PDA

View Full Version : Fraudulent tickets

Pages : [1] 2

DizneyMommy
07-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Is there an email/website or phone number to report someone who is selling fraudulent tickets? I hate these scammers... they ruin life for the rest of us

AnotherJenny
07-16-2011, 03:25 PM
The local police. That would probably be your best option.

DizneyMommy
07-17-2011, 06:40 AM
I didn't actually buy the tickets, so that isnt an option. I mean a number or email to report it to Disney directly. I remember when we were at WDW last summer there was a thing on the news one of the days about a fraud operation that was shut down and they had a number to the "Disney task force" you could report any others to, it was direct to Disney, not the police.

I believe since I did not buy the tickets and was not a victim, Disney would have to report that to the police as they are the ones being defrauded.

The old man
07-17-2011, 09:56 AM
I guess it would be the FBI since there is probably interstate laws that are being violated--however, good luck with that.

Smorri
07-17-2011, 12:27 PM
I really don't mean to sound rude, but why not just call Disney? I'm sure someone in customer relations would set you on the right track.

DizneyMommy
07-17-2011, 09:13 PM
I really don't mean to sound rude, but why not just call Disney? I'm sure someone in customer relations would set you on the right track.

I did. That was my first call, the girl had no idea

AnotherJenny
07-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Disney probably does not lose enough money to justify it in California. There was a woman selling fake tickets in Walnut Creek and it was handled by the local police. You don't have to be a victim, you can always call them and ask if you can report the crime.

(I called the local police last week to report a car on my street that hadn't moved in 4 days and had 3 parking tickets. I read them the license plate, they said it wasn't stolen and that was it.)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Fake tickets, or the sellers on Ebay that buy the 13 day tickets sold to Australian tour groups, and then sell individual days on them?
If it's the eBay thing, I did a thread on this about a year ago, it was reported to Disney. They are still selling, so nothing was done.

CMHusband
07-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Send me the info in a PM and I'll forward it to the correct people. I know who handles this and I can email it directly to them. Its hard to bust everyone but they do work on it, but these thieves just keep cropping up. Unfortunately there is enough suckers to keep going for it, so there is always a market for scammers. Its sad for the people who get ripped off, except that its their own fault that they went for a deal too good to be true.

Drince88
07-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Send me the info in a PM and I'll forward it to the correct people.
There isn't any way for the general public to get the information to the correct people? You'd think Disney would have an readily accessible loss prevention group, or something - if they really are serious about this.

Angie2009
07-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Don't really see how it ruins anything for anyone but the folks who buy tickets that don't work. If it bothered Disney they'd do something about it.

I don't mind buying unused 1 day hoppers on ebay for $5 or $10 off that someone can't use. Can't imagine going to one of those pick up your ticket in the morning, drop it off at night places. I guess I see them as very different things.

DizneyMommy
07-24-2011, 07:22 PM
There isn't any way for the general public to get the information to the correct people? You'd think Disney would have an readily accessible loss prevention group, or something - if they really are serious about this.

This, this!!! :-)

And for the record I am talking about one of those rent-a-ticket guys who rents out one day of a hopper for cheap. No, it does not directly affect me but i feel for the families who are unknowingly handing over their money only to potentially be turned away at the gate. These guys make their website look so legit and go so far as to lie and say they are 100% legal and legit, I could see how someone from out of the area may fall for it

CMHusband
07-24-2011, 07:39 PM

Not that I know of. They don't give out peoples emails. If you call the general GSB number they might pass the info on. (They should) but its hard to tell if they do or not because its very hard to enforce.

Angie2009
07-24-2011, 07:41 PM
I see your point, dizneymommy. I guess I have a hard time seeing through the eyes of someone who doesn't know exactly what the game is with those day ticket sellers. It seems so obvious! But everyone isn't on mouseplanet...

wwomant
07-24-2011, 08:56 PM

I just keep getting the impression that they aren't very serious about it. I know they fight it some, but Disney must not feel that they lose enough money on these to justify the expense of an effective task force for the the problem.

doublewide77
07-26-2011, 11:24 PM
I guess I don't understand the rage here. There's 2 different issues. 1 The complete con job, where the ticket scalper sells a ticket and you find out it's not any good, either fake or expired in some way. And doesn't work at all getting you into the park. 2 Selling you a ticket at less then the cost of a day ticket but that does work. The first is a fraud and a crime. The 2nd I'm not sure is a crime, it's just against disney policy. Most of the scalpers are doing the 2nd one. Disney is certainly aware of them and obviously has decided the increased security to completely shut them down (fingerprint scans or face pictures for multiday tickets) is not yet worth the cost and hassle.

adriennek
07-27-2011, 04:29 PM
2 Selling you a ticket at less then the cost of a day ticket but that does work. The first is a fraud and a crime. The 2nd I'm not sure is a crime, it's just against disney policy. Most of the scalpers are doing the 2nd one. Disney is certainly aware of them and obviously has decided the increased security to completely shut them down (fingerprint scans or face pictures for multiday tickets) is not yet worth the cost and hassle.

While Disney hasn't completely shut down Version 2.0, they've been cracking down on those with the guests who bought these tickets that "should work", being turned away anyway. The Front Gate CMs have been flagging these tickets when the people come through. This has been witnessed by MousePad members, at least two who I can think of have reported seeing this happen.

Just because the tickets have valid dates left on the tickets doesn't mean that the people buying them are getting into the parks with them. If it's against Disney Policy, Disney can refuse to accept the ticket if they believe the fraud is being committed. And that is one thing that they're doing.

Bolivar
07-28-2011, 10:28 AM
If the scalper is selling to someone who would not have bought a ticket unless they got that discount, then despite the discount to the buyer and the profit to the seller, Disney is still making money off the sale. Something is more than nothing. However if that sale came from someone who would otherwise have bought a full price ticket, then Disney is losing money -- the money going to the seller should be Disney's.

The million dollar question is who is buying these tickets: Is it people who would otherwise have bought full price tickets or people who would not have bought a ticket at all unless they got this deal? I don't know the answer, but my suspicion is that the way to maximize profit would be to do a lukewarm job of stopping the scalping. Do just enough to keep people who can afford it honest, but people a bit more desperate for a discount willing to risk it.

Toocherie
07-29-2011, 12:41 PM
color me selfish, but if I'm paying full price for a hopper/park ticket/pass, I really don't want people clogging up lines/taking space on the curb for the parade etc./grabbing tables who are present only because they got a "cheap" and unauthorized deal. Granted the percentage of people who are using these tickets is probably not large, but to me it's the same as buying a movie ticket in a multiplex and watching one movie then going into another theatre and watching a second movie. It's "cheating."

I don't like being around cheaters and am even more miffed when they inconvience me while they cheat.

ETA: Bolivar your argument doesn't make sense to me--if a multi-day parkhopper is bought then Disney has gotten all the money it's going to get from that (other than food/souvenirs). It may delay some people from going to DLR as often, but I don't think it would entirely keep someone from not ever going. And from what I've read, the seller is not only getting the profit that is going to Disney, they are getting a multiple of the money--so if a 5-day parkhopper was say, $230, but the unauthorized seller sells it for $60 a day, that seller is getting $70 that Disney would have never seen--and we all have additional people in the parks.

Bolivar
07-29-2011, 01:37 PM
To use your five day ticket example: the scalper pays $230 which is $49 per day. A one day hopper is $105. So, Disney lost out on $59 if that buyer would have bought a one day hopper directly.

I agree with you that I would rather Disneyland was less crowded and that there weren't people in there who paid less for tickets. I would really like it if I was there only person there and that Disney not only gave me free tickets, but paid me to be there, but that isn't going to happen. Disney exists to make money and selling tickets is one of the ways they make money. I am talking from a Disney perspective as to what would maximize their profits. Or, what I suspect might maximize their profits. I don't know the actual demographics of who is buying the scalped tickets.

So back to the example. If I wasn’t going to go because I only had one day and $105 was just too steep for me, then Disney makes nothing. But, then I see someone selling a ticket for $60 and I decide that is worth it. Well in that case Disney made $49 they would not have otherwise made if scalpers didn’t exist, plus whatever money I spend on food and things in the park. So that is a win/win/win – Disney makes money, scalper makes money, I get a discounted ticket. But, if I would have bought a ticket anyway, then Disney is losing out on the $59 I didn’t pay them for the $105 ticket.

bennette
07-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Do just enough to keep people who can afford it honest, but people a bit more desperate for a discount willing to risk it.

I'm of the opinion that everyone can afford to be honest. Integrity has nothing to do with income.

We're not talking about feeding a starving kid here. We're talking about a trip to an amusement park.

adriennek
07-29-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm of the opinion that everyone can afford to be honest. Integrity has nothing to do with income.

We're not talking about feeding a starving kid here. We're talking about a trip to an amusement park.

+1. Thumbs up. This. Thisthisthisthisthis.

Malcon10t
07-29-2011, 02:56 PM

We're not talking about feeding a starving kid here. We're talking about a trip to an amusement park.We seriously need a "LIKE" button for posts...

MammaSilva
07-29-2011, 03:11 PM

This needed a threepeat!!!!!!!!!!

SigalTchelet
07-29-2011, 04:46 PM

I'm with you, as well, Bennette! Cheating is Cheating!