PDA

View Full Version : Bookstore within walking dist. of DLR?

jazzjunkie
06-07-2003, 08:59 PM
I realise how silly this sounds, but :p

My prob: I'll be at DLR when the new Harry Potter book is released, and I'm desperate to get my hands on a copy as soon as possible. Is there any chance of getting one at a bookshop nearby? Or is my best bet to order it online and have it sent to my hotel?

Thanks!

MonorailMan
06-07-2003, 09:06 PM
If your an AP holder, you can get a discount on the book, at the bookstore in Downtown Disney. (Check Disneyland.com, I'm too lazy to get the info.) :p

So, there's a Bookstore in Downtown Disney. So, you can run over, and grab a copy. ;)

DL4EVER
06-07-2003, 09:06 PM
If you're lucky, they may have a copy in Compass Books and Cafe in Downtown Disney...

Andrew
06-07-2003, 09:07 PM
There's a bookstore in Downtown Disney, near the AMC theater.

MonorailMan
06-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Wow, 3 answers (all within 1 minute of each other), all within 8 minutes of a question post.

Now *that's* service. ;) :D :fez:

jazzjunkie
06-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Now *that's* service.

:D I really appreciate the help! Thanks!

swtkissez
06-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Teehee, that is service.

Ok, anyways to your question. Compass Books in DTD may have the book, if they don't (which i kinda doubt being Harry Potter and all) there is a Borders Bookstore at the Block of Orange which is like 5~10 minutes away from the resort. Its on Chapman, take Harbor to Chapman and make a left onto Chapman, its near the 5 freeway ( i think, im so bad at directions, sigh).

Matterhorn Fan
06-07-2003, 09:58 PM
Good luck getting a copy on the 21st if you haven't preordered. I'm sure it won't be impossible, but you might need a little luck.

(FYI, I grilled a sales clerk at my local Borders about this, since I will also be out of town on the 21st. As of about 2 weeks ago, they'd taken almost 900 preorders. They expect to get "a little over" 900 copies. I suspect the situation will be similar at a lot of other stores.)

EandCDad
06-08-2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by swtkissez
...there is a Borders Bookstore at the Block of Orange which is like 5~10 minutes away from the resort.

Just to clarify, its about a 5 or 10 minute drive. The origional poster mentioned walking, so it will take a little longer to walk there. Its about 2.5 miles away from the resort.

MonorailMan
06-08-2003, 06:36 AM
From the AP page, it looks like Compass Books in DTD will be open at Midnight for the book, you can get all the details here:

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/detail/event?id=AP-HarryPotter_June03OfferEventPage

jazzjunkie
06-08-2003, 08:04 AM
I'm not an AP though, so I can't go for that... sigh :(

JeffG
06-08-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
Good luck getting a copy on the 21st if you haven't preordered. I'm sure it won't be impossible, but you might need a little luck.

I bet it won't be that hard. From what I've heard, this book is likely to set all kinds of records for the size of the initial printing. There will be enormous quantities of them out there.

Stores are always going to tell customers that they need to pre-order a copy in order to assure getting one on the release date. They do this mainly because they want to lock you in as a customer. Without the pre-order, they know you might shop around for a better price or even buy from a competitor simply because it happens to be more convenient at the time.

-Jeff

MonorailMan
06-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by jazzjunkie
I'm not an AP though, so I can't go for that... sigh :(

From a call I made, the event is not just for APs. In fact, anyone can come, but APs get 10% off the book. :D

msteddom
06-08-2003, 09:35 AM
As a former Borders employee I would suggest ordering the book through Amazon.com or one of the bookstore sites and having it shipped to your hotel. Most of the books the stores will recieve have already been presold, and the ones that haven't will be gone within seconds. Save yourself the hassle of trying to hunt down the book and enjoy the parks! The few extra dollars that you will have to pay in shipping are worth it.

AVP
06-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by msteddom
As a former Borders employee I would suggest ordering the book through Amazon.com or one of the bookstore sites and having it shipped to your hotel. Most of the books the stores will recieve have already been presold, and the ones that haven't will be gone within seconds. Save yourself the hassle of trying to hunt down the book and enjoy the parks! The few extra dollars that you will have to pay in shipping are worth it.

Gotta agree - ALL of the books we have coming in to the Shoppe are pre-sold, pre-paid, already claimed or otherwise unavailable. We called the publisher to add more books to our order, and were (politely) laughed at.

AVP