PDA

View Full Version : Fanny packs?

Pages : [1] 2

miltonmorris
06-11-2003, 01:44 PM
What can you take in. How big is too big for a carry bag?

milton

Mickeyslittlehelper
06-11-2003, 01:58 PM
Last August we went in with pretty large "fanny packs" (the ones around your waist). It held a camera, large wallet, etc. and we just had to quickly unzip it to show the staff, but they didnt really care. But i dont know since August though.

Hope this helps a bit,
John

femmfaerie
06-11-2003, 02:10 PM
I carry my back pack everywhere I go and it was not a problem

HBTiggerFan
06-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Personally I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a fannypack. I take my backpack normally and stuff it full of Arrowhead water (the parks sell Dasani) and my wallet, camera and various toiletrees (lotion, chapstick, sunblock). If you don't want to carry a huge backpack they have smaller backpack purse type things (that guys could carry, they aren't girly).

Security will look into any bag you bring at the park, but they don't care if you bring in your own water or snacks.

KateyMcButterpants
06-11-2003, 05:22 PM
yeah, fanny packs are for middle aged ladies playing the slot machines. Very tacky. That being said, we bring a fairly large diaper bag with us. Security checks it, as they do all bags, but they don't seem to care how large a bag you bring.

MonorailMan
06-11-2003, 05:54 PM
Fanny Packs do work for me, however may "tacky" it may look. I's great, because It stores the lttle things I need for the day. However, I don't keep it exposed, if I'm not using it, or the checker isn't checking!

Kinda of a funny story: Were getting ready to enter DL a second time, and when they checked our pack the first time, they just looked, and waved. However, we got a CM that demanded we take it off. This is a huge hassle for me, because I put mine through the belt loops. So, mom just walked away from her, and went to another CM who just, basically waved us through. Don't mess with mom and her fanny pack. :D :p

LibraryGirl
06-11-2003, 06:50 PM
I have always carried a backpack into the park (the standard JanSport) and while it has been peered into, there has never been a problem with me bringing it in.

It's handy for all sorts of things!!
I like to carry a deck of cards with me so my family can play cards while we wait for Fantasmic to start (on the times that we are not on the Fantasmic balcony).

Not Afraid
06-11-2003, 06:55 PM
I have carried a fanny pack, a backpack purse, a very large purse or a very large tote bag. No matter what you carry, you will get searched. Take what will be useful to you. I, too, hate the way fanny packs look, but sometimes they are the most useful item to carry. You have to remember that Disneyland is NOT the fashion capital of the world - despite what I or others may say.;)

Mickeyslittlehelper
06-11-2003, 07:47 PM
On my last trip I wore a fanny pack :D and it was great, it had everything i needed, it wasnt bulky so it didnt bother me walking in crowds, stores, on rides, etc. Isnt a backpack a pain to carry around? And if you think fanny's are for girls, you can kind of hide it under your shirt. Ohhh and the thing i use is not a fanny!!!! its a thing the goes around your waist to hold a cd player! so there lol

Pooh
06-12-2003, 05:28 AM
Speaking of bags being searched at the gate, has anyone had their jacket searched? The only time I seemed to get stopped to have my jacket searched is when I wear a brown corduroy one with Winnie the Pooh on it that came from the Disney store! The CM just asked me to open it up so he/she could check the inside lining.
The 3rd time it happened, I commented that I was never searched when I wore ANY OTHER JACKET, just my DISNEY Pooh one! Ironic, huh?:confused:

lilbitopxedust
06-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Kinda of a funny story: Were getting ready to enter DL a second time, and when they checked our pack the first time, they just looked, and waved. However, we got a CM that demanded we take it off. This is a huge hassle for me, because I put mine through the belt loops. So, mom just walked away from her, and went to another CM who just, basically waved us through. Don't mess with mom and her fanny pack. :D :p

just so's you know, we CMs more or less required to ask you to take it off. I know it ****es people off and it's annoying, but I'm pretty short, and for me, it's harder to have to get on tiptoes with someone really tall to look into the depths of their fanny pack (I hate bag checking).

Sometimes, if there's a family wearing fanny packs or just a bunch of people in a row wearing them, I don't bother to ask them to take it off because it's just a lot of bother and it takes me longer (plus I had some lady grumbling about how she was never coming back, ALL BECAUSE I ASKED HER TO TAKE OFF HER STUPID FANNY PACK...is it REALLY that hard to make things easier for a CM?), but if the fanny-packers are few and far between I ask them to take it off. But it's better to be prepared and just not put it on till you get in the park.

Also, to answer the original question, there's no size limit on what you can carry in, as far as bags and backpacks go. However, luggage isn't allowed inside the park, so a suitcase is out. In addition, those wheeled backpacks (I have one, they're great for weekender plane trips) are allowed as long as they're carried on your back or stowed in a locker; you're not allowed to wheel them within the park.

The only thing there's a "size limit" on is coolers. The small, six-pack sized ones are allowed inside; anything bigger has to be stowed in the picnic lockers adjacent to the picnic area.

Lost Boy
06-12-2003, 08:33 AM
I hate carrying anything into the Park, search or no search. They are heavy, awkward and only good to stuff things in that you buy. So I go to the outside Picnic Area and get one the large lockers there (these big lockers are huge, cost about $2 more than the largest locker inside the park, and just stuff my backpack in there. I may make a couple of trips out to the locker to put things in that I don't want to carry around the Park and then when I am ready, I just get it out, put all the stuff I have purchased inside and head off to the bus for the trip home. To me it's hard enough to get through the crowds without having to worry about baning someone with something hanging from my back. And the extra strain on my back is not worth it.

lilbitopxedust
06-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
I hate carrying anything into the Park, search or no search.

Me too. The most I ever take with me is my backpack. If I just bring my purse, I carry it with me, but I'd just rather be more or less empty-handed when I go to DL. It's easier.

LibraryGirl
06-12-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
You have to remember that Disneyland is NOT the fashion capital of the world - despite what I or others may say.;)

:eek: :eek: :eek: WHAT?????:eek: :eek: :eek:

What am I going to do with my Vera Wang inspired by Prada imitation Burberry Mickey Ears? ;)

cstephens
06-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Pooh
Speaking of bags being searched at the gate, has anyone had their jacket searched?

Yep, I've had them ask me to open my jacket.

JPIVERSON
06-12-2003, 12:58 PM
It's amazing how someone who says " Every generation raised with intolerance creates another generation to commit hate crimes. Break the cycle!" is so intolerant about fanny packs. They may not be the most fashionable, but they're great for carrying a camera, some snacks and other incidentals while keeping your hands free. :p

06-12-2003, 01:17 PM
Reminder: Attack the message not the messenger. Keep it friendly and courteous. Anything less will result in a warning.

-Helen / 3894

femmfaerie
06-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
To me it's hard enough to get through the crowds without having to worry about baning someone with something hanging from my back.

I carry my back pack for the exact opposite, if your bumped with my back pack your obviosly too close, like when I am in line for a ride - it helps me keep my bubble ...althought when walking though crowds I do hold it to my chest - I wouldn't want to take out a small child with it or anything.

adriennek
06-12-2003, 01:54 PM
If we're taking the kids I have a really awesome backpack diaper bag. It hangs on the stroller when we're not in line. When we're in line, I wear it like a backpack or over my shoulder with the shoulder strap.

But backpacks get kinda bulky. If I don't have that much stuff, a fanny pack is a lot easier to carry around and stow on rides. I'm also less likely to bump into other people with it. Sometimes I carry it on my waist, other times I just slip it over my shoulder like a purse.

I've even been known to carry the diaper bag and the fanny pack. The diaper bag can stay on the stroller with diapers, etc in it. Then I can grab the fanny pack off the stroller quickly when we get in line. That has my wallet and valuables in it.

Fanny packs do their job efficiently. It's all good.

Adrienne

J-L
06-12-2003, 06:01 PM
We used both ~ a Lands End fanny pack and an LL Bean Backpack. I loved the fanny pack because it was just around my waist and I was hands free. I had my $, tickets, camera, keys, license, credit card in it. My husband had the backpack which held the autograph books, camcorder, snacks and a few water bottles. It was great to have both.

My daughters had their own very small backpacks with cash, and a few other things inside that they thought they needed.

Entering the park we had to open our bags - even the girls and if we wore a zippered jacket, then open it up. It really wasn't a big deal. Good to be safe.....:)

tracilicious
06-12-2003, 06:06 PM
the mere name "fanny pack" is enough to deter me from wearing one. they may be useful, but i always feel embarrassed for the people i see wearing them.

~<:)traci

HBTiggerFan
06-12-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by JPIVERSON
It's amazing how someone who says " Every generation raised with intolerance creates another generation to commit hate crimes. Break the cycle!" is so intolerant about fanny packs.

I didn't say that I wanted to go out and kill people who wear fannypacks, nor did I say that I think fannypacks should be illegal because they are morally wrong. I said I wouldn't be caught dead in one. Theres a difference.

LibraryGirl
06-12-2003, 06:52 PM
I think HP has her rights to not like fanny packs. As to her comments, I didn't see anything that was wrong with them.

I, personally, don't like them nor do I wear them. My father wears fanny packs. It doesn't bother me when I see him or other people wearing them. It works for them. It just doesn't work for me.

blusilva
06-12-2003, 09:15 PM
A fannypack would be entirely too small for me. No, I need my big ol' backpack. And it really is comfortable for me. I forget I'm wearing it, unless I'm boarding an attraction. The only problem attractions are Star Tours, Indy (there is NO way it stores in the itty bitty netting) and Pooh (the ride vehicles were not built for big humans with big backpacks). Oh, and Rocket Rods. But I don't have to worry about that anymore. ;)

teri
06-12-2003, 09:19 PM
I'd rather be tacky than in pain. I always wear a waist pack - rheumatologist's orders. Couldn't care less how it looks, because neck and shoulder pain I get from carrying a purse, or constantly putting on and taking off a backpack while getting onto rides, just isn't worth it. I don't like cortisone shots. The waist pack can stay on when you board any ride, and that is a definite plus. In case I need to change the look when wearing a dress, my Victorinox waist pack converts to a purse with a detachable shoulder strap and pockets for the waist straps.

BTW, the term "fanny pack" is an obscenity in other countries.