PDA

View Full Version : If they brought "Your Pal Mickey" to DLR...

MonorailMan
06-06-2003, 06:18 AM
After Kevin's artical on MiceAge, on the "Your Pal Mickey" idea, do you think that it would be good for the DLR.

I don't know about you, but I think it would be awesome if I had a "Mickey" that told me what line is short, or what is closed for the day. This may sound extreamly stange coming from a teenager, but I really like the idea.

"Golly, it's too bad that Space Mountain is closed 'till 2005."
"Looky, the Star Tour's Standby line is short!" :rolleyes:

:fez: (Now if we could only implement the technology into fezzes.) :)

jtm1631
06-06-2003, 06:32 AM
I don't know if it would be a good idea, but I would sure love it. It combines my love of disney and technology into a single unit.

I am 35 years old and would buy this in a minute. The entire concept is awesome. I don't know that I would find it useful, but it sure would be cool.:cool:

JT

MonorailMan
06-06-2003, 06:36 AM
The only semi-problem....

There would be a profit boost in the beggining, with all the APers buying the plush. Howerver, after all the APs that want one, there wouldn't be that much other sales/rentals. I think, that with so many APers, that the rental idea would be limited. ;)

However, if we had it, I'd fork over the $50 in a second. :)

Gemini Cricket
06-06-2003, 06:45 AM
I just read the MiceAge article (http://www.miceage.com/kevinyee/ky060503a.htm) about new technology being used at the Disney Parks.

It struck me as funny.

I keep thinking of money-grabbing suits of the Disney Company programming this doll to say stuff to brainwash the kid holding it:

As you near the Emporium, "Tell mommy you need that Princess tiara."

As you near the Kodak Camera Center, "Take a picture of us in front of the castle. What? You don't have a camera? Mickey's sad now. Make me smile with a disposable camera."

Near Disneyana, "Mommy needs something to go on top of her grand piano. Pick out your favorite collectable statue.... No, not that one. The bigger one."

Near The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, "Thisisagreatride. Youlovethisride. Buyasouvenirtorememberit. Youlovethisride. Youlovethisride. Youlovethisride."

Out in the parking lot (a siren goes off in Mickey's belly), "I have been stolen! Assume the position. The Mickey Police have been called."

:D

10krbell
06-06-2003, 06:47 AM
I wouldn't be in line for one, however being married to an Uber-Geek, he would be the first in line probably! He would probably buy 3 or 4, one to have and the others to rip apart and try to figure out exactly how it works, etc!

Lost Boy
06-06-2003, 07:56 AM
The other neat thing about Pal Mickey (and the others) that was not mentioned in Kevein's article (why? - I don't know) but the original article from WDW mentions that Pal Mickey won't be useless after you leave the Parks (like the pins where that only reacted when you were in the Park). Oh no. Pal Mickey will continue to talk and interact with you outside the Parks and at Home. And not advertisments either. He will be a fun talking plush at home that will have over 60 interactive responses, and then when you take him back to the Park, as you enter he will update and be right up-to-date about things in the Park. When he does come out here, I will also buy him as soon as I get down to the Park. I have no interest in Buzz Lightyear or Pooh, but Pal Mickey will be a lot of fun, and well worth the price.:D

RideMax Mark
06-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by 10krbell
He would probably buy 3 or 4, one to have and the others to rip apart and try to figure out exactly how it works, etc!

If he does rip it apart, please have him share some technical details! I'd be particularly interested in knowing if the infrared receiver operates at the standard 38-40kHz, or if it's using some other IR system.:geek:

It's been mentioned that new data gets downloaded to Pal Mickey each time you enter one of the parks. If these units are using IR, I'd be surprised if they can download too many new "chunks" of speech, due to the limited bandwith of typical IR systems. Does anyone have a pointer to some official Disney info on what actually does get downloaded on entering the parks?

cstephens
06-06-2003, 10:39 AM
I'm apparently the only person who doesn't think it's that great. Sure, I can see some of the appeal of it, but I was never one to be interested in plush that just talked to you for no reason.

And, I think I would find it cumbersome to have to carry him around all day.

So y'all have a good time with it. I'll just be peeking over your shoulder to see what he does.

Disneyphile
06-06-2003, 12:17 PM
I *so* want one! I think it would be awesome. :)

And it would be great companionship for those of us who go to the park alone a lot of the time!

Oh, great, now I really look like a geek.:geek:

And, should anybody ever witness me talking back to my little plush pal, please feel free to have me committed.;)

RideMax Mark
06-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Even though I think Pal Mickey is pretty cool, I still think if they were going to introduce "infrared-controlled" gadgets into the parks it would be even better if it worked the other way around --an infrared emitter hidden in a "Tinkerbell Wand" for example, that you could carry around with you and activate hidden goodies within the park. (See http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3614 for a previous discussion on this.)

lazyboy97O
06-06-2003, 02:05 PM
I think the concept is a good, especially since there's really nothing you couldn't bring on. I think if it went multi park then they should do it at all the parks so that your Mickey from WDW will work at Disneyland, Tokyo Disney, Disneyland Paris, and Hong Kong Disney.

swtkissez
06-06-2003, 03:02 PM
This talking pal mickey soooo reminds me of Carlsbad Caverns and their little radio thing that dispensed factoids whenever you passed a trnasmitter, i was very little whenever we went and i was sooo fascinated by the little radio. teehee.

dflores
06-06-2003, 06:01 PM
Well, I feel cheated!!!! I thought of this when I was eight!!!
Should I sue, or just play that "demented game"?:D

Polar33
06-06-2003, 09:48 PM
I bought a Pal Mickey on my recent trip to WDW to see what all the fuss was about and I must say that I was rather impressed. I do wish that I would have had a bit more training when I had purchased my Pal Mickey though, the two cashiers that I bought him from had never sold one before and they weren't quite sure what to do to sell me one.

The only problem that I encountered that they need to address is that Mickey likes to slip off his belt clip a little too easily whenever I sat down. That occurrence lead to me having to put him in my backpack whenever I was planning on sitting down, which also meant that sometimes I did not get him updated at the gate when I went through. This got me a whole lot of trivia and jokes throughout the day but no wait time, show, or character info.

And I don't know if it was a fluke, or if it was supposed to happen but Mickey kept on going off during the last minute or so of The American Adventure. Talk about an inappropriate time, really embarrassing too.

I took pictures of a few of the IR transmitters, here's one on a parade route speaker at Disney-MGM Studios (http://www.stupidguesttricks.com/polar/photos/IRtransmitterCU.JPG), there are others in trees, in windows, roofs of buildings. Most are not noticable unless you are looking.

I think it would be a great idea if they brought Pal Mickey over to Disneyland. Create a synergy between the two resorts...what a concept. While they are at it they can bring over that addictive magic moments trivia game and the other magic moments pins and toys.

MonorailMan
06-17-2003, 09:19 AM
After today's fabulous artical by AVP, on Your Pal Mickey, (http://www.mouseplanet.com/wdwupdate/wdw030617avp.htm) it makes we want DL to get them even more!

However, it sounds like the way the doll works is very sensitive. However, it still sounds cool, and could easily be put into Disneyland. :)

cstephens
06-17-2003, 11:41 AM
The more I read about Pal Mickey, the less I want one and the less I want to be around hordes of them. I don't want to have to carry around this thing that chatters at me incessantly, and unprovoked, nor do I think I want to be around a bunch of people, each with their own Pal Mickey, chattering incessantly.

So I vote for leaving him at WDW.

Andrew
06-17-2003, 11:46 AM
I mostly agree, but I did think the last bit about the two Mickeys communicating with each other was pretty cool. Unless they start plotting against their owners.

MonorailMan
06-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
The more I read about Pal Mickey, the less I want one and the less I want to be around hordes of them. I don't want to have to carry around this thing that chatters at me incessantly, and unprovoked, nor do I think I want to be around a bunch of people, each with their own Pal Mickey, chattering incessantly.

Isn't he only chatters if you squeeze his glove, or tummy? :confused:

AVP
06-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Isn't he only chatters if you squeeze his glove, or tummy? :confused:

He giggles whenever he wants to tell you something, but he never speaks until you squeeze and hand or tummy.

AVP

Wizard69
06-17-2003, 01:59 PM

So I vote for leaving him at WDW.

If he can't "see" he can't talk so you can leave him in a backpack or in the dark if you don't want him to talk. Or, in your case, don't buy one.

I'm all for bringing it to the DLR. I want one!!

jerjer2005
06-17-2003, 07:27 PM
I myself would love a pal mickey. but i think it would be better if they had the pal mickeys for the kids and maybe a simple decorated walkie talkie for the adults (and enthusastic Disney freak teenagers like me) have the kids one do the character stuff and the jokes and maybe even some games and have the adults with show times and ride time.

donatello3000
06-19-2003, 03:08 AM
I want a My Pal Jungle Cruise Skipper to make sarcastic comments as I walk through the park.

disNeytEen
06-20-2003, 12:50 PM
I can't wait to go to WDW this october to pick me up a mickey pal. And i do like the idea of mickey coming to DisneyLand. I think that they should make a minnie pal for females that way when mickey is next to minnie he could talk to her and she would respond. And for the duck fans a donald that gets mad when people buy more mickeys then him. Just stuff like that that makes it more interactive.

Doodle Duck
06-21-2003, 08:15 AM
If this thread is being 'watched'...I can't wait to get one 'just because'. It HAS to come to DL...so when?

As to a Donald...who could understand him?

My preferrence would be a 'Scar' as long as Jeremy Irons was voicing the thing.

Doug
http://lionpoint.com