PDA

View Full Version : Wind in Haunted Mansion

ScottC4746
07-15-2011, 04:57 AM
I forgot to post this from my last visit. Has anyone ever noticed the wind you hear when walking in the long hallway after getting out of the elevators is actually pitched as a very minor keyed Grim Grinning Ghosts to accent the music playing in the same area of the same piece?

newhdplayer
07-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Never have noticed that, but now I'm destined to stand there til I hear it.

IllusionOfLife
07-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that before. It's subtle, but it's a nice touch.

leota's necklace
07-15-2011, 01:53 PM
I love it. I admit I might not have noticed it if 1) my love affair with the Manse hadn't started at a time when it was still possible to be the ONLY PERSON on the ride, and 2) if I didn't have the soundtrack.

torquedork
07-16-2011, 08:52 PM
I actually had done the HM just to check out the Sound of the Wind. Which I had discovered that there's a Second Elevator which the Door was open at the Exact Same time as the Group that I was with as we were Exiting the Main Elevator where the start of the Group had stopped and Turned to the Left where I didn't know why several people had stopped until I had gotten out of the Elevator and turned and discovering the Second Elevator.

ScottC4746
07-18-2011, 06:30 AM
I actually had done the HM just to check out the Sound of the Wind. Which I had discovered that there's a Second Elevator which the Door was open at the Exact Same time as the Group that I was with as we were Exiting the Main Elevator where the start of the Group had stopped and Turned to the Left where I didn't know why several people had stopped until I had gotten out of the Elevator and turned and discovering the Second Elevator.

Yes, there are two elevators, both are not used unless the crowed warents it. On is when you walk into the hall way, it is to the left, the other is straight ahead. When you exit and turn around (unless you are at the front of the crowd), they appear opposite:
The one that was to your left is now straight ahead and the one straight ahead is now on your left.

tylerbo20
07-19-2011, 08:17 PM
anyone else notice how dark its gotten inside the ride? i was there this last weekend and was surprised how dark it has become and smokey effect you can barley see anything same with Pirates.

cstephens
07-20-2011, 10:23 AM
anyone else notice how dark its gotten inside the ride? i was there this last weekend and was surprised how dark it has become and smokey effect you can barley see anything same with Pirates.

Did you go on the ride during the daytime? If so, that will add to how dark it seems inside, especially if it's a particularly bright day out, because it takes your eyes a while to adjust to the darker light inside, so you don't see as well. I find that I prefer going on Pirates and Haunted Mansion in the evenings cause your eyes are already adjusted to the lower light, so you can see better inside.

animal24
07-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Actually the wind noise is compressed air being blown sideways through X Atencio's mouth, and him changing the resonance of his mouth in much the same way one whistles to change the pitch.

And Dark rides are supposed to be Dark!!!

tylerbo20
07-29-2011, 05:34 PM
ya i realize that they are supposed to be dark i guess my eyes are just failing thanks

rustymick
07-29-2011, 05:46 PM
ya i realize that they are supposed to be dark i guess my eyes are just failing thanks

I've thought the same thing myself--they seem to be darker sometimes, and it didn't seem to matter whether it was day or night.

animal24
07-31-2011, 09:39 AM
alright, in actuality this has been a debate for a while on other forums. Without enough light, you don't get to see all the detail that they have put into all the scenes. But with too much light you see the acoustic tiles ceilings, and edges of the scrims and all sorts of other things you aren't meant to see. I myself, like the ride darker. My only thing i would change is the amount of people they push through. Like the musical wind, there are things you wouldn't hear without a certain amount of "dead silence".

Goodnplenty
08-01-2011, 07:38 AM
This is a very interesting topic. When DH and I went to DL for the very first time one of the interesting things we noticed was that the DL HM and PPan both were darker than their counter parts here at MK. We could really tell the difference.

GnP ;)

ScottC4746
08-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Actually the wind noise is compressed air being blown sideways through X Atencio's mouth, and him changing the resonance of his mouth in much the same way one whistles to change the pitch.

What?:confused::confused::confused:

wabby1
08-02-2011, 07:39 AM
I love those subtle touches that Disney puts in. It reminds me of the low, building music that's now on Pirates after you go down the initial drop.

leota's necklace
08-02-2011, 11:14 AM
What?:confused::confused::confused:

It's like whistling with something else providing the airflow, if that helps you picture it.

TowerofTerror
08-03-2011, 08:16 PM
NOPE i have not but next time I make sure to listen for it.