PDA

View Full Version : Should I spring for the DLH?

Disneyfan&mom
06-08-2003, 04:52 AM
I am taking my 2 kids to Disneyland in early July. Last year we stayed at the Anabella and they loved it, but when we attended the character breakfast at the DLH, they were ooooh and ahhh about the hotel. I looked into staying our first 2 nights at the DLH and it's going to cost me an extra $390 to do that....do you all think it's worth it? The kids are 11 and 13. Any suggestions on special room request I should make? My kids are nervous about tall buildings since 9-11, so I know I'll have to ask for a lower floor.
Any other thoughts? Thanks to all!

Matterhorn Fan
06-08-2003, 05:43 AM
Well, as an 11 or 13 year old, I don't think I would have wanted to take time out of a day at Disneyland to change hotels, but that's just me. If it was a change to the DLH instead of from it, that might be a little different. I guess it all depends on you, the kids, and what you really want to be doing.

Disneyfan&mom
06-08-2003, 06:39 AM
Well, I don't think it will take us a whole day to change hotels- it's a short walk (or shuttle) to the Anabella- and I can't afford to spend 9 nights at the DLH! I thought it would be better to start out the first 2 nights there since we are likely to be 'doing Disney' the first day or 2 and I'm getting a car for the last 4 days of the stay so we can go to the beach, etc.
That was my rationale for starting out at DLH first instead of ending up there. ...

Not Afraid
06-08-2003, 08:53 AM
The DLH is really a hotel that you can spend some quality time in. There are lots of things to do and the theming, pools, artwork, etc. can take a decent amount of time to enjoy. If you spend the FIRST two day at the DLH won't you be more interested in getting to the parks rather than enjoying the hotel amenities? Something to think about.

06-08-2003, 08:58 AM
The big thing is the convenience of the Monorail, and for that you pay big time.

Is it worth the extra $$$? That's an individual call. I like the DLH for its convenience and stay there on my infrequent, short trips to the resort. I operate Disneyland commando-style and my stay at the hotel is part of my m.o.

Staying at the DLH (beyond the character breakfast and that funky light 'n' water show at night) doesn't really enhance the experience. The hotel itself is just a hotel - except the Do Not Disturb signs, etc. are pretty great.

DisNey DuDe 87
06-09-2003, 10:26 PM
Better to spend the LAST two nights at DLH, you know, save the best for last ideology..

BTMichael
06-10-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by 3894
I like the DLH for its convenience and stay there on my infrequent, short trips to the resort. I operate Disneyland commando-style and my stay at the hotel is part of my m.o.
Call me dense, but I have read your post several times, and I am still unable to figure what you are trying to say in the last sentence. I recall the Friends episode where going "commando" meant wearing no underwear, but somehow I don't think that's what you meant.

Care to elaborate? :)

BTMichael

06-10-2003, 11:53 AM
"I operate Disneyland commando-style and my stay at the hotel is part of my m.o."

Translation: I am in Israeli commando mode (get in quick, do whatcha gotta do, get out) when I visit Disneyland because I don't have much time. We never spend more than 2.5 days there and our trips are very few and far between. Therefore, the Disneyland Hotel and its monorail link are essential to my modus operandi.

Better?

mousketeer
06-10-2003, 12:26 PM
If money is tight, and you want to stay at an on-site property, try the Paradise Pier. However, you will loose the monorail convenience.

BTMichael
06-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by 3894
"I operate Disneyland commando-style and my stay at the hotel is part of my m.o."

Translation: I am in Israeli commando mode (get in quick, do whatcha gotta do, get out) when I visit Disneyland because I don't have much time. We never spend more than 2.5 days there and our trips are very few and far between. Therefore, the Disneyland Hotel and its monorail link are essential to my modus operandi.

Better?
Gotcha! We visit once a year from Northern CA, so we have opted to stay close to Disneyland in recent years for much the same reason. This year will be our first at the Grand Californian Hotel.

BTMichael

adriennek
06-10-2003, 02:09 PM
I'm going to second the comment to stay at the *end* of your vacation.

One year when I was 16 and my sister was 14, we went on a vacation and stayed in a really great hotel room - the FIRST two nights.

The rest of the time we were annoyed that the other hotels weren't as great as that first one. It kinda was depressing each time we went to a new hotel.

Let it be your grand finale? Also, by the end of the trip, you might be more ready to enjoy the hotel more, having already gone to the parks a lot.

Adrienne

raider
06-10-2003, 03:11 PM
We had the exact same issue....and we too are going in the begining of July. We decided that it would be best to save the DLH for last with the first couple nights in another hotel for all the reasons stated above.

And we also wrestled with the question of whether, given the great deals of all the other hotels, the DLH is worth the high price....I guess we we both will find out for ourselves in July, hey? :)

Disneyfan&mom
06-10-2003, 07:30 PM
Thanks for all your input everyone. I decided to go ahead and book the first 2 nights at the DLH. My kids really loved the Anabella last year, so I don't think it will be TOO much of a let-down for us to move there on the 3rd day. We'll probably spend the first couple of days doing disney and spending mid-day back at the hotel in the pools, etc...and hitting a character meal at Goofy's kitchen.
We have other things to do while we're there so being thisclose to DL won't be so important later in the trip and we'll have a car then too.

I'll have to report back after we return!