PDA

View Full Version : Princess Fantasy Faire [ending?]

torquedork
08-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Earlier today I had gotten wind that the Princess Fantasy Faire would be ending sometime in Septemember.

dban3
08-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Earlier today I had gotten wind that the Princess Fantasy Faire would be ending sometime in Septemember.

Please....please....please let this be true. Nothing against princesses or meet and greets but this is far too valuable piece of Disneyland real estate for "....and what is your name?"

torquedork
08-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Please....please....please let this be true. Nothing against princesses or meet and greets but this is far too valuable piece of Disneyland real estate for "....and what is your name?"

One of the Lady in Waiting had told me about this and supposedly a new show is in the works and would be taking over this space.

ladylyons
08-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Does that mean the Princesses are going to be roaming again? I really hate the Princess Fantasy Faire. We had a really bad experience with one of the Princesses on our last trip!!!

dban3
08-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Does that mean the Princesses are going to be roaming again? I really hate the Princess Fantasy Faire. We had a really bad experience with one of the Princesses on our last trip!!!

I'm no expert on these matters by any means but I would think the spontaneity of a roaming character would beat standing in line for 30 - 90 minutes hands down with the exception of Mickey and his wonderful house in ToonTown.

MadasaHatter
08-13-2011, 06:35 PM
I vote for the nomadic Princesses again. OR at least seperate Meet and Greets like Jasmine and Aladdin.....Snow White at the Wishing Well.......Tangled.....Tatiana in NOS......etc..... so much more fun...

Malcon10t
08-13-2011, 06:40 PM
I miss the days of the roaming characters too... BUT... After witnessing a character trying to walk, and being ambushed by parents shoving their kids at the character, then as soon as they stop moving, they are surrounded and it becomes a dangerous situation, I completely understand why they have meet and greets instead of roaming characters. I have to admit, last Christmas Eve, I was seriously scared for Mickey and Minnie on Main St at closing. They were pinned and could not move. And people just kept pushing forward.

torquedork
08-13-2011, 06:47 PM

The Princesses are actually had been out roaming around for a while which I don't know what time of day they actually do come out.

dban3
08-13-2011, 06:58 PM
I miss the days of the roaming characters too... BUT... After witnessing a character trying to walk, and being ambushed by parents shoving their kids at the character, then as soon as they stop moving, they are surrounded and it becomes a dangerous situation, I completely understand why they have meet and greets instead of roaming characters. I have to admit, last Christmas Eve, I was seriously scared for Mickey and Minnie on Main St at closing. They were pinned and could not move. And people just kept pushing forward.

Sadly, character security may need to be more than one overwhelmed cast member. And whenever they appear, a quick escape plan is needed. This applies to almost every character except the Mad Hatter who seems to be able to run amok through the park without a care in the world.

torquedork
08-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Sadly, character security may need to be more than one overwhelmed cast member. And whenever they appear, a quick escape plan is needed. This applies to almost every character except the Mad Hatter who seems to be able to run amok through the park without a care in the world.

I totally agree having more than one Cast Member per Character makes a world of difference especially having so many people trying to get to the characters especially when other people trying to cut to the front of the line where other people who's already been waiting for a while.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Hoping this isn't until after our September trip. We told DD when we were there in February for her birthday that we would do it next visit, because of the long wait and we had limited time. Even at 3yo she remembers & has mentioned it already.

3Princesses1Prince
08-14-2011, 10:13 AM
I had previously heard their meet and greet would be moved over to the Plaza Pavillon (i think thats what its called) where the school choir groups used to perform.

dban3
08-14-2011, 10:27 AM
I had previously heard their meet and greet would be moved over to the Plaza Pavillon (i think thats what its called) where the school choir groups used to perform.

In the shadow of the Castle in a place that doesn't seem to get used that much anymore? A great idea.

cstephens
08-14-2011, 09:17 PM

I think you're referring to the Plaza Gardens? The Plaza Pavilion is the old restaurant where they more recently are/were doing AP renewals and is rumoured to be where the bakery is moving, as I recall. (Not to be confused with the Plaza Inn, which is still a restaurant. Yeah, sometimes, I have to think a minute to get them all straight.)

ladylyons
08-15-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm no expert on these matters by any means but I would think the spontaneity of a roaming character would beat standing in line for 30 - 90 minutes hands down with the exception of Mickey and his wonderful house in ToonTown.

I remember going to Disneyland as a child and just happenning upon the different characters and loving it!! But Mickey on the other hand sure I'll wait in his house to see him no matter the wait!!

The Princesses are actually had been out roaming around for a while which I don't know what time of day they actually do come out.

When we were just there in July I asked at the information board/booth about a specific Princess (Belle) and was told besides the character dinings (that she might be at, not guranteed), the Princess Fantasay Faire was the only place we would be able to see her. No roaming for Belle. Needless to say my almost 3 year old DD was not happy with the princesses we did see, after waiting about 45 mins cuz she didn't get to see the one and only princess she asked for the whole entire trip. The saddest thing was we were 3 people from getting to see her and they changed out the princesses. So this next trip my mom is coming and has decided to take the 3 of us to Ariel's Grotto for my DD's 3 birthday and we'll hopefully get to see Belle. I know it's not guranteed but I've heard she's there more times than not.

3Princesses1Prince
08-15-2011, 07:36 AM
I think you're referring to the Plaza Gardens? The Plaza Pavilion is the old restaurant where they more recently are/were doing AP renewals and is rumoured to be where the bakery is moving, as I recall. (Not to be confused with the Plaza Inn, which is still a restaurant. Yeah, sometimes, I have to think a minute to get them all straight.)
Yep! That's what I meant. I knew it didn't sound quite right....

When we were just there in July I asked at the information board/booth about a specific Princess (Belle) and was told besides the character dinings (that she might be at, not guranteed), the Princess Fantasay Faire was the only place we would be able to see her. No roaming for Belle. Needless to say my almost 3 year old DD was not happy with the princesses we did see, after waiting about 45 mins cuz she didn't get to see the one and only princess she asked for the whole entire trip. The saddest thing was we were 3 people from getting to see her and they changed out the princesses. So this next trip my mom is coming and has decided to take the 3 of us to Ariel's Grotto for my DD's 3 birthday and we'll hopefully get to see Belle. I know it's not guranteed but I've heard she's there more times than not.

This is why we do Ariel's if we are wanting to meet princesses. It just isn't worth it to do PFF.

Teddi
08-15-2011, 08:10 AM

That's what I read too in an Al Lutz column, and he said the same thing as the OP, that a stage show would return to the Fantasy Theater. I am completely onboard with this idea- the PFF is completely a plus to have, but the location was a waste. I give this change over a big thumbs up.

MagicMouseGirl
08-15-2011, 07:04 PM
I used to love when a princess would read a story in the (now) Bibbidi Bobbidi boutique (followed by photos/autographs). How much more special can it get?

houseofmouse
08-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Too bad they took all the special away. I would be thrilled if PFF left! I loved being able to happen upon them too. Apparently special is too much work anymore. :(

ShelbyH
08-18-2011, 10:23 PM
The princesses do roam--even Belle!!

http://myyearwiththemouse.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/frontierland-5.jpg?w=400&h=300

That was taken at the secret castle passage to Frontierland. I've seen a number of princesses at the secret passages, both the one to Frontierland and the one to Tomorrowland (Snow White constantly shows up there, as does Cinderella).

Right next to Belle in the above picture was...

http://myyearwiththemouse.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/frontierland-4.jpg?w=400&h=300

I blogged about the secret passages to Frontierland (http://myyearwiththemouse.com/2011/05/08/castle-secret-passages-plus-bonus-hidden-princess-part-1-frontierland/) and Tomorrowland (http://myyearwiththemouse.com/2011/05/10/castle-secret-passages-part-2-tomorrowland/)if you want more information.

I've also seen princesses (namely Belle in her provincial dress and Ariel in her wedding dress) at the Flower Mickey in the entrance plaza.

I thought the PFF was massively disappointing, waiting all that time to see just 3 princesses. I really have seen a lot of meet and greets in the secret passages, with very few crowds since most people don't know to look there.

twindaddy
08-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Just an FYI, the CM's at the PFF know exactly when each princess will come. If you ask very nicely, with a good story about how DD loves so and so, they will usually give you a very strong hint. Ours said "That is so cute your twins are Ariel obsessed, I would bet if they came back at 8PM they would be very happy"

:~D

jananafish
08-19-2011, 10:10 PM
I blogged about the secret passages to Frontierland (http://myyearwiththemouse.com/2011/05/08/castle-secret-passages-plus-bonus-hidden-princess-part-1-frontierland/) and Tomorrowland (http://myyearwiththemouse.com/2011/05/10/castle-secret-passages-part-2-tomorrowland/)if you want more information.

you have NO IDEA how excited this has made me. i am going to go back next week and go through these secret passages... and here i thought i knew every square inch of DLR!!!!

PhineasTheGhost
08-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Does that mean the Princesses are going to be roaming again? I really hate the Princess Fantasy Faire. We had a really bad experience with one of the Princesses on our last trip!!! What happened?

Also if you are reffering to what they announced at D23 with Fantasy Faire that's not going to take palce there... they're gonna have TWO Fantasy Faires!!!!! FUDGE!!!!!

ladylyons
08-21-2011, 12:58 AM
What happened?

Also if you are reffering to what they announced at D23 with Fantasy Faire that's not going to take palce there... they're gonna have TWO Fantasy Faires!!!!! FUDGE!!!!!

My 2 year DD is still a little leary of the characters but really wanted to see Belle so we decided to go ahead and try to see her at PFF, we got there about 5 minutes before they started greeting the guests. I know it's not guranteed but we got excited when we saw her go in so were hoping we'd make it in time. We were 3 people from going in when they switched out the Princesses. In came Pocahontas, Mulan and Ariel. That's when I should have left the line but I didn't I thought well she's been saying she likes Ariel so why not see what happens. First up was Pocahontas, in we go and acutally get a really cute family picture. My daughter didn't cry. So I was like ok cool we're going to make it through with no issues. Up next was Mulan. As soon as we walked up to her my daughter started crying. I looked at my DD, smile and say in a really cherry voice "let's take a really quick picture with Mulan then we can see Ariel". Keep in mind my daughter did not see Ariel come in cuz she was playing with her 4 year old brother in line. I step up to stand beside Mulan with my DD away from her and she takes one look at us, crosses her arms, takes a step back and says "I will not take a picture with a crying baby!" Needless to say I was just shocked!!! I look at my DD smile and go "Oh look S there's Ariel, I bet your cousin S would love to see you with her in a picture!" (Yes both my DD and DN's name start with the letter S.) She was having none of it. I do thank Ariel though because she could tell I was just shocked with what had just happened and tried really hard to get my daughter to smile and cheer up. We got a semi ok picture of just me and my DD with Ariel since she wouldn't stop crying. Now I could kind of understand what Mulan did if she had already been out and was near the end of her shift but nobody should make you feel like a horrible parent for taking your child to see a character and they start to cry, even if that is how Mulan acts. Not all kids will run up and hug them. Granted Mulan is not a known Princess in my house but she didn't know that. She could have been my daughter's favorite and my DD could have just been overwhelmed about seeing her idol. Also right now my children might not be big fans of seeing the characters but some day they will be the child that runs up to them and hugs them and all I can do is keep trying. I've had break throughs with the characters recently my 4 year old DS no longer crys at them. At a local theme park within the last 2 weeks he joined the characters on stage by himself, now if that's not a break through then I don't know what is. He's still a little leary but he's getting better and someday my DD will too. Hopefully it's before my 11 month old DS realizes that they were afraid of them so we can just skip the fear part with him and go straight to hugging them.

I haven't read what was announced at D23 so I don't know what that's all about. But if they are going to have two of them I may just stay away from the Princesses completely unless we do the dining. I really hate the slow moving lines to see them.

bumblebeeonarose
08-21-2011, 08:34 AM
They're not going to have two Princess Fairs. The old location is supposed to have show coming back to it. Which I think Disneyland really needs.