PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain WDW better than DLR?

BrerFox
06-10-2003, 10:40 AM
From what I just read from the screamscape award for best water ride, It said Splash mountain............magic kingdom.
Now, this is coming from someone who rarely leaves California (Theres no need to:D .) but whats so much greater about the magic kingdom splash than the one here in Cali?

HBTiggerFan
06-10-2003, 10:44 AM
I think they are the same except for the seating. At WDW they have 5 or 6 rows (I think) of 2 seats each for side by side row seating.

Lani
06-10-2003, 10:55 AM
The ride itself is longer in the Florida version, with a more complete storyline. In addition, I believe the drop is slightly longer.

DL4EVER
06-10-2003, 11:27 AM
The seating arrangement is different, and instead of seeing Brer Bear's, Fox's, and Rabbit's house are all seen indoors and in a really cartoony look. Basically, it is indoors in a part where it is outdoors at Disneyland.......

innerSpaceman
06-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Aside from the drop, they are completely different rides. Florida's is based on a rarely seen Disney film called Song of the South. Since they had to build their own AA's from scratch, they designed them more like the movie's art design - and the same with the sets, which actually look like you are in the movie Song of the South - especially the Zip-a-dee-doo-dah parts.

In Anaheim, with the exception of a coupla B'rer animals (including some B'rer Rabbits that look nothing like the character in the movie), we have the characters from America Sings in settings that, while cool in their own right, do not reflect Song of the South one iota.

Oh yeah, and the seating is side by side in Florida.

Now that they've put in those stupid seat dividers in California, they might as well scrap the illusion of log and go side-by-side here, too. It's much more comfortable.

All in all, though both have their distinct charms, I'd say Florida wins (by a hare).

mousketeer
06-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Also, the riverboat in the DL scene is much larger than that in the WDW scene.

DL4EVER
06-10-2003, 12:40 PM
They cannot go side by side, the flume is not wide enough, it would only have two rows if they could because 3 would weigh too much(they tested 8). I have yet to ride Splash Mountain at Disneyland, but a WDW, I had to sit three to one row, talk about being slightly uncomfortable for my first ride on Splash at any Disney park......Splash at DL is still based on Song of the South, but it has the recycled America Sings critters.....Also, Splash in WDW comes before Haunted Mansion does and is directly across from Big Thunder Mountain. I also like the angle of how it is arranged....

cstephens
06-10-2003, 12:54 PM
I've only been on the WDW version once, but I liked it so much better than DL's version. It was so much brighter and more colorful than ours.

Gemini Cricket
06-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
I've only been on the WDW version once, but I liked it so much better than DL's version. It was so much brighter and more colorful than ours.
I agree. The WDW version is much happier and brighter on the inside. I was very pleased with the side by side seating and it did appear to be a little longer in length.

:)

Disneyfreak
06-11-2003, 05:01 PM
The problem with ours is that ours is not maintained enough. I remember many years ago when you go down the flume the jets would spray really high, now they are very low and nothing has been painted during that huge rehab. The patch looks as bad as it can be and alot of stuff isnt functioning.

RideMax Mark
06-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
I agree. The WDW version is much happier and brighter on the inside. I was very pleased with the side by side seating and it did appear to be a little longer in length.

:)

I, agree. The Florida version is much better.

experiment626
06-11-2003, 09:08 PM
The "show" is much better at WDW.

DisNey DuDe 87
06-11-2003, 09:28 PM
The way you sit on the WDW version is better and more comfortable.

MonorailMan
06-11-2003, 09:32 PM
I personally think it's fairly good, for just mainly being recycled audio-animatronics from America Sings. :p

TP2000
06-12-2003, 02:36 AM
The Florida Splash is much better than Disneyland's. Disneyland's opened in 1989, and I think WDW's opened in 1992 or '93. They took a few years and figured out how to fix the mistakes they made on Disneyland's version.

At WDW the lighting is vastly superior. The sets are designed better, and the entire "Show" looks brighter and crisper and much more colorful. At WDW the audio and set design is spaced and presented much better, and you can actually tell what is going on! It wasn't until I rode the WDW version that I finally figured out what the plotline is for Splash Mountain! The WDW version tells a coherent story, where the Disneyland version is just scene after scene of animals singing loudly about something or other.

What also helps Florida beat California is that the WDW logs travel much slower through the sets than the Disneyland logs. It's not as slow of a trip as Pirates or Small World, but it's much slower than the frantically moving Disneyland logs. There are also more nifty little details in Florida's; for instance when the logs are sent up the "lifts" they travel up gushing waterfalls with hidden mechanicals, rather than the black rubber conveyor belts that transport the logs up the lifts in Disneyland. Another example of nifty detailing in WDW; they have this impressive Brer Rabbit animatronic that "hops" along next to your log at one point, and it's very cool. Disneyland's animatronics just sort of flail around next to the flume, while WDW's animatronics were all custom designed for the specific set in the attraction, and the difference is obvious.

There are more animatronics in the Disneyland Splash, but they are going by so fast and they are just randomly singing about things that it doesn't really improve the ride compared to Florida's version.

Now that I went on Florida's Splash, I have always hoped that they would do a MAJOR rehab on Disneyland's Splash and fix all the mistakes they made. The WDW Splash is about the only major attraction that is obviously vastly superior to the Disneyland version. Most of the other E Tickets at WDW compare favorably, or compare poorly to the Disneyland originals. But Splash Mountain at WDW really blows Disneyland out of the water.

danyoung
06-12-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by DL4EVER
Also, Splash in WDW comes before Haunted Mansion does and is directly across from Big Thunder Mountain...

Say what? Florida's HM is nowhere near Splash - it's clear over on the other side of the Rivers of America. If you're walking from the central hub, you'd come upon HM BEFORE you'd get to Splash.

Not that I'm picky or anything - just not sure what you were trying to point out.

DL4EVER
06-12-2003, 09:07 AM
Not if you're not going from the hub, if you are going from Adventureland, it is first.....look

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/waltdisneyworld/reservations/transportation/mapindex?id=TRANMagicKingdomMap

danyoung
06-16-2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
I think they are the same except for the seating. At WDW they have 5 or 6 rows (I think) of 2 seats each for side by side row seating.

Only to the most superficial of riders would these two versions be thought to be the same (not that I'm calling you superficial, mind you!!). The general setup is the same, but the overall flow of the show is much better IMO in Florida. DL's version kind of rushes you thru the scenes, while the MK version is a bit slower, with a better sense of story. Both versions have the big drop, but the actual experience is very different.

Icy Bacon
07-27-2003, 03:09 PM
Resurrecting this topic... Does the WDW version have the indoor coaster-style drop that the DL ride has, or is it a totally different sequence of drops?

danyoung
07-27-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Icy Bacon
Resurrecting this topic... Does the WDW version have the indoor coaster-style drop that the DL ride has, or is it a totally different sequence of drops?

If you mean the one where you drop into the beehives, and the slide that goes over a couple of rolling hills at the bottom at high speed, then yes, they both have that.

laldava
07-28-2003, 08:38 AM
hmm Ive never been on the WDW version but ill go on it when im there this summer. I like the DL version, but I agree that the storyline is kinda incoherent and you do move pretty quickly through the scenes. I havent been on the DL version since they changed the seating. Ive heard that the new seats are not all that comfortable. I hope they fix this.

danyoung
07-28-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by laldava
Ive heard that the new seats are not all that comfortable. I hope they fix this.

I don't think they're any more or less comfortable, just a bit harder to get into and out of, if you're a big person.

millionairegirl
07-28-2003, 10:48 AM
The logs in Florida smell very mildewy. I know the ones in CA have a slight smell, but the ones in FL are just nasty. Kind of ruins the experience when you avoid touching the log at all costs.