PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland in September or November??

tstan70
06-12-2003, 09:08 AM
I am planning a trip for my small family and I can't decide between late September or early november. last year we went in early november and loved seeing the holiday decorations and the crowds were small - but it rained for 4 days straight!

I haven't been in the month of September for years and wondered from all you locals which dates you would prefer. I would rather go in a less crowded time and give up a few attractions than a crowded time and have it all.

September 20-27 or November 7-14

any help????

MammaSilva
06-12-2003, 09:10 AM
Well I'm not local but I've been during both of those time frames, the down side of September is that it seems that the day after the Labor Day weekend the park goes to early closes and a LOT of stuff is down for rehab. We had a hard time finding a place to eat open after six in the evening...November... you risk more 'winter' type weather, but the parks are decked out for the Holiday, the HM makeover is in place.... if it were me... I would risk the November dates.

tstan70
06-12-2003, 10:09 AM
thanks for the input.

this may be blasfamy, but i was not all that excited about the Nightmare before Christmas overlay for Haunted Mansion, so that one I can do without... but yes, the holiday decorartions are fabulous. I am leaning toward september as I am dying to get back to DLR ASAP!

smaller crowds at end of September or early November????

tjrj
06-12-2003, 11:34 AM
It depends on what are priorities for you. We've been at both of those times of the year. Last visit in November and the trip prior in September. Both times we found the crowds to be very light. September we found to be still warm enough for swimming which is really important to our younger son. And, yes, the park closed early but we found that to be a bonus as it let us do other stuff off-property or just get to bed a bit earlier. We also were at the parks on the weekend nights so that the kids could experience the magic of the parks at night. November had the absolutely wonderful holiday experience which we had never done before-but the weather, as you said, was colder and more "iffy".

kisroo
06-13-2003, 12:18 AM
It really does depend on what is most important to you. Like mammasilva indicated late Sept risks a lot of ride closures, whereas in November more of the rides are *usually* up for the pre-holidays. Weather is obviously nicer in late Sept, although I've had great luck in late Oct-early Nov for weather as well. I think that November would probably be more crowded, but it is still "off-season" (although the past few times I've been "off-season" it has varied widely, depending on "special events" going on in and around DLR...). But, I would think that late Sept would be slightly less crowded. More and more people seem to be going pre-holiday for the decor and for NBCHM. I love the holiday decor, but also like seeing DL like it always is without the decorations.
One thing I've done is checked the Anahiem Convention calendar to see if they are hosting any "big" conventions/conferences during the times I'm looking at going. Just a thought.
Boy...that was a lot of help, eh?! I'm sure you'll have fun no matter what! :)
~kisroo

EandCDad
06-13-2003, 05:12 AM
It seems that when the Christmas decorations go up, the park gets more crowded. However, I would still go for November. Early November is a great time as you get all the Christmas stuff and don't have the crowds you see in December. The weather is usually ok, your four straight days of rain seems like a bit of a fluke.

tstan70
06-13-2003, 06:28 AM
thanks to all...

I think it may come down to this... my family and I are dying to go and september comes before november! He he he!
I think in weighing the options, I would rather take my family, (wife, toddler, baby) in a less crowded time(september) and spend more time enjoying the sections of the park that can get crowded (fantasyland, etc)

Looking back at my 30+ years of disneyland visits, all of my favorite days were low season visits - my favorite coming last year when my wife, my then 2 yr old and I spent just under 2 hrs on a near-deserted thursday evening in the park. We did everything in under two hours that would take all day on a saturday. We love disneyland, think the parades and high-season events are great, but for us, DL is now about seeing it through my daughter's eyes. She absolutely loves the rides and has a difficult time waiting to get on the rides, so for us, it makes sense to go at a less-crowded time and feel like DL is open just for us...

Yippeee!!! I get to go 2 months earlier than i thought!!!:D

DivaPrincess
06-14-2003, 07:26 PM
We went for 5 days last September. We started on Saturday afternoon, pretty much just hanging out and mainly because I had never seen Fantasmic! Sunday was also a bit crowded, but many more characters were out and shows happening. The next three days were sheer bliss - we rarely had to wait in line more than a few minutes. Sure, some restaurants are closed and some of the E-tickets were down, but with small children, it was ideal. I hope your family has a blast!

jazzjunkie
06-14-2003, 10:26 PM
I went in mid-late November last year, and Christmas decorations were up, the parade with Santa was on, and HM still had its Nightmare Before Christmas overlay. For a non-local, that was ideal since I got to see both!

Allison
06-16-2003, 09:49 AM
If the major attractions are important to you, i.e. Indy, Splash, etc.
choose November. There is plenty to do, but depends how often you can visit. If you can't visit often, I wouldn't want to miss the major attractions.
It's true September is still warm enough to swim, but with so much down for refurbishment, it could be a let-down. But as its been said it depends on what you want out of your visit.
BTW, The first week of Sep. is great, the hours are still long, and the renovations haven't begun yet.