PDA

View Full Version : Cast Member auditions

Pages : [1] 2

sancho
06-10-2003, 04:36 PM
I am just about to finish my college career (at least my undergrad degrees) and I am sort of unsure of what to do. I love DL and SoCal and have considered applying for employment at the DLR. My area of experience is that of hotels (front desk employee and manager for five years) but I would love to work anywhere in the resort. I have little to no dance experience, I have done some musical theatre, I am a man of 28 years...so how realistic is it for me to think that DL would employ me as a CM in something a bit higher than foods or custodial. What sort of skills do they look for.

HBTiggerFan
06-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Well you could work at the hotels (your experience is a plus) or you could work attractions, or you could work in many other positions (other than foods or custodial).

Just apply and interview, highlight your strenghts and play down your weaknesses. Just be aware that DL doesn't pay a living wage for most positions :rolleyes:

mousketeer
06-10-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
Just be aware that DL doesn't pay a living wage for most positions :rolleyes:

You raise a very important issue. SoCal is one of the world's more expensive places to live; near the coast, don't expect to find single family property listed <= $500,000. I believe our living wage is something like $19 per hour, a far cry from the pittance Disney pays its hard-working cast members. As I've said before, try applying to work as a bank teller. It won't be as exciting, but you can always hope for a holdup ;) .

sancho
06-10-2003, 07:03 PM
what is the average salary for a cm. I would need to actually be able to pay my bills and would like to live in the OC area. Perhaps this is a pipe dream.

HBTiggerFan
06-10-2003, 07:15 PM
I think theres a thread around here somewhere, and the info is available on the Disneyland website. I'll poke around in a little bit.

I think the average CM starts around $7/hr and hours are limited depending on how you were hired (CT, CR)... I know that different positions pay more and have more hours.

Orange County is insanely expensive to live in. I don't want to burst your bubble with this, I just want you to be prepared for the cost of living here.

mousketeer
06-10-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by sancho
what is the average salary for a cm. I would need to actually be able to pay my bills and would like to live in the OC area. Perhaps this is a pipe dream.

Sancho, if this is your dream, you will find a way to make it work. You might have to work serious overtime, take a second job, or share an apartment. But if this is your dream, make it your reality. You'll build seniority, someday will advance to a salaried position, and will have your cake and eat it too. ;)

All I can say if to FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!:fez:

sancho
06-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Don't worry...my bubble is fully intact. ;)

What do CM's who actually work there do? Do they commute from Torrance everyday, do they live in tents. One thing I have thought about is getting an apt with other CM's. The truth is, I am not sure if this is feasible. Please offer any and all input...it is greatly appreciated.

sm_cm
06-11-2003, 12:31 AM
If you are just about to finish up college, you could maybe put in for a salaried position, which starts out making more money. As for how to afford to work at Disneyland, most of the people in my department either still live at home, or get an apartment with a friend or three, work at DL as their second job, or are commuters like myself.

Polar33
06-11-2003, 12:48 AM
The Disneyland® Resort Casting (http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/disneyland/home/index.html) web page has a lot of good information including starting hourly pay rates (http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/disneyland/hourly/hourly4.html).

CMs generally commute from all over SoCal...I know of many that drive from LA each day. We had one person for a while who made his daily commute from San Diego. There are flyers that Cast Communications puts out periodically that have roommate availabilities. Also, there are a few apartments that give slight CM discounts.

Originally posted by sancho
...something a bit higher than foods or custodial.
Ahem...I believe you meant to say "something a bit better than foods or custodial." Us "lower" CMs understand that we don't work in the most glamorous roles, but that doesn’t mean that we are second-class.

PhilMP
06-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Polar33
CMs generally commute from all over SoCal...I know of many that drive from LA each day. We had one person for a while who made his daily commute from San Diego. There are flyers that Cast Communications puts out periodically that have roommate availabilities. Also, there are a few apartments that give slight CM discounts.

Ahem...I believe you meant to say "something a bit better than foods or custodial." Us "lower" CMs understand that we don't work in the most glamorous roles, but that doesn’t mean that we are second-class.

I know people who commute from the 909 (me, well...not any more...temporarily), so you're in good company if you want to commute.

Oh, and us being "lower" than everybody else, we must be worth something if the foods starting rate is one of the highet in the resort. ::sigh:: Another Attractions freak, what is the world coming to.

Phil

Niwel
06-11-2003, 09:58 AM
You also might want to check out MousePlanet's Cast Place section. We have a lot of CM stories and advice for anyone interested in working for Disney.
Cast Place (http://www.mouseplanet.com/kevin/index.htm)

Good luck! :)

sancho
06-11-2003, 02:38 PM
It was not my intetntion to demean those of you who work in custodial or food service areas of the resort. Please accept my apologies. From personal experience, I do not find work in either of these areas to be very rewarding. I do not mean to say (as I did in my carelessly worded post) that the work somehow occupies a lower station on some real or imagined hierarchy. Cutodial and food service CMs have added immeasurAgain, I aplogize to those I have offended.

Thank you all for your replies. I would love to hear more, especially from someone who works in a DLR hotel. (Would love to go to work everyday at the GC!)

Rustin
06-11-2003, 06:05 PM
I had a little Disney dream too and I came down for an audition.

We don't make much at all but I'm having more fun then I ever have in my life, and thats actually saying a lot.

I live in anaheim. I share a decent sized 2 bedroom apartment for about $1000/month. I bike to work to save $$$ and I sign up for every open shift thats available. I've been lucky enough to make friends with the schedulers so they let me pick up 7 days a week sometimes and that meens time & a half pay.

Mouseketeer Said it so well. If it's your dream you will figure out how to make it work. I don't get to eat out a lot, but I have found that Rice, Stove Top, and a little chicken soup makes a GREAT meal. :) :)

There is a million ways to save money, and make it all work. Expecially to have the chance to be a part of the show of all shows!.

Just my thoughts.

Rustin

Rustin
06-11-2003, 06:06 PM
PS I work in the Character department, so we get used in resturants, on parks, and in hotels.

So it's not really up your ally. but it's fun as heck

ChipmunkStar
06-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Its better than fun as heck. To me, it's one of the mot fun and personally rewarding experiences I've ever had in my life (all 19 years of it).

Anyways, if you get hired (by interview or audition), there re some resources available to help you find housing with or through other Cast Members. Good luck!

Rustin
06-11-2003, 08:06 PM
ok.. and one day I'm going to learn how to spell.

Morrigoon
06-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Sancho, I just noticed the part where you said you had 5 years hotel front desk manager experience. THAT is what you should be pursuing. Don't look at the hourly jobs, go for the blue ID! (meaning salaried & management jobs)

Many positions at Disney want 5 years management experience, which you have! Check them out on the disney careers website. (http://www.disneycareers.com)

PsychDoc
06-11-2003, 08:47 PM
Wow, I'm very impressed with the CMs commitment to DL. I was just there this week and wondered how much they pay you guys. I saw a number of CMs in their late 20s early 30s and I wondered how they made a living working there. I figured Disney doesn't pay that much to run the attractions. I think it's a shame considering how much money it costs to go to DL. They should spread the wealth! I also decided that when I retire, I want to work at DL just for fun.

MonorailMan
06-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by mousketeer
don't expect to find single family property listed <= $500,000.

Want to make a 89 mile commute? You can find good *new* houses up here for about $200,000.

www.highdesert.com has a lot of information on local Realtors. :)

PhilMP
06-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Sancho, I just noticed the part where you said you had 5 years hotel front desk manager experience. THAT is what you should be pursuing. Don't look at the hourly jobs, go for the blue ID! (meaning salaried & management jobs)

Many positions at Disney want 5 years management experience, which you have! Check them out on the disney careers website. (http://www.disneycareers.com)

No no no, you're too educated for a blue ID. Get a real management job that actually pays, work for Disney part-time in something you enjoy.

From my time, most blue IDs (not all, but most) are college washouts who can't get a job anywhere else, they've just been with the company so long. Just think real life Homer Simpsons.

Morrigoon
06-12-2003, 04:42 PM
I could be wrong of course, but I'm pretty sure Cynthia carries a blue ID... would you call her a college washout? If living in Laguna is the lifestyle of a college washout, by all means, scrub away!

The point I was making is that he's too qualified for a yellow (or heaven forbid, red) ID. That he'd be better off in management.

sancho
06-12-2003, 06:24 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions, info and encouragement. I only have about one year of mgt experience behind this desk. I would also only look to work for Disney until I decide to do grad school. I will just keep an eye open and see what is available next spring when I graduate.

marron-cream
06-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
The point I was making is that he's too qualified for a yellow (or heaven forbid, red) ID. That he'd be better off in management.

Perhaps Cynthia Harriss is no college washout but for the most part Philip is right. In my department, many managers come straight from assistant manager positions at places like the Gap, Target, or Mervyn's.

And having that blue ID doesn't mean instant validation, instant job security. They're actually more susceptible to the whims of upper management because they're not protected by any union. They are expendable and upper management never lets a chance to remind them of that go by.

DivaPrincess
06-14-2003, 10:17 PM
You guys in the Character Department-

How difficult is it to be cast as a face character? I'm just totally curious because I think it would be a blast! I could pull off several of the princesses, and although it's an impossible dream unless I could support my husband and two kids doing it, it would be fun to know the requirements.

pkcdust
06-18-2003, 07:45 AM
The 2 things you need to become a FACE Character at Disneyland:

1. Fall into the height range for your princess
2. Look EXACTLY like the animated character.

The 2nd requirement is quite difficult, as you have no idea if you look EXACTLY like the character until the face diva takes a look at you. She will then tell you who you look like and perhaps let you audition.

The next auditions are at the end of January, 2004. Oh...and don't forget that Disneyland is only 30 min from Hollywood :) In other words, CASTING CALL!

As a side note, at the last character auditions, this one girl was picked out to audition as a face character. EVERYONE pinned her as a perfect Cinderella... but instead the powers that be saw Snow White. She had a do a high "Snow White" voice and read for the park. She was then considered to be on file for upcoming openings, which she would need to audition for.