PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones evacuation last week

tylerbo20
07-23-2011, 10:34 AM
I was there last week and Indiana Jones broke down (daily) but this one time they had to evacuate everyone very quickly and they started yelling and shouting at people to get out (the cast) then word spread quickly that someone had died on the ride?? does anyone have any info on this???

familymemories
07-23-2011, 02:00 PM
That would be sad if true.

MammaSilva
07-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Considering there has been zero news coverage I sincerely doubt it is true. A google search turned up nothing.

houseofmouse
07-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Maybe someone got sick, threw up? That I could see triggering a stop, but not a total freak out like described. It was down a ton while we were there this month as well. It needs some serious love.

iceman559
07-27-2011, 06:37 AM
Maybe there was a hydraulic leak or something and they just needed to get everyone out quick due to risk of fumes/fire? Like MammaSilva said, I find it hard to believe anyone was even injured let alone killed since it didn't even make the news or any reports anywhere. How long was the ride down? If someone even got injured on it, it would be down for a while since OSHA would have to investigate it. Thunder Mountain was closed almost two months after the July 2004 accident in the station (not to mention 6 months after the 2003 accident that resulted in a death). So I wouldn't believe this to be true.

Linda100859
07-28-2011, 08:09 PM
I was there last week and I think I rode it Thursday, it seems alot of the big rides were down alot.

Teddi
07-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Seems like a lot of posters here and elsewhere seem to be talking about a breakdown week from heck. That's too bad. It really does make a trip less enjoyable.

iceman559
07-29-2011, 05:41 AM
That it does. Unfortunately, all the big ticket rides are old and just getting older. Breakdowns are going to keep becoming more frequent. All the maintenance in the world won't prevent it. The only real way to decrease the number of breakdowns is to completely replace the parts that are/will give trouble.

They've done it with Space, and if we can believe the reports, they're doing it with the Matterhorn, now they just slowly need to start replacing all the rest. I don't expect it to happen unless they see a sharp decrease in attendance due to breakdown issues, though.

Barberella
07-29-2011, 05:42 AM
Sometimes the same people who get upset about ride breakdowns are also the ones the most upset when one of their favorites attractions will be down for rehab during their vacation. You can't have it both ways, folks.

Sometimes it's not what happens but how people deal with it.

ThatCrazyRedhead
07-29-2011, 07:03 AM
Sometimes the same people who get upset about ride breakdowns are also the ones the most upset when one of their favorites attractions will be down for rehab during their vacation. You can't have it both ways, folks.

I think you're right on the money, Barberella! :)

iceman559
07-29-2011, 07:14 AM

Precisely. The only time I get angry about breakdowns or refurbishments is if it's caused by someone's stupid actions (such as CMs having to stop a ride because a guest is standing up in a boat or something) or if it's a good majority of the E-ticket attractions at the same time. There was a day I went shortly after Space Mountain was closed for it's 2 year rebuild, and Pirates, Indy, BTMRR, Matterhorn AND Splash were all down for the first two hours that the park was open. They were all up and down the rest of my trip as well. That was an incredibly annoying trip.

For the most part though, people do need to understand that if you want to prevent unexpected breakdowns, they will need to schedule more/longer refurbishments.

Teddi
07-29-2011, 12:19 PM
There was a day I went shortly after Space Mountain was closed for it's 2 year rebuild, and Pirates, Indy, BTMRR, Matterhorn AND Splash were all down for the first two hours that the park was open. They were all up and down the rest of my trip as well. That was an incredibly annoying trip.

We're not going in the fall because Pirates is down (and the BB), so add me to the Piratesapocalypse camp (but i'll swap that out and be happy with like 4-5 hours in the park total over D23 Expo... go figure), BUT

That's way different from the family that goes to DLR every few years or decade and they happen to have 5 major rides down or repeatedly breaking down during their trip. So while I'm in camp A, being able to go more frequently doesn't put me into crowd B.

But you're right- Summer times means high crowds everyday and rides in operation from 8 am to midnight everyday. More people, more mishaps, more wear and tear. The only option is a total refurb- a major task that takes an attraction down for a long time (so while some complain about the Matterhorn, I think it's to DLRs credit it's been NOT down totally for say, a year or 18 months).

I think the only thing we can "fault" Disney for is just that they should make these things as well known/published as far in advance as they *reasonably* can.

iceman559
07-29-2011, 01:53 PM
I think the only thing we can "fault" Disney for is just that they should make these things as well known/published as far in advance as they *reasonably* can.

Very true. No more Space Mountain incidents! haha. Probably what really annoyed us most about that trip was how Space Mountain was not listed on the refurbishment schedule as of the day we left for California. The next day, when we got into the park, we ran over to Space and it was closed...for over two years...lol. Needless to say, that didn't start us out in the best mood. Once all the others went down, we went to City Hall and complained and they gave us those "fast pass" things (whatever they are called) that we could use on almost any ride. They also forward the complaint on to higher levels and someone called us once we got back and replaced our completely used five-day park hoppers with brand new ones for our next trip! We still got a nice trip out of it, but that original one was definitely somewhat of a bummer with every ride you want to ride being down when you want to ride it! haha.

Malcon10t
07-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Very true. No more Space Mountain incidents! haha. Probably what really annoyed us most about that trip was how Space Mountain was not listed on the refurbishment schedule as of the day we left for California. I don't think that was a "planned" refurb at that time. I remember it was widely known it was supposed to go to refurb in Sept of 2003 for a long refurb, and the morning of April 10th, it was even staffed for the day, people were in line, and it just didn't open. Rumor was it had something big go wrong.

Most refurbs are known at least 6 weeks out, like we know POTC, Matterhorn, etc...

mousterpiece
07-29-2011, 06:26 PM
I didn't get angry (life's too short to get angry on vacation), but as a previous poster mentioned, last weekend, there were a lot of rides that were down during the day, none of which were slated to do so. My wife and I were able to ride on Indy, Monsters, Inc., Space Mountain, and a few others, but Grizzly River Run, in particular, was completely down two separate days. On the one hand, it kind of sucked, but on the other hand, I now know what the big drop at the end looks like without water rushing down the track. Sometimes, the behind-the-scenes stuff is as cool as the actual ride!

danyoung
07-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Rumor was it had something big go wrong....

From what I read at the time, the morning inspection found some cracks in the tracks. And since it was scheduled to go down shortly for a major rebuild, they just decided to advance the timetable and go ahead and take it down right then rather than patch it up for only a few days.

iceman559
07-31-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't think that was a "planned" refurb at that time.

Yeah, I definitely understand that. I was just using that as an example. I totally understand that things happen that cause rides to have to go down unexpectedly. It'd be nice for Disney to be able to schedule things at least a year out so people can plan in advance, but I know that's practically impossible. We always wait to book our hotel and buy tickets until a couple months before our trip so we can keep an eye on the refurbishment schedule and do our best to plan around it. It's annoying when something is closed for refurbishment when it isn't on the list until a week or two before it closes (or not at all) but I understand that things happen. Like I said, the big reason that we were annoyed was that fact, but then also that the rest of the rides broke down AT LEAST once a day each (Matterhorn and Thunder were even more often at 2-3 times per day). It was crazy.

leota's necklace
07-31-2011, 04:34 PM
I think it's important to distiguish actual breakdowns needing repair from cascade stops and the like, that require the ride system to be reset. On our end, sure, they look the same, and we get turned away at the queue -- but resets are going to be more common on busy days, just looking at it from a statistical standpoint, and there is just nothing to be done about it. It's not like Disney can control it, and since it's a safety feature, I am pretty glad it happens, frankly.

CMHusband
07-31-2011, 08:52 PM
I was talking to a guy yesterday (not at the park, but a neighbor) who sells commercial oils - basically hydraulic fluid to companies the use machines and hydraulics. He used to sell the fluids to Disney - He says the Star Tours Hydraulics are pretty high quality - and they take a real beating - He was involved in building that one years ago. Indy on the other hand also takes a major beating, but the quality of the equipment isn't nearly as good, which means it has more potential for breaking down. This is second hand info and I have no idea if its true or not, but it kind of makes some sense.