PDA

View Full Version : Moral Dilemma

Pages : [1] 2

ElJay
08-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Greetings, everyone. Longtime lurker, firstime poster. Been a AP holder off and on since about 1997 or so. I live about 15 miles from the park and in the summertime I can hear the fireworks from my backyard. Anyway, I have a little situation on my hands that I was hoping to get some advice/opinions on and this seems like the best place to ask.

One day, a little sign appeared in my co-workers office.(in and among all her other crap, she's one of those who feels the need to overpersonalize her workspace will all kinds of toys and junk) On it was Pinocchio waving cheerfully, a yellow arrow, and the word "Entrance" in Barvarian-style script. At first I didn't give it much thought, but upon closer inspection I found that the sign was completely hand-painted, and made of real wood. I mean, it's really well made. Pinoc's face and gestures are lovingly rendered and totally accurate, and the lettering is super clean. There were two holes in the top that looked like they used to hold screws that had been torn out. When I asked her she wasn't shy about it at all.."Oh, it's from Disneyland." She said. It seems that a couple of years ago her and some friends were leaving the park late one night and on a dare her boyfriend tore the sign from the ride and shoved it in her backpack. She's had it ever since.

Every time I pass by her office and see this sign I think to myself "That should be happily guiding little children on to the ride, not gathering dust in her junky little office". I've been to the park since and much to my surprise and disappiontment, it hasn't been replaced.

What to do??

Disney_Nut
08-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Grab it from her desk when she's not around, and give it back to DL. After all, it is stolen property. :)

invisibelle
08-17-2011, 08:44 AM
I doubt there's much Disneyland can/would do with it at this point, as they surely replaced it if it was needed. Personally, I'd leave it, but for me it would color my professional dealings with her since it doesn't reflect too well on her character/maturity level.

dban3
08-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Wow….. In sense this is a victimless crime, but a crime of theft none-the-less. A Disney woodworker could replace the sign without much difficulty. The reason they haven’t is “it would probably just get stolen anyway.” Sad.

What I would do, is just casually mention “that sign is really something that should get returned” (how would be another question). If she chose not to do so then what I would think to myself “consider the source” in whatever day to day dealings I had with her. What kind of person would prominently display a recognizable piece of stolen property? Not the kind of person I would want to I would want to give the time of day.

cstephens
08-17-2011, 10:30 AM
What to do??

I'd stay out of it and not say a word to her. It's her karma to deal with.

MidwayManiac
08-17-2011, 10:55 AM
I'd stay out of it and not say a word to her.

This. Easily this.

Drince88
08-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Are you in any way in a supervisory position with your company (even if she doesn't report to you)? Does your company have a policy about stolen property being brought into the workplace? If so, then I might say something to her that you're uncomfortable with her having stolen property on her desk in the workplace, and would appreciate it if she removes it. Maybe even have HR handle that conversation? I'm not a lawyer, but it just seems like this is potentially something that most employers would frown upon, and if you are a supervisor and have knowledge of it being stolen property, your company might assign some culpability to YOU for not reporting it. And that's when HER karma becomes YOUR problem.

My company prides itself on where it is on some ethical company lists, and if someone brought stolen property into the office, and it was later discovered and people had turned a blind eye to it, it wouldn't be good. One of our 'company mottos' (not really a motto - but it's close) is "Don't do it if you wouldn't want to see it on the front page of the newspaper."

IllusionOfLife
08-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Unless, as Drince88 said, you're in some kind of supervisory position, I'd leave it alone. Yes, it's disturbing the lack of respect some people have for others' property, but confronting her about it won't solve the problem and will only strain you dealings with each other in the office. It's clear from the way you worded the original post that the two of you aren't particularly close, and so confronting her on it will just cause a scene.

However, if you are in some kind of supervisory position than you have some more responsibility in the matter, in which case I'd take your concerns to HR.

ElJay
08-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Wow..I appreciate the passion that a lot of you folks have, but I'm honestly not taking this too seriously. I just think it's lame. One of the things I enjoy about Disneyland the most is how clean and well kept the park is (been to Six Flags or Knott's lately?) and how it's strong attention to detail has never faltered throughout it's history. Stealing that little sign is basically like giving the finger to the guy that put his heart and talent into creating it. The vigilante ninja in me wants to hang around work until everyone has gone home, take the sign, put it in a box and mail it back to the park with a note attached:

Dear Mickey,

Some unplesant soul took something that didn't belong to them from your park. I know it isn't much. Just a small, easy-to-miss thing. But I thought it should be returned to you because I know how bad I'd feel if someone took something of mine without asking. There's too much selfishness and a lack of respect for others in the real world. It shouldn't be that way in Disneyland.

Truly Yours,
A Friend

Sounds nice huh? But I'm not gonna go through the trouble to do that.

....or will I?:p

The old man
08-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Wow….. In sense this is a victimless crime, but a crime of theft none-the-less. A Disney woodworker could replace the sign without much difficulty. The reason they haven’t is “it would probably just get stolen anyway.” Sad.

I have no idea why this is suppose to fit the category of "victimless crime." Stealing from a person, or an enity, is a crime with a victim.

AnotherJenny
08-17-2011, 05:17 PM
I'd stay out of it and not say a word to her. It's her karma to deal with.

Ditto.

I would not say anything.

There is nothing stopping her from retaliating against you, going to HR with some other (real or not) complaint if she feels threatened.

Angie2009
08-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Wow..I appreciate the passion that a lot of you folks have, but I'm honestly not taking this too seriously. I just think it's lame. One of the things I enjoy about Disneyland the most is how clean and well kept the park is (been to Six Flags or Knott's lately?) and how it's strong attention to detail has never faltered throughout it's history. Stealing that little sign is basically like giving the finger to the guy that put his heart and talent into creating it. The vigilante ninja in me wants to hang around work until everyone has gone home, take the sign, put it in a box and mail it back to the park with a note attached:

Dear Mickey,

Some unplesant soul took something that didn't belong to them from your park. I know it isn't much. Just a small, easy-to-miss thing. But I thought it should be returned to you because I know how bad I'd feel if someone took something of mine without asking. There's too much selfishness and a lack of respect for others in the real world. It shouldn't be that way in Disneyland.

Truly Yours,
A Friend

Sounds nice huh? But I'm not gonna go through the trouble to do that.

....or will I?:p

I'd do it!

ShelbyH
08-17-2011, 11:00 PM
When I asked her she wasn't shy about it at all.."Oh, it's from Disneyland." She said. It seems that a couple of years ago her and some friends were leaving the park late one night and on a dare her boyfriend tore the sign from the ride and shoved it in her backpack. She's had it ever since.

Sounds like you've got a good sense of humor about it :). It is oh-so-tempting, though, to just abscond with it and if she ever mentions it's missing, say, "I was leaving the office late one night and on a dare, I took the sign and shoved it in my backpack. I've had it ever since!" :p

MadasaHatter
08-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Yeah. I agree with cstephens about not doing anything and the karma.

BUT if you want to talk KARMA if you were to take it and send it back to Disneyland you would have no KARMA back at you since you are indeed returning stolen property. I don't think I would have the guts to do it but I know many of my pals would up and do just that. Also, as a side note, I think it is great to know as much about your co-workers as possible and I sure as HECK would never leave anything around this person that was of any value to me. That is valuable knowledge. I am gobsmacked that she just told you it was a stolen sign from Disneyland. That is what blows my mind.

iceman559
08-18-2011, 06:32 AM
I'd check your company's policies before you just decide to let it go. Where I work, ANYONE (not just supervisors) can get in trouble for knowing about stolen property and not reporting it. So, if she told me that, and someone else down the road found out and took action, she could say she told me and I would be in a lot of trouble if I didn't report it when I found it. Linke Drince said, it'd probably be wise to at least glance over your coprorate policies and make sure you can't get in trouble for turning a blind eye in the event that she ever gets caught with it.

You could always freak her out and fake a letter from Disney Legal :P Of course, that'd be ironically illegal, but still!

missm
08-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Sounds like you've got a good sense of humor about it :). It is oh-so-tempting, though, to just abscond with it and if she ever mentions it's missing, say, "I was leaving the office late one night and on a dare, I took the sign and shoved it in my backpack. I've had it ever since!" :p

That is funny stuff right there. I think it is the perfect answer!

Bytebear
08-18-2011, 09:20 PM
I guess it depends on if you want to maintain a relationship with this person. If you don't care about this woman, and can handle any repercussions, go for it.

potzbie
08-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Which solution do you seek?

(a.) a solution which will leave you unscathed?

(b.) a solution which will embroil you for the rest of your career in your office?

If #a, the solution is, "Do nothing."
Your co-worker is a thief.
Your co-worker is unethical, and amoral.
Teaching a lesson of "right vs. wrong" to someone who is amoral is like teaching "piano-key perfect pitch" to a deaf person.

If you do #b, then you will be punished.
Your employer will be told, and your employer will have proof per your own words, that you deliberately stole a sign which you knew was not yours.
Your employer will have proof that you are a trouble-maker, and enjoy bringing uproar to the office, without regard to others.

When you go to Disneyland to see the spot where the sign should have been, the maintenance crew will have already replaced the sign, with an aluminum one (painted to look like real wood), with its base encased in cement, to prevent future souvenir takers from five-finger-discounting the sign again.
And thus you will have no proof that the sign in question ever was "the" sign which was stolen.

At this point, your reputation is shot.
You are no longer considered "a team player."
You are now a goodie-two-shoes, who is more self-righteous than anyone else in the office, and who will steal anything you believe isn't in its proper place.

Your karma in in your hands.

ElJay
08-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Which solution do you seek?

(a.) a solution which will leave you unscathed?

(b.) a solution which will embroil you for the rest of your career in your office?

If #a, the solution is, "Do nothing."
Your co-worker is a thief.
Your co-worker is unethical, and amoral.
Teaching a lesson of "right vs. wrong" to someone who is amoral is like teaching "piano-key perfect pitch" to a deaf person.

If you do #b, then you will be punished.
Your employer will be told, and your employer will have proof per your own words, that you deliberately stole a sign which you knew was not yours.
Your employer will have proof that you are a trouble-maker, and enjoy bringing uproar to the office, without regard to others.

When you go to Disneyland to see the spot where the sign should have been, the maintenance crew will have already replaced the sign, with an aluminum one (painted to look like real wood), with its base encased in cement, to prevent future souvenir takers from five-finger-discounting the sign again.
And thus you will have no proof that the sign in question ever was "the" sign which was stolen.

At this point, your reputation is shot.
You are no longer considered "a team player."
You are now a goodie-two-shoes, who is more self-righteous than anyone else in the office, and who will steal anything you believe isn't in its proper place.

Your karma in in your hands.

Hmmm...a cogent analysis. As much as I would like to see things put right, in all actuality it really doesn't matter all that much, and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter at all. I'm sure things disappear from the Magic Kingdom all the time. It's not my job to be Disney cop. At least I get to enjoy some anonymous Imagineer's handiwork on a daily basis. As we all know, the villan almost always gets his/her comeuppance...

Thank you all for your input.

So...

"The time has come, my little friends, to talk of other things!":cool:

Vegitabeta
08-19-2011, 02:14 PM
I vote for sneaking it into your backpack, but just not telling her. Then take it to Disneyland and hand it to a CM...'I just found this laying on the floor'. Voila!

CMHusband
08-21-2011, 01:43 PM
"Steal it" from her and sell it on Ebay - should be able to get about 150 bucks for it.

Tan Da Man
08-21-2011, 07:59 PM
its none of your business to get involved. DLR isnt gonna do anything with it or even take it from you. move on.

The old man
08-23-2011, 09:09 PM
its none of your business to get involved. DLR isnt gonna do anything with it or even take it from you. move on.
Disagree with the first sentence--crime is every one's business. Agree with the second sentence.

AVP
08-28-2011, 04:52 PM
DLR isnt gonna do anything with it or even take it from you. Unless of course you buy the item legally from Disney at an auction, in which case you will be required to prove that you purchased it legally if someone sees it, believes it to be stolen, and calls Disneyland security.

Or maybe that's just my luck... :D (I bought one of the playing cards used to decorate the castle during the repainting before the 50th anniversary, and someone from Disneyland's sign shop saw it hanging in my store window. Shortly thereafter, I got a polite phone call from the park, and had to scrounge up my auction receipt to prove I'd really purchased the darn thing. The first time it was funny, the second time... not so much. It now resides in a back room.)

AVP

Tinkermommy
08-28-2011, 05:34 PM
It now resides in a back room.) AVP

Awww, that's a shame! Maybe you should just hang the receipt on one of the lower corners when it's on display! :p