PDA

View Full Version : DL and my father

sancho
06-10-2003, 02:08 PM
My parents (who are now in their mid-fifties) grew up in Wyoming. As children, they would watch the Mickey Mouse Club and see DL on some episodes. Growing up in poor hispanic families, DL for them was, to quote my father, "some place far far away, where only rich people can go." Well, providence can be kind and when my folks began to have us kids, DL became THE vacation spot for our family. My father could barely believe that he could be there and that he could take his family there. Even now, he speaks ecstatically about DL and is excited about taking his new granddaughters (my nieces) there when they get a bit older. For my father, the semi annual trip to DL was the best he could give his family. I love him for showing it to me and for instilling a love for this place in me. I will go as often as I can for the rest of my life.
Does anyone have stories similar to this?

MouseWife
06-10-2003, 03:50 PM
That is a very nice story. :)

Well, I don't have one like that. My folks were the parents when Disneyland was around. LOL

I only know that my father loved Disneyland. He loved to take his kids and he took his mother when she came out from the South.

He loved taking the grandkids and he would take everyone, no matter their ages. {meaning adult and out of the house}.

It didn't take much to twist his arm to take us. ;)

I remember my sister and I fighting over who would be able to ride with him.

When I first took my kids, it was with such emotion that it was unreal. I always think of him there.

sancho
06-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Thank you for sharing the memories of your father.

DL holds many memories of special times with special people who have either passed on or simply passed from my life. Each trip to DL is a little emotional as I take time to remember all the people who have been there with me. :crying:

06-11-2003, 02:39 AM
Sounds like our dads were very much alike, sancho!

When he knew he didn't have much longer to live, he asked for one last trip to Disneyland. Goofy's Kitchen, the Tiki Room,"Honey I Shrunk the Audience", the jazz in NOS, and watching his granddaughters on Dumbo and the carousel were all he could manage. He had a great time. So did we. Thank God for photos, you know?

To me, Disneyland = Dad.

sirstude
06-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Sancho,

I am about the same age as your father, and most of what you said is true for me. My first visit was the year after I was married, and have gone several times since. We are going next month again. Taking my wife, two of our 3 kids, and my In-laws. My daughter is going to be a senior in college and we figure this might be the last trip we can take with her. 6 days in the park and 3 in Las Vegas. I hope your dad gets to go many more times.

Doug

06-11-2003, 01:25 PM
(((sancho))) 'cuz you made my day with this thread. Been thinking about it with a big ol' smile on my face.