PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean

Pages : [1] 2

Undertaker72
06-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Ok. Just came back from disneyland last night. Why was pirates of the carribean closed down?? Did those mean students hurt the ride? There sure was a lot of them there yesterday.

cujosr
06-07-2003, 09:41 AM
I assume you were there during the grad night, chances are that they shut it down to finsh up the last bits of the rehab. As other threads have said when it just came back from rehab not everything was done (effects missing, AAs missing, water level very low). I assume that it was closed to finish up what could not be done it the allotted time. gotta be nice and shiney for the movie premiere right?

Fantasmic Fan
06-07-2003, 04:47 PM
I was in the park last night too and I wanted to go on POTC but it was closed. I wanted to see the rehab work and notice the things that have been talked about on a previous thread, but the attraction was closed. I don't know why either. Does anyone know why?

Kalifornia Kid
06-07-2003, 05:32 PM
I went to the park last night too, Friday, June 6th, and PotC WAS open, I rode it a little after 9:45 PM. Hmmm, maybe a little sensor prob?

mousetrap adam
06-08-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by cujosr
I assume you were there during the grad night, chances are that they shut it down to finsh up the last bits of the rehab. As other threads have said when it just came back from rehab not everything was done (effects missing, AAs missing, water level very low). I assume that it was closed to finish up what could not be done it the allotted time. gotta be nice and shiney for the movie premiere right?

Allow me to clarify a lot of things, as many reports on Pirates' condition have been greatly exaggerated: Undertaker72 is referring to a nearly 4 1/2-hour downtime on Friday evening (nothing to do with Grad Night). There were various problems with AAs and sound on re-opening weekend, but as far I can tell, the only "missing" effect is the clouds not moving through the sky in the opening battle scene; there's at least one all-new one (the smoke drifting upwards in the city-on-fire scene) and a couple of nicely restored ones (the nice, thick fog as well as the shadows fighting one another atop the fort in the battle scene; the dog holding the jail keys wiggles his tail once more). The water level around the two drops seems a little low, but it's pretty much normal everywhere else.

To answer the original question: Pirates went down a little before 5:00 Friday afternoon for a (recurring, unfortunately) problem with the chain lift; this in itself is an easily fixable thing, it just requires turning the ride off and back on again (kinda like restarting your computer). The reason we couldn't come back right away, unfortunately, was due to a guest sustaining an injury as the ride was placed back into motion; I really don't know anything about the guest, how it happened, or the nature of the injury... but it meant we couldn't re-open on our own accord; we had to wait for approval from management, which finally came some 4 hours later. We were back in business around 9:20, just in time for Kalifornia Kid to ride.

-Mo

cujosr
06-08-2003, 05:21 PM
thank you for clairifing things. I got confused at the mention of students in the first post.

SoCalSnowWhite
06-08-2003, 11:35 PM
When we got there at 2, the line was pretty long, so we didn't get on. We went back later and it was closed.:( Same thing when we went to get on Matterhorn and Big Thunder, but we did end up going on those.:)

What was going on that day anyway? There was a lot of Jr. high kids. I figured it was field trips for the last month of school.

Morrigoon
06-08-2003, 11:59 PM
I did not exaggerate the condition of Pirates re-opening weekend. No I have not ridden it since, but I am assured that many things I complained about are already back up (including, I guess, the water level)

Largent81
06-09-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by SoCalSnowWhite
When we got there at 2, the line was pretty long, so we didn't get on. We went back later and it was closed.:( Same thing when we went to get on Matterhorn and Big Thunder, but we did end up going on those.:)

What was going on that day anyway? There was a lot of Jr. high kids. I figured it was field trips for the last month of school.

Don't forget the 7 year old savants from Cal Poly. :rolleyes:

I did find it odd that all of the rides seemed to go down at once. I figured either kids were doing stuff to cause trouble or some maintenance needed to be done. Either way, I was able to ride alot of "big kid" rides and found myself pleased with the day as a whoe.

DrewR
06-09-2003, 11:03 AM
My younger brother and his family were on the ride when it went down. When they went up the lift he said there were CMs working on the lift with flashlights.... Didn't know about the injury though.

Locke Aidan
06-09-2003, 01:09 PM
Yeah, Facilities was having fun in the lift, trying to figure out the problem.

Our overabundance of junior highers that weekend scared quite a few CMs, and many guests. I don't quite know why they were there; unless it was an end of the year "Let's go to Disneyland" thing.

And am I the only one who noticed the 2 missing drunk pirates in the burning city, and the dog who was gone before the down time, and has continued to not show up? I haven't been on it since the Saturday after we reopened, so maybe they're back. I hope they are, at least.

cujosr
06-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Locke Aidan
Our overabundance of junior highers that weekend scared quite a few CMs, and many guests. I don't quite know why they were there; unless it was an end of the year "Let's go to Disneyland" thing. Yep my sister is going this week for her Junior Grad trip. I never did anything like that.:crying:

HBTiggerFan
06-09-2003, 10:15 PM
The fog level is much thicker than before. I don't know about anyone else, but IMHO Disney needs to consider that to much fog may give people breathing difficulties. A little patch of thick fog is good, but a huge patch of thick fog isn't.

cemeinke
06-09-2003, 10:26 PM
No - Thick fog Good!

Besides it's just water vapor

DisneyFan25863
06-10-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
No - Thick fog Good!

Besides it's just water vapor

But what if your H2O intolorent?

SiRocket
06-10-2003, 08:42 AM
it is an h20 water ride :fez:

tod
06-10-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
But what if your H2O intolorent?

Then you shouldn't be on a water ride.

It's people like that who got the subs shut down and ruined it for the rest of us...
;)

--T
tongue firmliy placed in cheek

HBTiggerFan
06-10-2003, 10:14 AM
ok ok ok....

*I* have a hard time breathing in the thick fog. I am not H2O intolorant either ;) I was a JV swimmer in HS.

:p

SoCalSnowWhite
06-10-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Largent81
...and found myself pleased with the day as a whoe.

:eek: Your day as a WHAT???:~D Sheesh, you go walk down the Disney Day once and then you go and label yourself. Don't be so hard on yourself, Angie!!!:~D :D

Fantasmic Fan
06-10-2003, 12:50 PM
I just got back from the park and POTC was 101 (Disney radio code for an attraction being non-operational). I've been by the attraction three times to ride it and it's been down all three times...kind of frustrating but what can I do. I'll get to ride it sooner or later. Does anyone know why it was down today?

Locke Aidan
06-10-2003, 12:59 PM
It was probably the lift again. It's been having lots of problems since it reopened, and thus, has caused nearly every downtime (that I know of) since then. There was that long one on Friday (you know the one), I believe 13 total on Saturday (of which only 1 wasn't because of the lift), and about 5 on Sunday. Don't know about yesterday or today. It's exciting. Really, it is.

Fantasmickey
06-10-2003, 01:25 PM
There was a problem with the lift before the latest refurb. On the last day before the fefurb April 27th, the ride closed at least 2 times( we were having lunch at the BB) and while we were riding it the boats kept getting stuck on the last lift. I was hoping they were going to fix this during the refurb.:(

Locke Aidan
06-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Well, yes, there were problems before the rehab, but there've been many more since we've come back up. Facilities must not like us.

Largent81
06-11-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by SoCalSnowWhite
:eek: Your day as a WHAT???:~D Sheesh, you go walk down the Disney Day once and then you go and label yourself. Don't be so hard on yourself, Angie!!!:~D :D

I have never had a typo be so fitting for myself! (Not literally, ofcourse, long story.) Fine, I will stay away from Magic Way, puffy eye man, and be WHOLEsome. How's that?

How long do they let the lift keep breaking down before they have to completely drain the attraction and fix it? I'm assuming this must be something difficult since it breaks down so often. However, with it breaking down so much aren't they losing more money than it would cost to fix it? *

(*I know nothing, I'm just curious.)

Locke Aidan
06-11-2003, 08:52 PM
It seems to be doing fine at the moment. Pirates was closed the latter part of Monday and early Tuesday, to hopefully fix the problem, and it may have worked.