PDA

View Full Version : Allergic to something at Disneyland? (cue Twilight Zone music)

MidwayManiac
08-31-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm really beginning to feel like I'm in a Twilight Zone episode with all the eerie music playing in my head as I type this.  In the past 2 and 1/2 weeks I have had 3 hives outbreaks. Beside perhaps the fact I'd never had hives in my life before, there's nothing remarkably interesting about the story so far. People have allergic reactions to things and hives can be the result, yada yada.

But here's where it gets bizarre: all three outbreaks have occurred while at or within minutes of leaving Disneyland Resort.  Lately I've also done several other hot and strenuous activities (a couple 10Ks, a couple basketball games, workouts, yardwork) that could/should precipitate a hives outbreak, but they never do.  Disneyland is the one trigger or at least only common denominator among all three outbreaks.  So weird. 

A steady 4 day treatment of oral steroid quickly subdues the reaction each time without trouble, and if I visit DLR during a 4 day cycle while I'm medicated (as I've done twice) there's no problem. However my other three recent trips while not on steroids, hives have resulted. I'll be back to the Dr. soon and hopefully he'll be intrigued by this series of events. In the meantime, you're the park experts ....

Ever hear of such a thing?

moofeet
08-31-2011, 03:12 AM
Maybe they're "Happiness Hives"???

rph13
08-31-2011, 03:58 AM
No. but a couple of things to think about...

- did you recently add a new food or snack to your park touring?
- did you recently add a new ride that has either a smell or water with it? (smell - could be triggering an allergic reaction, water also could if it has certain chemicals in it, my BIL is allergic to chlorine and gets hives from certain chlorinated pools)
- do you always wear the same sweatshirt or jacket to the park or same back pack? could be something on them.

Another thing to think about there is such a thing as stress hives, which this could be.
Good luck I hope you can figure it out.
Oh, just thought of something else. I have read on these boards about the cats that roam around Disneyland, could you be coming in contact with them or places they have been?

fairestoneofall
08-31-2011, 05:06 AM
Rph13- that was me. My DH had a pretty severe allergic reaction to the feral cats at DL a few trips ago. Thiscwas his first reaction on the park andvwe go about twice a month. As far as we could tell, they were probably on the table (the night before) that we ate breakfast at. This was the most severe cat reaction I have ever seen him have in our 16 years of marriage.

DwarfPlanet
09-01-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm wondering if it could be being triggered by some of the dust coming from work in the area?

MidwayManiac
12-12-2011, 11:16 AM
I've meant to follow up on this thread but for whatever reason never did ....

Mainly just to say my theory was incorrect and, no, I am not allergic to something at DLR. It was merely a coincidence, and an odd one at that, that my initial 3 or 4 hives outbreaks occured at or shortly after leaving DLR. Eventually I got them other times/places.

Long story short through a few more Dr. visits and studying turns out I contracted a case of chronic hives which lasts anywhere 3 to 9 months (garden variety hives usually subside within a couple weeks). I know it sounds icky and gross but it's not as awful as it sounds, at least in my case. My symptoms are easily controlled through 10 mgs Calritin when they arrive, which isn't often. My Dr. says I'm lucky and that some people with chronic hives can't control the symptoms through generation 1 or 2 antihistamines or diet or steriods or lifestyle changes. So as unpleasant as the troubleshooting period was, at least it was only a couple weeks and we figured out a fix and I really do feel fortunate.

3Princesses1Prince
12-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Good to hear its under control and not that you're allergic to mice. ;)
My oldest used to get hives from the cold virus when she was a toddler/preschooler. Not so much fun when I'd have to pick her up from day care for having a "rash" and they wouldn't let her come back until after a doctor visit.

MidwayManiac
12-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Good to hear its under control and not that you're allergic to mice. ;)

Thanks 3P1P. I've heard the saying When you have your health, you have everything and never gave it a second thought. But this last six months has taught me it's so, so true. Lately I've had an eventful run of injuries, surgeries, and ailments.
I've got nothing to complain about; relative to most health issues mine are minor. But during those times when it's bad it's real bad and life grinds to a halt not just physically, but emotionally, psychologically, spiritually. I have a new appreciation for my health.

foolishmortal
12-14-2011, 03:56 PM
MM...so glad you hear your OK! Hives are so not fun. I have to be careful at DL with all the sea food around now. I have to remind myself to NOT hold the bar on POTC and HM. It seems that when i forget that, I end up really sick or break out.

Benadryl is my best friend and allergy meds and that moment.

Glad to hear you have something to help manage it. Health matters a lot, take care of yourself.