PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Bakersfield Bakery...

wabby1
08-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Here's to the Bakersfield Bakery for serving possibly the best Oatmeal Raisin cookie I've ever had....

Hard to believe these DCA staples are already shutting down after 10 years. Oh well, progress, right?

CariBelle
08-01-2011, 03:47 PM
At least we still have our namesake soup :(

Malcon10t
08-01-2011, 04:28 PM
You can find the same cookie in Greetings in the candy section, in the bakery in Disneyland, and in Marcelines in DTD.

mousterpiece
08-01-2011, 07:09 PM
On the one hand, I'm sad to see it go. I did like the design of the California Zephyr. But on the other hand, I can't wait to see what the new entrance plaza looks like. Bring on the progress!

BlkPearlCptn
08-01-2011, 07:31 PM
I wish they had left it in. I think that the California Zephyr would have fit in with the theme. I'm going to miss it.

rustymick
08-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Until very recently I was afraid of Soarin' Over California so when my family went on it I would usually get a snack from the bakery and wait for them to get done. Usually they rode with a fastpass and then got right back in line so sometimes I was there for up to 2 hours. I will miss this special "my spot".

trypticon
08-08-2011, 11:21 AM
The train that marked the entrance to the three shops in question was arguably one of the better looking areas in California Adventures. It's usually the first thing I remember when I think back to how fun that park was when it was nearly empty all the time. I'm extremely displeased that they have gotten rid of it.

From my readings and posting here, I have observed that I am a minority in this, but I'll state the idea again: Is it truly necessary to redo the entire dratted park? Could they have not left some things in that were great, and took the stupid things out?

Get rid of Jumping Jellyfish. Get rid of the Golden Zephyr. I can see why they got rid of the Maliboomer, although I would have preferred they just retheme it, since it was a much more intense ride than Tower of Terror, for which I've already stated my reasons for thinking this. I would have rather seen Disney do away with Grizzly River Run than the California Zephyr, since at least the bakery, ice cream shop, and toy store didn't have such a lame start as soon as you get off the main lift on Grizzly River Run. Not once did I go into any of those shops with the idea that it was going to be great, just to be let down almost immediately, unlike every time I've been on Grizzly River Run.

And don't get me wrong: I know something needs to take me up to the top of the mountain in order to have any chance of splashing down the mountain rapids. I just wish that the imagineers had the forsight to not bring me up several stories, as many other fast rides do at the parks, just to have me drop a few feet slowly, unlike any of those other fast rides at either park. After years and years of going, you get used to some things, you know?

I mean, they could have torn down Grizzly Peak and put in some interchange to connect the upcoming Radiator Springs with Autopia in Disneyland. They're tearing down so much of the park, they may as well have done just that.

I could seriously care less about Buena Vista Street. I don't hang out primarily on Main Street at Disneyland, and didn't expect or even think of the possibility that Disney was going to try to do something to give people a reason to stick around the Sunshine Plaza at California Adventure. There's just no reason for it. Main Street is a place for me to get drinks and breakfast in the morning, followed by souven-ears at night before I leave. That's the only function of the place, for me, personally, besides a nice train station.

The entrance ot California Adventure was great ebfore. The entire idea of making it seem like you were entering a post card was a fantastic, artistic idea that I don't see companies besides Disney doing. Sure, the big bronze sun statue in the fountian was a little strange, but that was ok.

I'm just complaining now. It was really nice to be able to get some stuff right up front in a very cool looking area. I'll be missing it as the eateries change places and themes.

leota's necklace
08-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I would have rather seen Disney do away with Grizzly River Run than the California Zephyr, since at least the bakery, ice cream shop, and toy store didn't have such a lame start as soon as you get off the main lift on Grizzly River Run. Not once did I go into any of those shops with the idea that it was going to be great, just to be let down almost immediately, unlike every time I've been on Grizzly River Run.

I...I think I must have ridden a different ride than you did.

Were you thinking you'd get hauled up the hill and then go down the big drop immediately, and then, hey, thanks for coming, off you go?

Disney_Nut
08-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Seems to me that trypticon would rather go on a ride like Perilous Plunge at Knotts. And why would you be let down immediately every time you go on GRR? You know exactly what's coming, so why do you even bother riding it if it lets you down immediately?

houseofmouse
08-08-2011, 01:42 PM
You do know both those locations are coming back right? Just going to have new names and switch the bakery location and the ice cream one. A little patience, and you will have your treats back.

trypticon
08-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Houseofmouse, if you had read the full text that I wrote, you would have read that I know they are switching places and being rethemed.

Disney_Nut, the only reason I go on it now is because of my fiance's son, who loves the ride. I personally don't like Knott's Berry Farm anymore. They don't seem to take care of their park the way Disney does. I can't help but love Disneyland, I'm a self described Disney Nut, myself, despite the complaints I seem to get embroiled in on these forums over it every time I post.

Leota's Necklace, I did not believe it would lead me up a long hill to go down immediately as you sarcastically suggest. A further drop at the end would have been nice though, because after the initial climbing of the hill, the drop at the end, not the stuff in between, seems short. The stuff in between is fine, but the ride starts off as a disappointment because after the climb, there's a slow descent of maybe three feet.

leota's necklace
08-08-2011, 04:29 PM
The stuff in between is fine, but the ride starts off as a disappointment because after the climb, there's a slow descent of maybe three feet.

Oh, for heaven's sake. Sarcasm? MOI?

I think a "gotcha" drop there -- if that's what you're talking about, the dip you get when the raft comes off the belt -- is hilarious.

Sleeping Beauty's mom
08-08-2011, 04:36 PM
I wish they had left it in. I think that the California Zephyr would have fit in with the theme. I'm going to miss it.

Me too :(

Teddi
08-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Get rid of Jumping Jellyfish. Get rid of the Golden Zephyr. I can see why they got rid of the Maliboomer, although I would have preferred they just retheme it, since it was a much more intense ride than Tower of Terror, for which I've already stated my reasons for thinking this. I would have rather seen Disney do away with Grizzly River Run

Both of those rides I love to do with my kids. The Jellyfish are beautiful and colorful to look at at- love them at dusk and afterdark, same with the Zephyr. Never went on Maliboomer and don't miss it. And GRR is a very popular ride and the only wet ride in that park. I'll going to miss the CA Zephyr too and don't think it needed to be removed at all, but the rest I think you're not in the majority.

houseofmouse
08-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Actually Tripticon, I did not read your post at all and was responding to the original post by the OP.

As far as the Zephyer goes, it can leave. The ride was down all the time due to wind, what a waste of space and money. I like Jumpin jellyfish and I love taking my nieces on it.

We all loved Maliboomer, but I understand it did not have the right year or theme but it still was a rush to shoot up like that!!

MadasaHatter
08-08-2011, 09:00 PM
I for one am excited about BUENA VISTA ST. And yes, you all know my favorite land in Disneyland is MAIN ST. USA. Love the theming and hanging out there and seeing the Castle at the end of the street I think is actually cooler than seeing the castle up close. If I watch the fireworks I love standing right in the middle of Main St.

I am very optimistic about BVS and although the ZEPHYR was indeed the coolest part of the Plaza I don't really think it would fit in very well to the theming. It would have been cool if it ran around the whole park like the DLRR but that would be a bit redundant indeed. I did not however like the insides of those places as they were cold and unwelcoming just like the GIBSON GIRL ice cream parlor. I can wait in line here in SF for a half hour and get better TASTING ice cream but sitting behind the counter and staring at that old soda counter was my fondest memory of Main St. Not having a sundae was like going to the park and NOT riding Space Mountain or the HM. Not possible. I never get ice cream now because the ambiance now is just plain sad.

SO I hope to goodness these new places actually take you bake (oops, I said bake....not back....kinda funny....I must be mad) to the era instead of doing it on the outside but not on the inside. Fingers Crossed.

PS Leota's necklace....I thought your comment was kinda funny. Sarcastic? Well, yes. But funny too!

leota's necklace
08-09-2011, 10:27 AM
As much as I regret the mess and expense and hassle of the re-do, and as much as it disappoints me that Imagineering couldn't get it right the first time, I can't argue with the decision to retheme. Yes, the postcard concept was neat, but once you got through the gates, you were in a semi-dead space, looking at...the underside of a bridge. It felt like method of the DL entrance plaza was copied (through the gates, something pretty to look at [Mickey floral/Golden Gate], weenie at the end [castle, sun sculpture]) but left out the finishing details. The tunnels under the railroad tracks on the DL side focus your vision, add an element of mystery and reveal, and also feature those attraction posters to add anticipation. The DCA entrance lacked that focus, and the storefront theming in the Plaza was nowhere near as intricate and special as the theming on Main Street.

You can argue "I never look at Main Street, I pass through there and grab coffee on my way to something else", but I GUARANTEE to you that it makes a subliminal impression on you. For heaven's sake, they made a half-red light bulb to ensure a totally harmonious look. I didn't see that care taken in the DCA entrance. In DL, things like the sound of the trolley and the train, the smell from the Candy Shop, the dimension and proportion of the street are all carefully designed to make you feel a certain way. There is a sense of anticipation there, but also a feeling of arrival, and of homecoming. Even if you never lived in a town with a Main Street, you still react to it, and feel welcome and safe.

That design was sorely lacking at DCA. There was no commonality there, no shared cultural memory tapped that informed the guest experience. I liked the train, but it couldn't be seen and appreciated because of the awning, and its position made no sense. What, did it just steam in there from an express trip from Sausalito, across the San Francisco Bay? And putting shops and quick-serve restaurants inside the train body seemed awfully passe' and gimmicky for Disney. This is not some kitchy mall diner, for Pete's sake.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new design will bring.

MadasaHatter
08-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Whoa. Well said Leota's Necklace. Not feeling quite that well spoken these days. But YESSSS.....proverbial nail on proverbial head. I STILL get that feeling everytime I enter Dland....hope it now happens in DCA and hope they put my.....I mean THE.....Ice Cream Parlor back!!!