PDA

View Full Version : California Screamin'

Kconnors
06-10-2003, 03:00 PM
I am trying to get information on the propulsion method for CA Screamin. Can anyone identify the method used at launch and in the middle of the ride? And can you recommend a web site that would have information about it?

swtkissez
06-10-2003, 03:34 PM
I heard that the beginning of the ride is done through magnetism....but i wouldn't know. teehee.:D

Lashbear
06-10-2003, 03:39 PM
It's called a Linear Induction Motor, and you can read about it here (http://www.me.utexas.edu/~uer/roller/tech.html) :fez:

Cheers, Screamin-eers !
Rob :D

Laffite
06-10-2003, 07:02 PM
LIM, Linear Inductor Motors. First introduced as LSM, Linear Synchornous Motors on SUPERMAN at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Warm regards,
Preston.

CrayZforDisney
06-11-2003, 04:10 PM
... all I know is that Test Track, Rocket Rods, and Indiana Jones all break down frequently. So does California Screamin, all these attractions have launching mechanisms, which indicates that Disney imagineers have to work on the launching systems. Has NE1 else noticed this?

DL4EVER
06-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Crazy, um Rocket Rods is dead......Also, I think that the launch systems are different. Where is a launch system used on Indy, because if there is one, then there is one on Dinosaur too......They have like the exact same layout......

MonorailMan
06-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Comparing RR, IJ, and CS is like comparing Walt to Eisner.

Rocket Rods were self-powered, engines. The un-banked PM track caused structural damage, and the way it was set up, they were going through tires a day.

Test Track is the RR was suppose to be done, and they used the same software!

Indiana Jones is another self-powered system. They are fully automated. In fact, with the random ride-type system, no ride is the same twice! THere are over 150,000 combinations of rides. I've found that IJ is still breaking down, because of new Belt software that was installed. It's very buggy, and picky. :)

California Screamin uses magnet LIM powered launches. THe cool thing about this, is that, think of a magnet that has the same poles toward each other, they push hard. So, times that by 100, and you have the CS launch system. They also make great brakes, and they power the lift hill. :) Also, CS mainly breaks down due to "cascades". A cascade is when the trains backup on the track. So, the block system steps in, and safely shuts down the ride. :)

DL4EVER
06-11-2003, 06:31 PM
Is there a reason why the lift itself does not rocket the car forward like the launch does because they are both run by magnets, correct?

lazyboy97O
06-11-2003, 06:53 PM
It doesn't rocket because it isn't suppoesed to. Just because it's LSM doesn't mean it send everything flying. It is all part of the computers that run the coaster.

Batmanfan
06-11-2003, 07:21 PM
The company that makes Cal. Screamin' is Intamin AG of Switzerland. They also built the Xcelarator rollercoaster at Knott's Berry Farm. Their website is found at http://www.intaminworldwide.com/default.htm
They have built several rides around the USA, including Superman which uses LSM, NOT LIM. The first LIM rollercoaster in the U.S. was built by Premier rides and is Outer Limits Flight of Fear.

Their are several different ways to launch the coasters, however magnets seem to be the all the rage. They useally are very good at working with minimal problems.

Cal. Screamin' will shut down for several reasons...if several of the computers do not agree on the trains location, actions, or speed they will shut down the ride and it will not launch. You may not know this, but their are emergency brakes right by the LIMS, so if the coaster can not make the hill, due to high winds, they will stop the train from rolling back into the station. However, these brakes are not as nice on the body since they are emergency and do not provide a nice clean stop.

Icy Bacon
06-11-2003, 08:34 PM
CrayZforDisney, to enlighten you, the other Disney attractions you mentioned are all not rollercoasters, and are all made by Disney. For CS, Disney would've just provided Intamin with the layout they wanted, Warner Stengel's company would've refined the layout (they do banking and track calculations and such on pretty much every swiss coaster) and then Intamin would've manufactured all the systems and the coaster itself.

The LIM system Intamin uses now can infact launch in both directions and at different speeds, as on an "Impulse" coaster like Vertical Velocity up at SF Marine World. Cali Screamin is the only coaster they've made with a low-speed LIM lifthill, and they've definitely refined its programming since opening.

The magnetic brakes on the ride are the same as those on freefall towers- copper fins on the train pass between specially-made magnets, and there is a slowing effect due to the copper. When the brakes are off, the magnets just move slightly out of the way of the fins.