honestly, it depends on if you're talking once they are in the park or in getting them to the park. Once the guest is in the park and has a map, I think it's they know it or they don't based on the map. So at that point, I don't think the name matters as much as what they display in the map. However, in terms of getting people to the park, I doubt nearly as many people will go to the park thinking "Hmm, I have no idea what this new land is, but let's pay a decent chunk of change to find out!" compared to "Oh my gosh! A Cars themed land at Disneyland (Resort)?! Let's go!" It's all about getting people into the park, and Cars Land makes the connection to anyone who has seen Cars or heard about, compared to the percentage of that same group that have actually seen it and remember Radiator Springs.

StarTourist
09-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I think that it should be named Radiator Springs. 'Cars Land' is probably the unfortunate result of the working title of the new 'land' becoming the actual title.

DwarfPlanet
09-07-2011, 02:37 PM
I gotta go with Radiator Springs also.

PhineasTheGhost
09-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Doin my research and found out it was originally Carland which would have just been about cars in California instead of the movie. However I think it's strange they didn't change it. He's part 1 of a video I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eKFe5ALs-c&feature=youtu.be

ShelbyH
09-08-2011, 10:56 AM
I agree that despite its autheticity, Hollywoodland does sound like something my 2yo would come up with :D. Still, it is the Land.