PDA

View Full Version : The new Pooh ride

tracilicious
06-07-2003, 12:30 PM
i've heard many complaints about the many adventures of winnie the pooh, but i went on it on my trip to d-land last week and i thought it was great. i think maybe some of us are forgetting that this ride wasn't designed as an e-ticket ride. it's a kids ride. i personally thought it was better than many of the rides in fantasyland. it was longer and had more details than pinnochio, mr. toad, and snow white. i will admit that it belongs in fantasyland. i love all the rides in fantasyland, and i love the new pooh ride. now let's debate. tell me why it sucks if that's what you think.

~<:) traci

TheatreTech
06-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by tracilicious
i've heard many complaints about the many adventures of winnie the pooh, but i went on it on my trip to d-land last week and i thought it was great. i think maybe some of us are forgetting that this ride wasn't designed as an e-ticket ride. it's a kids ride. i personally thought it was better than many of the rides in fantasyland. it was longer and had more details than pinnochio, mr. toad, and snow white. i will admit that it belongs in fantasyland. i love all the rides in fantasyland, and i love the new pooh ride...

I completly agree.

Although Pooh isn't the most thrilling ride in the park, that's not what it was made to be anyway. When I got off the ride I thought of the days I would get up at six in the morning with my dad just to watch Pooh an TV. While standing in line I had never seen more smiles on little kids getting off a ride. (It sounds a little cheezy, but the whole experience was very touching )

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
06-07-2003, 01:41 PM
My two year old loved it. And we were very lucky the day we rode. We went straight to Pooh at park opening and the ride wasn't operating, I managed to beg a fast pass from a cast member and when our time came, we walked right on. The only negative we could observe is the height of the seat versus the height of the car's "walls". My husband had to prop the munchkin up on his arm for the ride so that she could see. It's a great ride for the little ones.

Not Afraid
06-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Pooh isn't an E-ticket, nor is it a "D", nor a "C" like most of the other Dark Rides at DL. Alice in Wonderland was the ONLY Fantasyland dark ride that was not a "C" ticket, it was a "B". I think Alice is a better quality ride than Pooh and has a better story.

I think why you hear so many complaints is that the potential for a wonderful ride is there, but we didn't get it. Look at Tokyo's Pooh ride if you want to see a "D" ticket and a quality ride.

DL4EVER
06-07-2003, 03:55 PM
Except for the fact that over in Tokyo, the sky is the limit for that park because it isn't owned by Disney, so Disney is shelling out the cash for the rides.......DL will never get that much money, seems like Eisner is focusing attention to WDW I mean come on, by 2006, WDW will have a ton of new rides. Here is the ones that are new that I know of since 2000:

Primevil Whirl
Triceratops ride
EXPEDITION Everest
Mission: SPACE
Mickey's PhillharMAGIC
Pooh
I think Buzz Lightyear ride, but not sure....
Alladin Carpet Ride

Most of these attractions, especially all of them besides the first two are top and the last one are high quality or are going to be high quality attractions.

IMHO, I don't think the DL pooh ride was able to have too horibly much potential, due to space constraints and financial constraints.

Not to mention, if they do indeed bring the submarines back, if our version of ToT is awesome, if Space Mountain once it is done is spectacular, and if the Buzz ride is done well, then that would make up for the Pooh ride, although the people above are right: It is a KID ride. It is for the kids. I know this is a bad analogy and statement, but I don't hear anyone complaining about Snow White's Scary Adventure not moving differently in places:p (that was supposed to be funny, don't take me seriously, I realise that ride is a great ride considering how long ago it was made).

Crispy
06-07-2003, 04:09 PM
As you mentioned, how you perceive Pooh depends on to what you perceive it relative. For example, if you judge it relative to the Fantasyland dark rides like Toad and Snow White and Peter Pan, then it is of course on par with those and you don't see people on here saying "Oh, they need to get ride of Peter Pan and Toad. They aren't elaborate enough and they suck." And I think this is probably the way that most locals view the attraction... on par with the Fantasyland dark rides and a nice little ride.

However, a lot of other people view Disneylands Pooh ride, quite naturally, relative to the Pooh rides at the other park. Also, the way people approach Pooh may have been different if the DL version was the first version built and the WDW version was the second version and the Tokyo version was the third built. Then it would have been like "Oh, they improved it each time they built a new one." But the fact is the opposite happened. Tokyo was built first and then the less elaborate WDW version was made. And many of the features from the WDW version were left out of the Disneyland version. So there is a feeling of, "Why do they keep giving us less and less?"

And don't forget what the last dark ride to open up in the Magic Kingdom back in the early 90's? A little ride called "Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin." It's a kid ride too, you know.

So yes, if you view the Pooh Ride in isolation, it is a nice ride and a nice addition to the park and there is nothing wrong with it. But if you view it in comparrison to the other two Pooh rides, then it's a little different. Kinda imagine if you are a little kid and you are going to your friend's house. You are going to have a piece of cake with him and his sister. First his mom cuts off a HUGE piece of cake and gives it to your friend. Then his mom cuts off a slightly smaller (but still large) piece of cake and gives it to his sister. Next, his mom cut off a much smaller piece of cake and gives it to you. You could just choose to look at your piece of cake and just think "Well, this is a nice piece of cake, there's nothing wrong with it." But if you look over and see the pieces of cake that your friend and his sister got before you.... then you feel kind of cheated.

Cris

DL4EVER
06-07-2003, 04:15 PM
Like I said though, Tokyo is without a shadow of a doubt is getting the most money because it is not owned or run by Disney, so of course it gets all ellaborate rides. I mean, just look at their Indy ride and their Journey to the Center of the Eart ride....

WDW is also apparently getting more funding.....

GeminiAngel
06-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by DL4EVER
Like I said though, Tokyo is without a shadow of a doubt is getting the most money because it is not owned or run by Disney,

Who owns it then? and how come they can use the Disney name?

Crispy
06-07-2003, 04:41 PM
>>>Who owns it then? and how come they can use the Disney name?<<<

The Oriental Land Company owns Tokyo Disneyland. Disney receives royalties for use of it's names and characters. Also, as part of the agreement, the Oriental Land Company has use of the Imagineering department to design and build new parks and attractions.

So the only money that Disney gets from Tokyo Disneyland is from the royalties the Oriental Land Company pays them.

Cris

Tigertail777
06-07-2003, 04:49 PM
The Oriental Land co. owns/runs Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyseas. They pretty much just rent out the Disney name/characters. Funny story: The reps from Oriental land co, had a chance in the early days of their park to come out and see Disneyland, they were all excited about seeing the "mecca" that started it all. The got there and were just completely dissappointed with how the place was kept up, they thought since it was Walt's original park the company would have the utmost respect for it (respect is a very big deal to Japanese). They were apalled how the park looked and how little new things there were. Supposedly because of this experince they decided they would never let their "tribute to Walt" decline like that.

By the way, most japanese and even the company itself (oriental land co) do not really consider pooh an E-ticket... they refer to it more as a D ticket. E tickets in Japan are considered to be longer and more elaborate (such as the Journey to the center of the earth ride in Disneyseas).

tracilicious
06-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Crispy
[B
So yes, if you view the Pooh Ride in isolation, it is a nice ride and a nice addition to the park and there is nothing wrong with it. But if you view it in comparrison to the other two Pooh rides, then it's a little different. Kinda imagine if you are a little kid and you are going to your friend's house. You are going to have a piece of cake with him and his sister. First his mom cuts off a HUGE piece of cake and gives it to your friend. Then his mom cuts off a slightly smaller (but still large) piece of cake and gives it to his sister. Next, his mom cut off a much smaller piece of cake and gives it to you. You could just choose to look at your piece of cake and just think "Well, this is a nice piece of cake, there's nothing wrong with it." But if you look over and see the pieces of cake that your friend and his sister got before you.... then you feel kind of cheated.

Cris [/B]

i think that kids that get to go to both parks shouldn't complain about their pieces of cake. lol.

~<:) traci

DivaPrincess
06-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Thanks, Traci. I also enjoyed Winnie the Pooh - the first time, on a sneak preview a few weeks before it opened, and the second time, with my 3 year old daughter. She loved it, as well. I think it rates extrememly well when compared to other dark rides, and I have no problem that it is not in Fantasyland. Thanks for putting up a positive post about this ride.

HBTiggerFan
06-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by tracilicious
i've heard many complaints about the many adventures of winnie the pooh, but i went on it on my trip to d-land last week and i thought it was great. i think maybe some of us are forgetting that this ride wasn't designed as an e-ticket ride. it's a kids ride.

Disneyland is a family park with almost all rides designed for families to ride together. I love dark rides. I love Alice, Peter Pan and Snow White. Those are rides designed for children, yet don't insult adults intelligence. Their ride vehicles are also designed with adults in mind. The cars on Pooh are so cramped, even in the front seat, where there is a little more leg room there wasn't enough for 2 average adults to sit comfortably.

It is extremely poor marketing to design a ride strictly for children. This ride is aimed at really young children at that. Parents go on the rides with their children and would like to enjoy the ride and not have their intelligence insulted or knees bruised.

mousketeer
06-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan

Disneyland is a family park with almost all rides designed for families to ride together. I love dark rides. I love Alice, Peter Pan and Snow White. Those are rides designed for children, yet don't insult adults intelligence. Their ride vehicles are also designed with adults in mind. The cars on Pooh are so cramped, even in the front seat, where there is a little more leg room there wasn't enough for 2 average adults to sit comfortably.

It is extremely poor marketing to design a ride strictly for children. This ride is aimed at really young children at that. Parents go on the rides with their children and would like to enjoy the ride and not have their intelligence insulted or knees bruised. [/B]

Agree, Agree. ;) ;)

EandCDad
06-08-2003, 04:34 AM
It's a fine little ride. There are other rides out there that are better and there are some that are much worse. Actually the beginning and middle are pretty good, the end is horrible and non-sensical. Most young children will enjoy it.

The seats are not luxiourious, but unless my rather large body shape is just odd, I think most adults will be fine in the seats.

donatello3000
06-09-2003, 12:49 AM
I enjoyed the first half of the ride, or maybe the first two thirds. But when the last few scenes were pretty much just painted walls/doors, I felt a bit cheated. Now, I know most of the dark rides in Fantasyland are painted walls/doors, but what I mean is that the ending of the ride left me unsatisfied. It left me with a "that's it?"
I'm not saying the ride is bad, however. It was not meant to be a compelling novel with a strong ending (though aren't Disneyland's rides meant to tell stories?). It's a fun ride, especially when you have kids with you.