PDA

View Full Version : lamplighter?

leota's necklace
07-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Am I crazy?

I was reading old accounts of the Carnation Ice Cream Parlor, and came across a reference to a lamplighter who would light the gas lamps on Main Street at twilight. I seem to remember watching this happening fairly recently (ok, within the last ten years, maybe?) and being completely charmed by it, but MORE recently I've noticed that the gaslamps were lit in the middle of the day, and possibly just stayed lit.

Is that the case, and if so, when did the lamplighter lose his job?

rickosuave1987
07-11-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't ever remember seeing someone light the lamps... And as far as I can remember the lamps have been lit all day and night when I've been in the park. Of course I have only been going "regularly" for the past 3 years...

Werner
07-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Leota's Necklace -- wow, I didn't realize the lamplighter was doing his/her thing as recently as 10 years (or so) ago. I thought that position was axed way back in the
70s. I've been going to DL for 40 years but never got to see the lamplighter. It must be quite charming indeed. I wish I could have seen it.

I think I have also noticed the lamps being on in the middle of the day. What's the deal with that?

rickosuave1987
07-11-2011, 10:22 PM
I think I have also noticed the lamps being on in the middle of the day. What's the deal with that?

If they never turn off, no need to have someone light them at night...

Werner
07-11-2011, 10:30 PM
If they never turn off, no need to have someone light them at night...

Seems weird though that they'd want to waste money burning gas when it's not needed. An actual lamplighter coming out to do the lighting would be such a cool "little thing" they could bring back that would add so much.

Bytebear
07-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I wonder if you are remembering them doing tiki lights. I don't recall if they did them at Disneyland, but it's a tradition in Hawaii, and I wouldn't be surprised if Disney did it in Adventure Land.

leota's necklace
07-12-2011, 11:30 AM
No, BB, this was definitely on Main Street; I thought it was a cool Victorian throwback, which I wouldn't have thought when watching tiki lights. :)

I am just trying to remember when I saw it. I started doing really regular solo trips back in 2000/01, I think, but the trip before that would have been 1995. I am pretty sure I saw it during one of my solo jaunts, sitting enjoying a soda on Main Street.