PDA

View Full Version : What was Submarine Voyage like? Can someone describe it to me?

CrayZforDisney
06-08-2003, 01:27 PM
I have been on Submarine Voyage, but it was too long ago for me to remember. All I can recollect is the underwater volcano, the porthole with crusty stuff around it, and the crabs. I also remember different lights blinking on and off above you as the submarine ventured deeper into the ocean. Who else remembers this? It was magical and amazing to me. I loved it.

However, can you describe Submarine Voyage in your point of view? What made it special for you? What do you remember about it? Oh, and were the diving effects realistic? I need someone to refresh my memory!

converted to a link due to both copyright and size limitations.

06-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Have you read the short description at yesterland.com? The best detailed information is in the E-Ticket magazine issue on the Submarine Voyage. I bought my copy from MouseShoppe (http://www.mouseplanet.com/mp/shop.htm) and I would be embarrassed to tell you how many times I have reread the issue.

CrayZforDisney
06-08-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 3894
Have you read the short description at yesterland.com? The best detailed information is in the E-Ticket magazine issue on the Submarine Voyage. I bought my copy from MouseShoppe (http://www.mouseplanet.com/mp/shop.htm) and I would be embarrassed to tell you how many times I have reread the issue.

I was asking what YOU remembered about it in your own words, not what a magazine remembers about it! I want to know what made Submarine Voyage interesting to you. How would you describe it yourself?

tabacco
06-08-2003, 06:58 PM
I swear, the way you ask these questions makes it sound like you're using our answers for a paper or something.

MonorailMan
06-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
I swear, the way you ask these questions makes it sound like you're using our answers for a paper or something.

Don't swear. It's bad for you! It also violates the MP rules. (J/K) :D

Before I send this thread way off topic...
...I have some little memories of the Subs. I remembering that the dive felt so "real", until the one trip, I looked up. That killed it. :D

I remember being excited when we went through the "underwater volcano". Ahh the memories...

I also, remeber being cramped next to a very large person. :eek: :D

BTMichael
06-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
I just did a forum search, and I would have to agree with you. There are a whole series of posts being created that ask questions all over the Disneyland spectrum. Rather observant of you to notice, I must say.

BTMichael

06-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by CrayZforDisney
I was asking what YOU remembered about it in your own words, not what a magazine remembers about it! I want to know what made Submarine Voyage interesting to you. How would you describe it yourself?

Hmm. Do I swat you with my mermaid tail - thwack! - or do I answer?

Neither.

jazzjunkie
06-09-2003, 05:46 AM
Claustrophobic and musty.

CrayZforDisney
06-09-2003, 06:27 AM
O.K., since I sound like a reporter, and you guys don't want me to sound like one, I'll re- state the questions I asked.

1. Duh, Doh, What da ya rememba about tha subs?

2. Wha made thom speshial to U?

3. Can U discriba the subs toa me?

There, is that better?

No, I really mean it, describe the whole ride to me! I can hardly remember. I am serious. :|

06-09-2003, 06:49 AM
O.K., since I sound like a reporter <snip!>

No, I really mean it, describe the whole ride to me! I can hardly remember. I am serious. :|

It was more like an English teacher returning an unacceptable assignment.

Personal impressions will mostly help you recreate the atmosphere.

If you really want a description of "the whole ride", that's a tall order. You can troll images.google.com for the many, many photos of the Submarine Voyage people have been kind enough to post. There are also audio clips out there. Disneyland Extinct Attractions Club (http://www.extinct-attractions-club.com/) has a short free video clip. Frequently, Submarine Voyage Standard Operating Procedure manuals (only partial manuals - beware) are up for grabs on ebay.

tabacco
06-09-2003, 09:08 AM
Exactly: "I was asking what YOU remembered about it in your own words, not what a magazine remembers about it! I want to know what made Submarine Voyage interesting to you. How would you describe it yourself?"

Doesn't that sound just like someone who wants a very specific answer for some reason, and not just someone who's curious?

CrayZforDisney
06-10-2003, 06:36 AM
O.k., since all of you wanted me to do research, I did. I remember only parts of the attraction, but here is what I found out over the internet:

First, you boarded your submarine. You climbed down a spiral staircase and into the musty cabin of the Submarine. You look in front of you and notice some starfish on the side of the dock. When I was little, I always thought those starfish were real. Then, when you are finally seated and a cast member enters the submarine, you are ready to go.

The red cruising lights glow from above and a roar builds up in the back of the submarine as the engines prepare to dive deep. A series of bells and whistles are rung. Over a speaker above the captain's voice cracks through the old recording. Bubbles fly up in front of your porthole as the effect of diving takes you deeper. For those of you that looked up while riding, well, you ruined the effect.

Then, you see ( or shall I say sea?) fighting crabs that barely move, rocking sea bass, and squid. The sea turtles and giant clams that made little movements were among the last anamatronics you viewed before you entered the showbuilding. Your submarine ventures deeper. The lights in the submarine all change different colors, and the sound of radar squeals through your vessel. This is when you feel that old 50's charm and magic of the attraction. Something magical just overwhelms you. You start thinking of early childhood memories. You think this attraction through liquid space is truly one- of - a -kind.

Then, you pass by many sharks circling around sunken boats. Suddenly, a warning alarm sounds from the speaker above, and a numerous amount of lights flash above. This added a sense of adventure. When you were really deep, you saw odd fish that provide their own light. Black lights and strobe lights ( some of the wonders of the 50's) are overhead to make the submarine seem it is deep under the ocean. You spot mermaids and a twisting giant squid. I remember when we passed the undersea volcano and Atlantis. Red columns of bubbles rose about around the Submarine. At last, you saw a cross-eyed sea serpant and exited the show building. People would look down at the plastered ocean floor ripping up. This was one of the signs of Submarine Voyage's age. You finally returned to the station.

I remember only parts of the attraction, but it was one of Disneyland's most whimiscal, magical, and charming. It had some type of feel that other attractions didn't have. In 1998, Disneyland lost a huge part of its greatness. Now, how do you people feel about Submarine Voyage?

Not Afraid
06-10-2003, 07:01 AM
I enjoyed the subs in their heyday, but it was NOT one of my favorite rides. The subs themselves were dark, smelly, damp and small. The sites were fun and nostalgic but not spellbinding.

Do I wish the subs would come back? Absolutely! If not the original, then an improved version. SOMETHING needs to go in that glaringly empty space.

06-10-2003, 07:31 AM
It was beautiful, phony, magical, and creaky. By 1998, it was sad, like watching a very important historic monument melt away.

MammaSilva
06-10-2003, 08:58 AM
The subs hold a special place in my heart for a lot of reasons.. were they an E ticket.. no... but they are tied to the first trip my younger brother got to make to Disneyland ever, and he was an adult with 3 children....we were there the summer the subs closed....and as a family we went on the ride, I watched his face, the joy of watching his kids face.... it has nothing to do with the peeling paint or the fact that the subs smelled like a boys gym locker in the middle of summer.... it was the magic that "is" Disneyland....that first trip he video taped EVERY thing..... so we have a lasting visual of the subs 'as they were' at the end of that era...

smd4
06-10-2003, 09:06 AM
Actually, they were an "E" ticket.

How soon we forget...

jerm
06-10-2003, 11:19 AM
When I was a kid, it was the coolest thing. It really felt like you were on an undersea voyage.
Back in 96 I was in DL, the night was almost over, and my sister & I walked past it. There was no line, so we got on. It just wasn't the same. :( It was still fun.

MammaSilva
06-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by smd4
Actually, they were an "E" ticket.

How soon we forget...

My bad, what I should have said was "was it an E ticket in 98?" no.... not with Indy and Space and BTRR available.

adriennek
06-10-2003, 01:53 PM

Are you at all familiar with E-Ticket "magazine"? I wouldn't even call it a magazine. I think it's more like a "series of soft-bound books." I almost called it an encyclopedia but that's not right either.

I would imagine that you would find the answer to your question and much, much more from E-Ticket. 3894 gave you a very good recommendation, I'm sorry you were so quick to dismiss it.

Adrienne

mousketeer
06-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Crazy, I don't think that everyone wanted you to do the research. Did it ever cross your mind that they really cant remember the ride. I last rode on it in 1997, and barely remember any more than the queue, boarding, and looking through a window.

In my opinion, I found the Submarine Voyage dull, dry, and outdated.

CrayZforDisney
06-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
The subs hold a special place in my heart for a lot of reasons.. were they an E ticket.. no... but they are tied to the first trip my younger brother got to make to Disneyland ever, and he was an adult with 3 children....we were there the summer the subs closed....and as a family we went on the ride, I watched his face, the joy of watching his kids face.... it has nothing to do with the peeling paint or the fact that the subs smelled like a boys gym locker in the middle of summer.... it was the magic that "is" Disneyland....that first trip he video taped EVERY thing..... so we have a lasting visual of the subs 'as they were' at the end of that era...

I would like to see a video of Submarine Voyage. The whole thing. Where can I find a video of it?

Lashbear
06-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Google is such a wonderful tool...

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=%22submarine+voyage%22+video&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

CrayZforDisney
06-11-2003, 06:55 AM
O.k., since all of you wanted me to do research, I did. I remember only parts of the attraction, but here is what I found out over the internet:

First, you boarded your submarine. You climbed down a spiral staircase and into the musty cabin of the Submarine. You look in front of you and notice some starfish on the side of the dock. When I was little, I always thought those starfish were real. Then, when you are finally seated and a cast member enters the submarine, you are ready to go.

The red cruising lights glow from above and a roar builds up in the back of the submarine as the engines prepare to dive deep. A series of bells and whistles are rung. Over a speaker above the captain's voice cracks through the old recording. Bubbles fly up in front of your porthole as the effect of diving takes you deeper. For those of you that looked up while riding, well, you ruined the effect.

Then, you see ( or shall I say sea?) fighting crabs that barely move, rocking sea bass, and squid. The sea turtles and giant clams that made little movements were among the last anamatronics you viewed before you entered the showbuilding. Your submarine ventures deeper. The lights in the submarine all change different colors, and the sound of radar squeals through your vessel. This is when you feel that old 50's charm and magic of the attraction. Something magical just overwhelms you. You start thinking of early childhood memories. You think this attraction through liquid space is truly one- of - a -kind.

Then, you pass by many sharks circling around sunken boats. Suddenly, a warning alarm sounds from the speaker above, and a numerous amount of lights flash above. This added a sense of adventure. When you were really deep, you saw odd fish that provide their own light. Black lights and strobe lights ( some of the wonders of the 50's) are overhead to make the submarine seem it is deep under the ocean. You spot mermaids and a twisting giant squid. I remember when we passed the undersea volcano and Atlantis. Red columns of bubbles rose about around the Submarine. At last, you saw a cross-eyed sea serpant and exited the show building. People would look down at the plastered ocean floor ripping up. This was one of the signs of Submarine Voyage's age. You finally returned to the station.

I remember only parts of the attraction, but it was one of Disneyland's most whimiscal, magical, and charming. It had some type of feel that other attractions didn't have. In 1998, Disneyland lost a huge part of its greatness. Now, how do you people feel about Submarine Voyage?

Also, while waiting in the que line you looked up at the futuristic 60's Tomorrowland lights. The huge yellow submarines were gliding in front of you. You could smell the diesel from the engines. While waiting in line, a mysterious voice came from a small speaker above. It explained the wonders of the ocean. Soon, after waiting for a Long time in the line, you finally descend down the spiral staircase to experience the attraction.