PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland dress code for guests

Gandalf
08-16-2001, 02:59 PM
Does anyone know if Disneyland has a dress code(on a day to day basis) for guests? I have tried to tell some teen friends of my son that Disney does not allow costumed guests but they insist that if Disneyland lets little kids wear the princess outfits that they could also. They are intending to wear halloween costumes to DL around Halloween. They are going to put them on once they're inside the Park. They want to dress like the characters from Nightmare Before Christmas. My son already knows if we catch him doing this that he will have a permanent limp! (Of course he says that he wasn't going to do it, but teens tend to travel in herds lately).

FantasmicFan82
08-16-2001, 03:46 PM
I've only known of the dress code for Grad-Nite, but that Dress Code seems to be going away as well.:( now girls are walking around with alomost nothing. nice, yeah, but i'd rather have the dress code, rather than have people walking in with gang attire. the high school i go with has their own dress code, and tries too enfore it. we won't let people go with ripped jeans. or shorts. where did the dress code go for grad nite?!?!?!?!:mad:

adriennek
08-16-2001, 03:47 PM
You're right, Disneyland does not allow adults to wear costumes inside the park. There are many reasons that I have heard over the years for this policy. One of them is that they don't want guests to confuse costumed guests for official Disney characters.

Yep, they let little girls dress as princesses, but teens are definately too old to be dressing up at Disneyland. I doubt that many people would confuse the little girls with the Disney characters who walk around.

They'll be asked nicely to comply. Once.

Adrienne K

Gandalf
08-16-2001, 04:08 PM
I was pretty sure Disneyland didn't want them to dress in costumes because when we went to their Halloween nites a few years back we were told no costumes. I just wasn't sure if DL had a day-to-day policy. They probably won't listen to me - but they're going to be out some money when they buy the costumes from the Disney store!

thamnarestan
08-17-2001, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Gandalf
I was pretty sure Disneyland didn't want them to dress in costumes because when we went to their Halloween nites a few years back we were told no costumes. I just wasn't sure if DL had a day-to-day policy. They probably won't listen to me - but they're going to be out some money when they buy the costumes from the Disney store!

I saw a few kids (preteens I think) wearing costumes recently at Disneyland. Two were Disney costumes (a princess and sorcerer's mickey) but another wasn't related to Disney at all-- it was just a dinosaur (apatosaurus, I think, except only with two legs, of course). Needless to say, these kids got quite a few stares and weird looks from both cast members and guests. You might want to explain this to them, as they might be perceived as Disney nuts (that reminds me of that story in Mouse Tales 2 about the Prairie Family)...

That said, as far as the park's policy with regards to costumes goes, guests are not allowed to wear them, but that policy is not enforced now when it comes to children. So if they are big enough (adult size) security might ask them to change, meaning their change of clothes will probably be comped and they'll get a free Disneyland outfit. Not a bad deal, I think.

The rationale behind the costume policy, by the way, is that the company doesn't want guests to be mistaken for costumed performers and thus representatives of the company.

ErinW
08-17-2001, 09:41 PM
I was at DL last year and noticed a girl dressed as Pocahontas (sp? oops, don't turn me into the Disney Spelling police). Anyway, she was stopped immediately and quietly told she couldn't wear the costume in the park. As some have said, they didn't want other guests to assume she's the real thing and then be responsible for something she might do. It makes complete sense to me.

Uncle Dick
03-01-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by FantasmicFan82
where did the dress code go for grad nite?!?!?!?!:mad:

Six feet under, I hope. The whole concept of an oppressive dress code at Disneyland (whether it be Grad Nite or any other time) is pretty stupid, IMHO. How is one supposed to enjoy Disneyland in anything other than good ol' fashioned shorts and a t-shirt? Disney was smart to remove this unfair and discriminatory requirement for Grad Nite attendees.

tikiboy
03-01-2002, 06:39 AM
Disney was smart to remove this unfair and discriminatory requirement for Grad Nite attendees.

How is it unfair and discriminatory?? Everyone had to dress nice on those nights.

The point of the dress code is to add some class to the evening.

This is just through my experiences working grad nights and life in general, but there is a psycological impact of dressing nicely too. It seems that when the dress code was really enforced, the kids behaved better. Things were a little more subdued.

zapppop
03-01-2002, 07:31 AM
Taken from the Disneyland Resort trams

Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times.

I guess pants are optional :D

hbquikcomjamesl
03-01-2002, 07:57 AM
Hmm. Anybody ever notice that the classic "Mickey" costume is shorts but no shirt, and the classic "Donald" costume is a jacket but no pants?

I still have memories of my own Grad Nite (over 2 decades ago!), and I remember a few of the more slovenly kids bristling a bit at the dress code.

In Alan Dean Foster's novel, Quozl (a stand-alone, neither Humanx Commonwealth nor Spellsinger), the Disneyland policy of no costumes on non-cast-members is actually a plot-point.

MouseWife
03-01-2002, 09:01 AM
A few years back my daughter wore one of those collars with the spikes in it. She was told to remove it as no collars were allowed. I laughed and said she wasn't a dog, it was jewelry. But, they made her remove it. She snuck it back on but was repeatedly told to remove it {by different people all over}. I told her to give it up.

At Knott's, she was told once. Put it back on and no one mentioned it again.

That isn't a costume but it does go under dress code, no?

Uncle Dick
03-01-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by tikiboy

How is it unfair and discriminatory?? Everyone had to dress nice on those nights.
It discriminates against those who choose to wear shorts all the time and/or don't own comfortable pants. Just a little "Fun Fact" for you: I wore shorts every day of high school (even during the "Great Madera Snowstorm of 1999", in the rain and to the winter formal and prom). I am passionate about a man's right to wear shorts.

The point of the dress code is to add some class to the evening.
Class? That's a joke. All pretensions of class flew out the main entrance gate when I burst onto Main Street with the soothing sounds of the Vengaboys' "We Like to Party" blaring over the sound system. Later that night, I got to enjoy Limp Bizkit's "My Way" from Club Buzz.

This is just through my experiences working grad nights and life in general, but there is a psycological impact of dressing nicely too. It seems that when the dress code was really enforced, the kids behaved better. Things were a little more subdued.
Good. But what about the kids who would have been "subdued" anyway? Their God-given right to wear shorts has been infringed upon by Disneyland Resort just because some other stupid kids have a Pavlovian response to clothing types? Give me a break.

Grad Nite was bad enough even in shorts and a t-shirt. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been had I been required to wear a stifling ensemble.

Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
I still have memories of my own Grad Nite (over 2 decades ago!), and I remember a few of the more slovenly kids bristling a bit at the dress code.
And rightfully so. Disneyland of all places should be a sanctuary for comfort.

Techie7
03-01-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

How is one supposed to enjoy Disneyland in anything other than good ol' fashioned shorts and a t-shirt?

Well I can see your opinion about being able to wear anything to the park. I have some friends who are very similarly minded. I must disagree though that you must be wearing shorts and a t-shirt to enjoy the park. I have been at Disneyland when I am "dressed up", tie, suit, etc. I have a great time still. I think it just depends on what makes you confortable. I know that some of the dress code for grad night use to be in place to curb violence. Some schools condiser certain types of dress gang aparal. I have seen schools get into fights over something as meaningless as some people wearing a logo for a sports team. Disney was working under the model of "Dress well and they will act well." It is amazing how much more well behaived people are when they are dressed up. Once again not to start a war but I see both sides of the issue. Maybe I am just playing the Devil's advocate.

Uncle Dick
03-01-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Techie7
Maybe I am just playing the Devil's advocate.

Hey, hey... it's all good. :) You know how us crazy nonconformists are, and I wholeheartedly agree that gang related should not be allowed. But c'mon, when's the last time you saw a gang member wearing shorts, eh? ;) For the record, I think the problems with Grad Nite run far deeper than a simple relaxation of the dress code.

Techie7
03-01-2002, 12:57 PM

But c'mon, when's the last time you saw a gang member wearing shorts, eh? ;)

Are they Baggy shorts? :p

justagrrl
03-01-2002, 01:47 PM
But c'mon, when's the last time you saw a gang member wearing shorts, eh? ;)

Baggy shorts and really long white socks pulled all the way up is the uniform, isn't it? ;)

tikiboy
03-01-2002, 07:38 PM
It discriminates against those who choose to wear shorts all the time and/or don't own comfortable pants. Just a little "Fun Fact" for you: I wore shorts every day of high school (even during the "Great Madera Snowstorm of 1999", in the rain and to the winter formal and prom). I am passionate about a man's right to wear shorts

Your choice to wear shorts out in public is fine. But if your a guest at someone's party and they've asked you to dress a certain way, and you don't...that's just rude.

Good. But what about the kids who would have been "subdued" anyway? Their God-given right to wear shorts has been infringed upon by Disneyland Resort just because some other stupid kids have a Pavlovian response to clothing types? Give me a break.

I just have to shake my head.

People can rationalize anything, but common sense will always prevail.

Uncle Dick
03-01-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl

Baggy shorts and really long white socks pulled all the way up is the uniform, isn't it? ;)

Huh, I guess I wouldn't know. I don't associate with those crazy gang types. ;) I assure you that all of my shorts are of appropriate length, giving everyone around me a lovely view of my hairy legs.

Your choice to wear shorts out in public is fine. But if your a guest at someone's party and they've asked you to dress a certain way, and you don't...that's just rude.
:rolleyes: So, um, just exactly whose party is this? Mickey's? And who pays $41 to go to someone else's party? I thought Disneyland was all about guest experience.... If someone invites me to their party and they have a stupid dress code requirement, I'll find something better to do with my time, thank you very much.

OTOH, if the chick in my avatar invited me to her party and required that I wear pants and a pink sweater and pay her $41 bucks, well, I'd have to think about that. ;)

I just have to shake my head.

People can rationalize anything, but common sense will always prevail.
Yes, and I'm glad it has at Disneyland where the Draconian dress code has been abolished.

tikiboy
03-01-2002, 11:53 PM
New update: I asked a CM who has worked at the park for years, and she said
"Disneyland does not currently set a dress code for grad nights. If kids have to dress up, it's the individual schools that make up the dress code"

I found that interesting.

Uncle Dick
03-02-2002, 06:38 AM
New update: I asked a CM who has worked at the park for years, and she said
"Disneyland does not currently set a dress code for grad nights. If kids have to dress up, it's the individual schools that make up the dress code"

I found that interesting.
Disney still sends out a list of clothing that is appropriate and inappropriate (or at least they did last year), but it's comparable to the standard dress code that all schools have anyway. The only thing that still bugs me is the ban on bags of all types. Yeah, I know alcohol is a problem...blah, blah, blah, but how am I supposed to carry my video camera around? I solved the problem but putting all my stuff in an old Disneyland Resort shopping bag, which was let through the security checkpoint with nary a search. ;)

socabch
03-02-2002, 07:33 AM
I know a senior at my daughters school who is on the Grad night committee and she said that the schools request a recommended dress code from DL. It's up to the school to decide whether to use it or not. She brought up a good point about having a dress code. If the dress code was gone then students may tend to proudly wear school logo'd shirts and other articles. That may lead to fights between rival schools. She has seen it happen at Six Flags.

I am kind of on the fence about this one. But I do know that when you work at a company with a dress code it's generally because the belief is that if you dress professionally you will act professionally. It seems to be true because when we had casual days the atmosphere was laxed and not as much work got done. But then again these kids are going to DL to have fun. See I told you I can't make a jump to either side.:D