PDA

View Full Version : Armchair Imagineers [Merged Threads]

PhineasTheGhost
08-21-2011, 02:36 PM
I have posted my ideas before for a Hollywoodland expansion but here's a more detailed version.

Here's pretty much the queue for the Magic Castle Dark Ride (Unnamed, suggestions?). Here are some pictures of Magic Castle incase you don't know what it looks like.

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Images/Slides/MagicCastle.JPG

http://thingsyoushoulddo.com/wp2/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/magic-castle.jpg

http://druidentertainment.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/The-Magic-Castle-magic-6846979-1200-927.jpg

At the entrance you see a fountain with two AA birds in it. You partially wait outside in the queue. While you're outside some trees ocationally twitch or try to tap you. Incase you didin't realize they're animatronics. You then enter the building where you see an intable with a big mirror over it. On the intable is a pad of paper and an inkwell with a peacock feather in it. Walk down some more where you pass by a big hallway with two lamps on each side of it with an orangish glow. You then pass by three big book shelfs covered in dusty old books about how to "make yourself disappear" and things like that.Next you enter an elevator where you see four stain glass windows, which are really screens, and a fireplace with a big picture of the head magician of Magic Castle. You then descend down where you hear the backstory of the ride coming from two statues on the mantel of the fireplace. Also on the mantel are an hour glass, two small boats, some statues of birds, and a skull with a candle on it. The elevator is the same size as the stretching room in the haunted mansion. At the end of the elevator sequence lightning flashes from behind the painting and the magician's eyes glow bright red. At the same time all the stain glass photos would have a picture of the cursed statue on them and it's eyes glowing red as well and everything else is dark. You then walk a little more where you see two staircases. At the top of the staircases you see to statues of beautiful women holding candles.

You then board your vehicles wich look like the ones from Mystic Manor, but these are on a track. You then see the monkey from Mystic Manor rubbing the statue, instead of opening a box. You then enter the game room where you see an eight ball table, a pokerr table, and a game of chess, all being played by themselfs. The rest of the ride is the same as Mystic Manor but with a statue instead of a box.

Here's the backstory to the ride:

A formerly famous magician at the turn of the century, down on his luck after having his best illusions stolen, revamped and used by his archrival....in desperation to regain his noteriety and fame travels to an unknown island in the Carribean to find a sacred statue. It is rumored to bring the possessor knowledge and power over the physical world we live in....enabling the ability to make things disappear and reapper, or the wearer himself to do the same. The magician decides he needs this satue so he can claim the title of greatest magician and illusionist of all time.

The magician finds the satue with the help of a local tracker, who the magician promises to take with him to America, once they have the idol in their possession. They find the satue in the hands of a feared voodoo witch doctor, and through an elaborate scheme, they steal it and escape into the night. The witch doctor, enraged by this casts a spell and curses whomever possesses the stolen satue and anything connected with it. By direct contact or through any means the satue is used to give the bearer wealth, power, health, or any other benefit, a curse will be cast that person and all connections to him.

Unaware of the curse, the magician uses the satue's power to create amazing and unheard of new illusions, causing him to enseat his rival as the greatest illusionist in all the world and thus aiding in his acquiring his vast wealth. With this newfound power, he builds the Manor and begins to travel around the world, collecting artifacts in order to possess the power any of them may contain. Some items are no more than mere figureheads and decorative while a rare few actually have a bit of power which he harnesses to supplement his skills in magic and illusion.

Eventually, the magician is inquired to invest in a hotel which is to be built down the hill from his mansion. He eventually decides to do so, but on the condition of anonymity which is granted. The hotel is very successful until that fateful night when tragedy struck....and the Hollywood Tower Hotel, becomes the Hollywood Tower of Terror...no one dared stay within it's walls again.

Since the magician's fame, wealth, the manor and the Hotel were obtained by possession of this satue, they all become cursed by it....the Magician mysteriously disappeared and his manor fell into disrepair. Years later his great nephew takes over the house and in order to afford the upkeep, he turns it into a museum. Over the years, strange occurances have been reported at the manor but it remains open to daring guests who bravely or foolishly continue to visit the grounds to see for themselves what exists within the walls of the house on the hill and run the risk of falling prey to the curse of the satue themselves...

I will post more of Hollywoodland expansion idea later.

Drince88
08-21-2011, 05:12 PM
What's an intable? (I tried googling and came up empty)

Where would this go? Or are space restrictions not a concern from the armchair?

leota's necklace
08-21-2011, 08:41 PM
I think it's an "end table". These posts are just too much to work to digest so I tend to skip them.

iceman559
08-22-2011, 06:02 AM
Also, you should stop essentially ripping-off other rides. It seems like every time you bring up an idea, you mention a few other rides that already exist. Be original, or at least use something that hasn't been made into a ride yet!

When WDI is creating a ride, I doubt they think about the ride in terms of other rides. Don't worry about the technical details of how to do something. Just dream it. If WDI said "well, what can we do with the technology and tricks we have already", we'd never get the awesome new rides like TSMM, Soarin', or even Test Track/Radiator Springs Racers! Part of Imagineering is just that, IMAGIN(ING).

Now, reusing awesome effects from other rides or something, that's all well and good, but in this post alone, you compared this ride to two other rides and one real place. And, in all honesty, every part of your idea before you say to copy Mystic Manor seems just like a re-theming of the Haunted Mansion. So it really seems like a slight variation of Haunted Mansion, followed by a direct copy of Mystic Manor.

What would make someone say "I wan't to go on 'Magic Castle Dark Ride'! Forget the Haunted Mansion/Mystic Manor"?

PhineasTheGhost
08-22-2011, 06:11 PM
I noticed my typo after I posted this. Sorry.

@iceman559, how many people do you know would fly to Hong Kong Disneyland and go on Mystic Manor? There are only two reasons someone would do that, because they have family in Hong Kong or they are Disney obsesed. So by brining a similar attraction to DCA it would work fine. They have ToT here but that's different. We also have Muppet Vision, It's Tough To Be A Bug, Soarin, and others and those are exact clones of them (With the exeption of ToT).

P.s. Don't forget, Mystic Manor is cursed, not haunted.

PhineasTheGhost
08-22-2011, 08:19 PM
What's an intable? (I tried googling and came up empty)

Where would this go? Or are space restrictions not a concern from the armchair? Here's a couple screenshot from Google Maps.
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/283446_121140604645335_100002481872036_155144_4965 467_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/282644_120156401410422_100002481872036_150717_4684 935_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263796_117626454996750_100002481872036_140207_6505 768_n.jpg (This one is a picture of the entire park, look to the right corner)

Bytebear
08-22-2011, 10:53 PM
I wouldn;t mind a water ride in DCA like Small World/Pirates, but the theme could be just about anything, as long as it had good atmoshphere. Maybe Ratatouille in the sewers of Paris, or maybe the Rescuers. But it's hard to find something that fits the theme of California. I suppose you could use the Magic Castle as a forethought and then enter a magical world of magicians and illusion. The Sorcerer's Apprentice or maybe National Treasure themes.

PhineasTheGhost
08-23-2011, 01:44 PM
I keep meaning to rent Sorcerer's Apprentice from my local library but every time I go it's checked out. I'm unaware if the movie Night at the Museum is Disney but if so then they could put a reference in it like you pass by a gigantic skeleton dinasour that comes to life in the ride .

Hang on... that sounds pretty cool! :p

iceman559
08-24-2011, 05:44 AM
Night at the Museum is 20th Century Fox. I wouldn't expect to see it at a Disney park anytime soon.

PhineasTheGhost
08-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Night at the Museum is 20th Century Fox. I wouldn't expect to see it at a Disney park anytime soon. Oh well. I'm still gonna use the dinosaur idea though. It would be in the trophy room. Also in there would be a copy of the vulture in Club 33 and Mex, Melvin, and Buff as a tribute. Along with others.

Bytebear
08-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Pixar is making a dinosaur themed movie.

PhineasTheGhost
08-26-2011, 02:21 PM
That sounds cool. What's it gonna be like?

Bytebear
08-26-2011, 04:10 PM
The concept as far as I know is that the meteor that struck the earth causing Dinosaur extinction didn't happen, and so it looks at what life would be like today if Dinos still were around. I just hope it's not like that Dinosaurs sit-com.

PhineasTheGhost
08-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Do you know when it's gonna come out?

disneyland addict13
08-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Do you know when it's gonna come out?

I believe it's being released sometime in 2013.

PhineasTheGhost
09-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Hey ya'll. Just wondering if there were any other armchair imagineers on this site.

familymemories
09-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Hey ya'll. Just wondering if there were any other armchair imagineers on this site.

Just curious what is an armchair imagineer?

PhineasTheGhost
09-02-2011, 04:43 PM
An armchair imagineer is somebody who isn't a real imagineer but designers attractions and such. A good example is my thread about Magic Castle Dark Ride.

PhineasTheGhost
09-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Hey ya'll. Just wanted to show you something Hawk671 from Micechat came up with for Hollywoodland at DCA.

"B) Donald’s Highway Hang-Up: This is an all new attraction that would take the place of the old millionaire building. It would be an all new indoor rollercoaster attraction. Guests enter the streamline moderne façade of the Hollywoodland Luxury Car Company. This post is getting so long so I’ll give you a brief jist of the attraction. In the queue you would pass through the offices of the limo company (everything would be themed to the 1930’s). You guests are supposed to be the high profile clients who have arrived waiting to be driven to a grand film premiere. Inside, guests encounter Donald who is a driver for the company..but he is fast asleep at the office desk. Daisy can be heard yelling through the radio saying, “ Donald come in….answer please…the guests should be there by now for the premiere….where are you?” The conflict is Donald has to get guests to the film premiere on time…and like all things with Donald…things may take a crazy turn. Guests board rollercoaster trains themed to 1940’s limos. The load area opens up to a 3d mural of the Hollywoodland hills. The limo (with Donald supposedly at the wheel) launches off into darkness at high speed. All set to a swing soundtrack, the limo would rocket through blacklit pop art cutouts of old Hollywood landmarks. The coaster would be along the lines of space mountain in terms of thrill level. At the last turn guests would pass a group of paparazzi with flashing cameras as they pull up to a small little post ride show scene. The flashes would actually take a picture like most Disney coaster available for purchase. The car comes to a cruise and passes a small showscene of a grand premiere of Graumanns Chinese theater with old cars, ballyhoo lights, and more. Guests then exit.

New Façade with Hollywoodland hillscape rockwork:
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/320735_146412892118106_100002481872036_249482_8766 52204_n.jpg "

I personally liked it and thought it would work better though in the Muppets theatre, Stage 17, and then combine the buildings (Look on Google Maps to see what I mean).

MadasaHatter
09-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Sounds like fun!
I'd ride it.
I'm over the Muppets 3D...
Of course I am mad!

AVP
09-11-2011, 09:40 AM
There is no need for three "armchair Imagineering" threads to be going at one time. Please use this merged thread for all future discussions.