PDA

View Full Version : Another constituency heard from on DCA

Pages : [1] 2

tod
06-05-2003, 09:20 AM
A friend of mine found this on a most un-Disney-like website:

This is about something as truly unique as being struck by lightning, winning the lottery or leaving Disney's California Adventure feeling thoroughly satisfied and entertained.

Never mind what site. Suffice it to say that the displeasure about DCA has spread.

--T

Tref
06-05-2003, 09:36 AM
Tower of Terror will do a lot to change this perception ... I hope.

newhdplayer
06-05-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Tref
Tower of Terror will do a lot to change this perception ... I hope.

Nope.

tracilicious
06-05-2003, 04:58 PM
i like dca. sure it needs some work, but it is still pretty new. you can't find ice cream that good anywhere else.

~<:) traci

Morrigoon
06-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Gibson Girl.

zapppop
06-05-2003, 06:38 PM
Cone Shop

Carnation Cafe

jerjer2005
06-05-2003, 07:24 PM
I dont know what i would do without Strips and Dips! best chicken around.

hehe ya ya i know i have wierd taste

cujosr
06-05-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by tracilicious
i like dca. sure it needs some work, but it is still pretty new. you can't find ice cream that good anywhere else.

~<:) traci Being that I used to work there, Traci, Thank you.

ryguy
06-05-2003, 11:49 PM
DCA is cool but not a theme park cool more like a univeral city walk cool, and santa monica peir. but give it a chance and let it grow and it will become something cool hopefully with the next couple of years.
At least they have beer. :D

malin
06-06-2003, 12:45 AM
Why do people criticise DCA all the time.The park has two of the best E tickets attractions in a Disney park today.Screamin and Sourin.With soon to be joined by a 3rd with TOT.

Grizzley River Run and Its Tough To Be A Bug are great fun.

Disney Animation is an interesting look in how the likes of Mickey Mouse and co were made.

I havn't seen the Aladdin show but hear its excellent.

I also had a blast on Muppet 4D,Millionaire,Maliboomer,Disney's Electrical Parade etc.

There is more then enough attractions for everyone to enjoy.With more being added each year.So DCA can only improve.

And that ice cream is good:)

MonorailMan
06-06-2003, 05:58 AM
Just don't get rid of my Millionaire. :)

Screamin' rocks too. :)

CrayZforDisney
06-06-2003, 06:05 AM
... Disneyland was just like California Adventure when it opened. It had carnival rides, no trees, budget cuts,and cheap facades. Disneyland has had 50 years to improve! California Adventure has had uh, uh... 2 years to improve, man that is one long time!

hbquikcomjamesl
06-06-2003, 07:39 AM
I wouldn't go quite that far about the similarities between DCA of today and DL of the late 1950s. DL never had "carnival rides" as cheap and as off-the-shelf as Mulholland Mistake, but they did have plenty of attractions that were merely exhibits, and plenty of low-budget facades, and even some reputedly very good attractions that simply couldn't take the pounding of daily operation.

Now that the Soap Opera Bistro is no more, and the Avalon Cove makeover has had time to settle, I'll probably try a meal there. I'll probably also do ToT once it's open, but probably not until the initial crowds have have had time to thin out, and I probably won't be a regular on it.

RStar
06-06-2003, 08:14 AM
By the way, Tod, you missed your birthday thread!

So HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY!!

Tref
06-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by newhdplayer
Nope.

Yep.

swtkissez
06-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by malin
Why do people criticise DCA all the time.The park has two of the best E tickets attractions in a Disney park today.Screamin and Sourin.With soon to be joined by a 3rd with TOT.

Grizzley River Run and Its Tough To Be A Bug are great fun.

Disney Animation is an interesting look in how the likes of Mickey Mouse and co were made.

I havn't seen the Aladdin show but hear its excellent.

I also had a blast on Muppet 4D,Millionaire,Maliboomer,Disney's Electrical Parade etc.

There is more then enough attractions for everyone to enjoy.With more being added each year.So DCA can only improve.

And that ice cream is good:)

Finally someone on my side...thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.........:D :D ( this goes foryou too Ryguy)

timl33
06-06-2003, 12:19 PM
Reduce the price to something that's worth the value and I'd stop complaining. As it is, I'm glad I bought an annual pass so I don't have to spend $47 every time I want to go play Millionaire. Yes, DCA has some good rides, but it's not worth the same price as Disneyland.

Originally posted by malin

Tigertail777
06-06-2003, 12:19 PM
I will not ride the merry-go-round once again of why I dislike DCA, but I will say I think people comparing it to Disneyland in its early days have no clue historically what the amusement industry was like before Disneyland. Disneyland was a pace setter, a never before seen one of a kind park, that had really no precedent. DCA has all kinds of history and precedents to lean on for inspiration, so there is absolutely no excuse for anything in that park to be badly themed or boring by nearly ANYONES standards. To give them that kind of slack is to say that the theme industry has learned nothing since the 50's. Disneyland opened sparsely, and with boring exhibits etc. because it HAD to Walt was strapped for cash and did the best he could to put stuff in there just to fill it up. You can hardly say the present Disney company is strapped for cash when the ceo gets a million dollar bonus.

All of that said however... I think that the California theme could actually work and work very nicely if they would base the majority of it on historical California: rides on the gold rush, Zorro (ok semi historical LOL), even on the history of the Disney company itself... really DCA could be a epcot of the history of california and in particular the Disney company... come on how much it would it cost them to make a permanent musuem type building stuffed full of all the stuff they already have in the archives? It would be neat to have a history of Disneyland for one thing since its right next door, this is the perfect location for it. A musuem on Disneyland would only work next to Disneyland it really wouldnt work anywhere else. And the musuem doesnt have to be boring make it interactive, have small samples of the old rides to ride (not the entire rides, just some of the major sets the rides were known for) in a kind of universal tram tour of old Disneyland. Really soak up that nostalgic atmosphere by having cast wear recreations of the original CM uniforms. Have a giftshop or shops that sell nostalgic merchandise. Make the park next door important by having people understand the history of Disneyland, the Disney company, and California better.

cujosr
06-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by swtkissez
Finally someone on my side...thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.........:D :D ( this goes foryou too Ryguy)
I'm on your side too. DCA was a great place to go and just hang out. I loved walking around at night when nobody was there... I did that during the day too. :D ;)

TP2000
06-06-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by cujosr
I loved walking around at night when nobody was there... I did that during the day too. :D ;)

Um, yeah. Somehow I don't think that's what the designers and Disney execs had in mind for the place when they created, funded and built the place. I have a hunch they were expecting crowds of people spending money, rather than sparse AP's wandering from Millionaire to Screamin' before heading back to Disneyland for the night.

me&mickeymcgee
06-07-2003, 12:19 AM
I don't want to be mean but...if DCA is so bad why do you people spend your time and money on AP's, gas, food, parking, shopping? Sure it's not the absolute best but it sure as hell isn't the worst...been to Magic Mountain lately? Also, the article in Consumer Reports that had DCA at the end of a list of, I think, 15 theme parks....that was just 15 parks they surveyed out of probably close to 100 theme parks in the country. Give DCA some kind of credit for at least being clean and entertaining...again, been to Magic Mountain lately? I am so sick of AP's complaining about every little thing and then continue to spend hundreds of dollars year after year. Personally, if I don't like a place I've visited or don't like the product, I don't patronize the establishment again and again and again. People are expecting too much and getting there hopes up only to be let down. I've heard more good things than bad about the new Pooh ride and it seems the ones that like it the least are the AP's. Then what happens, they go on it over and over and take pictures when it goes down simply to exploit the very company they continue to patronize and complain about. Doesn't make sense to me.

HBTiggerFan
06-07-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by me&mickeymcgee
I don't want to be mean but...if DCA is so bad why do you people spend your time and money on AP's, gas, food, parking, shopping?

Um we "APs" don't get a choice whether or not we want DCA on it. It just comes that way.

I am so sick of AP's complaining about every little thing and then continue to spend hundreds of dollars year after year. Personally, if I don't like a place I've visited or don't like the product, I don't patronize the establishment again and again and again.

This may be one of the more negative Disney boards around. I'm sure there are plenty of positive ones. Personally I am sick and tired of people complaining about the people who complain about DCA. Personally if I don't like a message boards tone I don't post there anymore.

People are expecting too much and getting there hopes up only to be let down.

How are we expecting to much when Disney (a name *I* have come to expect a superior product from) opens a subpar theme park? DCA is a giant strip mall with a few rides. I think there are more rides in the Mall of America.

I've heard more good things than bad about the new Pooh ride and it seems the ones that like it the least are the AP's. Then what happens, they go on it over and over and take pictures when it goes down simply to exploit the very company they continue to patronize and complain about. Doesn't make sense to me.

I was expecting nothing from the new Pooh ride. And I went on it, and it was HORRIBLE. And if you saw what Tokyo or even Florida did with their Pooh ride you may understand better why we are so disappointed.

This is what I said as summarized by innerSpaceman after my first ride, expecting nothing:

Her reaction was priceless. From the insatiable Tigger fan, "I'm so sad." And then immediately from the diehard Disneyland fan, "That ride sucks!"

CrayZforDisney
06-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
I will not ride the merry-go-round once again of why I dislike DCA, but I will say I think people comparing it to Disneyland in its early days have no clue historically what the amusement industry was like before Disneyland.

:( :( :( :crying: :crying: :crying:

GeminiAngel
06-09-2003, 11:03 AM
I swear DCA gets as much rejection as a new StepFather!!!! Don't worry DCA, I stand by you!!! ;)

DrewR
06-09-2003, 11:17 AM
We just got back from vacation. My whole family LOVES Soarin'. My 6 year old and his 3 year old sister liked the Muppet show and LOVED the Aladdin show (which my wife and I thought was very good as well). We all enjoy the Light Parade. We did the character lunch at Ariel's Gotto and had a great time. Bottom line is that we had a very good time and enjoyed the park. I think the park is a themed park mostly because of the frequent characters you find. With some more maturity over the next several years (and the addition of TOT) I think the park will become a bigger hit. We intend to go back at any rate!