PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a CM but...

jerjer2005
06-09-2003, 04:50 PM
I was brought up on Disney and the magic it holds. As i have past from a child to a teenager I have come to the realization that I could some day be part of the magic. I have an annual passport and frequent the parks weekly, scouring around talking to cast members about there expieriances of becoming a cast member.

I am currently 15 and will be 16 this September. I have the ability to get a work permit and can be legally working in the US.

On the Disneycareers web site it says the mimimum age is 17 to work at Disneyland.

But i have talked to cast members that have told me of 16 year olds working in the park. They told me to still apply and leave my age alone until they ask.

What should I do? Are there any cast members reading this that know if they will hire me at 16? and any other info on becoming a cast member would help.

Thanks all for your time!:)

mousketeer
06-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Don't foget the wages. ;) To my knowledge, with the exception of some perfomers (e.g. the young boy who was in Steps in Time), the minimum age for casting is seventeen.

Disney will not hire you for a manual job under seventeen. This is because of high insurance premiums required by law. The astrinomical cost of record-keeping and insurances prevent people your age from casting. And it is a BAD idea to withold your name to the final days of casting.

tabacco
06-09-2003, 08:14 PM
And if you're under 18, you're only eligible for custodial and foods.

ChipmunkStar
06-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Oh come come now. Let's hear from somebody who hired in when she was 16.........ME!

I hired into Outdoor Vending when I was 16 and a graduating senior. (I actually almost got hired before that, but I was only a junior). Anyways, you can get a job in Foods and entertainment.

One of my friends in parades is only 16 (Turning 17 soon or just turned 17), but he also works as a character host. I know there are several people working about in more than just Foods and Custodial (Does custodial even take 16's?). You can hire into Entertainment (with Rustin and I! ;) ) Or just check in with The Casting Center and ask. Or maybe even call.

I think it's basically 16 and a graduating senior if you are 16 though. Also, due to federal regulations, you MUST be 18 to work in attractions (the attractions count as heavy machinery).

DisneylandBoy
06-09-2003, 08:29 PM
I am currently working in the Parade of the Stars and I am only 16. If you are 16 you can ONLY be a parade performer. 17 can be characters I believe and 18 is when everything is available.

jerjer2005
06-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks guys for all your help... Im going to be 16 and a junior... any coments

ChipmunkStar
06-09-2003, 08:47 PM
Well, I guess you have only one more year of waiting ahead of you. Until then, I know what you can do to prepare yourself. You've probably seen so many instances where you see a situation handled unbelievably well, or in the worst way possile.

Draw from those cues, and think to yourself "I can do that!" or "I would have..." This way, you get a little glimpse of experience, so that the day when you can apply to become a CM, you'll have an even better idea of how you would handle situations that wil probably occur when you're a CM. :)

jerjer2005
06-09-2003, 08:54 PM
so is there anyway i can become a cm when im 16 and a junior... iv always been told im very mature for my age and i have the qualities of a great CM. I have relaible transpertation and everything... I would give anything to be a CM right now!

ChipmunkStar
06-09-2003, 09:00 PM
Nope, not until you're a senior. Here's my story:

I went into the casting center when I was 16 (still in the middle of my junior year of high school), and accidentally filled in that I had finished my junior year (I thought it meant what year was I up to). I had the interview, and the guy was actually in the process of offering me a job, when he decided to look over the application again. He checked it and asked me what year I was in. I told him I was a junior, and he told me that he couldn't offer me the job yet because of my grade, but he'd keep my application on file.

Sure enough that sumer I recieved a letter in the mail saying that if I was still interested in becoming a CM, then to call a certain phone number at a certain time, and they'd try to get me a job on that spot. Sure enugh, I called and recieved ODV team Red (I would have preferred Blue, but I didn't know which teams did what yet).

Anwyays, the moral of the story is that it sucks having to wait longer, but in the end if you knwo you truly want to work there for the magic and not the money, you're almost guaranteed to get a job there.

mousketeer
06-09-2003, 09:08 PM
All true - the youngest cast members are in the parade/live entertainment department. But today in California, with the expensive regulatory insurances, the chances of getting hired before seventeen is very slim - but it might happen. Also remember that foods and custodials are your only choices if you can't belt out a Cole Porter medley, so don't get high hopes of Indiana Jones. Plus, remember the pay. You'd be better off taking an ROP internship at a Bank starting at $12+ an hour. As per excitement, you can always hope for a holdup ;) .

jerjer2005
06-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Do you apply to be in parades just the same way you would apply to be any other kind of cast member?

ChipmunkStar
06-10-2003, 04:53 PM
No!

To be in Entertainment (meaning parades, shows, characters, and yes, even character hosting), you have to go through an audition. I've only gone to the Character hosting audition (made it my first try, yay!), so I don't have any experience with the other auditions, maybe somebody else can fill you in on some of hose details.

You can find information on Entertainment auditions Here (http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/dep/index.html) or you can call the entertainment audition hotline at 714) 781-0111

femmfaerie
06-11-2003, 08:20 AM
I auditiond for the Very Merry Christmas Parade in 93. I don't remember everything, but I know they held 2 days of auditions were they take about 60 people at a time (there were about 400 in my line) and teach you a dance - you pratice for about 20 - 30 minutes then you walk in a line , I think with two others doing the routine they just tought you. Then we were seperated in to - No Way, Maybe, YUP goups. THen you go throught the interview process - or so I would guess - I went to a different room because I was auditioning to rollar skate.

Niwel
06-11-2003, 10:05 AM
A large component of working in entertainment us physical -- sadly. If you LOOK like the character(s) they are casting for, you have a better chance than someone who does not. That's not to say they aren't looking for all types of bodies. Summer and winter offer the most positions, as thats when the parks tend to expand their entertainment offerings (additional shows and parades). Regardless of what you are auditioning for, you have to know how to move, be enthusiastic and smile (even if you end up with a position where no one will see your face). :D

You also might want to check out some of the audition stories in our Cast Place section: Cast Place (http://www.mouseplanet.com/kevin/index.htm)