PDA

View Full Version : No more cupcakes in the park?

rickosuave1987
07-07-2011, 02:05 PM
This may seem strange, but my girlfriend and I have a sort of tradition of splitting a cupcake at DLR. We did this on our first date (which was at Disneyland of course :cool:)

Anyway, after reading THIS (http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/05/30/challenge-the-disney-food-blog-wdw-cupcake-crawl/) article in the Disney Food Blog, we decided we would make our own "crawl" at DLR and have some fun...

So we went to the park last Friday night and much to our dismay... We could not find a single cupcake in the place. We checked every store where we had seen them or bought before, and didn't find a single one...

Anyone know what happened to them?? Since most places were pretty busy, we didn't ask any CM's if they knew what was up, but will next time...

olegc
07-07-2011, 03:42 PM
hmm - that is odd - because there have been several reports over the last couple of months about cupcakes (cstephens always has some food review of new stuff that comes out). I wonder if it was just a quirk - or is it that they are holding off for now, to bring some out later. Cupcakes have been a staple for them because they put logos on the frosting and make it more "disney-fied".

cstephens
07-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I've noticed cupcake weirdness as well. A couple months ago, all the cupcakes were gone in both parks and in Downtown Disney, except for the dessert cupcakes at Village Haus and Hungry Bear. I asked a CM at the place right by Coke Corner about it, and I got a sort of non-committal remark, so I don't know if she didn't know or couldn't say. A couple weeks later, the cupcakes were back. And then this past weekend, I noticed that cupcakes were gone again. The CM I spoke to this time did say they were coming back, though she didn't say when. She also confirmed that the mini-cupcake sampler I loved is gone for good. They only have regular cupcakes and special jumbo cupcakes.

SigalTchelet
07-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I've noticed cupcake weirdness as well. A couple months ago, all the cupcakes were gone in both parks and in Downtown Disney, except for the dessert cupcakes at Village Haus and Hungry Bear. I asked a CM at the place right by Coke Corner about it, and I got a sort of non-committal remark, so I don't know if she didn't know or couldn't say. A couple weeks later, the cupcakes were back. And then this past weekend, I noticed that cupcakes were gone again. The CM I spoke to this time did say they were coming back, though she didn't say when. She also confirmed that the mini-cupcake sampler I loved is gone for good. They only have regular cupcakes and special jumbo cupcakes.

We saw a Cupcake shop in Downtown Disney on our way to the Disney Hotel back in May.

cstephens
07-07-2011, 07:28 PM
We saw a Cupcake shop in Downtown Disney on our way to the Disney Hotel back in May.

Yeah, that's an outside vendor. I meant Disney cupcakes, since Marceline's in DTD usually carries them too.

rickosuave1987
07-08-2011, 07:25 AM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one... Hopefully they are back by next Wednesday when I go again with my family.

Yeah, that's an outside vendor. I meant Disney cupcakes, since Marceline's in DTD usually carries them too.

We did check Marceline's also. The cupcakes at the stand outside are similar to the Disney ones, but not as big or tasty IMO. And they put gumballs on top which are not good at all...

SigalTchelet
07-08-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one... Hopefully they are back by next Wednesday when I go again with my family.

We did check Marceline's also. The cupcakes at the stand outside are similar to the Disney ones, but not as big or tasty IMO. And they put gumballs on top which are not good at all...

I'm glad we did not stop there.

Geneva
07-13-2011, 08:01 AM
When we were there in early June they were selling them in the shop next to Splash Mountain. Did you check there?

bombardon3
07-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Maybe it was too hot and they couldn't transport them from place to place without them melting?

cstephens
08-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Just an fyi for anyone who's interested - we were at Disneyland on Saturday, and they had cupcakes back in the place by Coke Corner. And it was frickin' hot on Saturday, so transporting the baked goods did not seem to be an issue. I commented to the CM about the appearance and re-appearance of cupcakes being odd, which she agreed with, but she didn't elaborate further.

CindyR
08-29-2011, 12:04 PM
I've noticed the randomness with the cupcakes as well. The bakery on main street almost always has cupcakes though. I used to buy them at the store in Critter Country, but one day then didn't have any. Then last time we went there I noticed they had some but only one tray. They used to have both small and large ones, usually each in 2 flavors and sometimes the mini sampler tray.

I'm hoping it's not a permanent thing though because I love their holiday cupcakes and would hate to have those not return.

rickosuave1987
08-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the update. I haven't been to the park in a while, and the last few times we didn't even look for the cupcakes.

mousecanuck
08-30-2011, 06:19 PM
I wonder if they realize they're messing with people's traditions - that's no good! I'd be so bummed... Hope it's all sorted out soon for those of you who do count on things. I'm not a huge cupcake fan but I have to say someone on here (maybe a couple of people) recommended the chocolate peanut-butter cupcake at Starring Roles in WDW and I LOVED it - twice! That's like a day's worth (or more) of calories for one snack, pretty bad but oh-so-good!!!!!

jazzysmom
08-31-2011, 04:16 PM
My dd had one in DCA on Sunday.

Disneyland1955
08-31-2011, 06:24 PM
omg that is so funny that is mine and my girlfriends tradition as well and sadly last week when we were at the resort we were sadly informed that Disneyland has switched bakeries?!?!?!(I thought they made their own?) No more chocolate cupcakes and teh new ones are not very good at all very sad really :crying:

cheshirecatgirl
09-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I had a chocolate cupcake last Sunday, from the Main St shop, and it tasted the same as always.

ScottC4746
09-06-2011, 08:10 PM
This may seem strange, but my girlfriend and I have a sort of tradition of splitting a cupcake at DLR. We did this on our first date (which was at Disneyland of course :cool:)

Anyway, after reading THIS (http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/05/30/challenge-the-disney-food-blog-wdw-cupcake-crawl/) article in the Disney Food Blog, we decided we would make our own "crawl" at DLR and have some fun...

So we went to the park last Friday night and much to our dismay... We could not find a single cupcake in the place. We checked every store where we had seen them or bought before, and didn't find a single one...

Anyone know what happened to them?? Since most places were pretty busy, we didn't ask any CM's if they knew what was up, but will next time...

Interesting. We ate lunch at Hungry Bear on Saturday 3 Sept and had a wonderful Bumble Bee Lemon Cupcake. It was pricy at $5.99 but so worth it.

disneyobsessed
09-07-2011, 06:41 AM
Ouch. Please tell me the Hungry Bear lemon cupcake has not gone up to $5.99. It was $4.99 when it debuted and still that price last month when we bought one. There is also a black forest cupcake available at Village Haus. It too was $4.99. I liked the lemon cupcake better, and I don't even usually like lemon all that much. I thought both these cupcakes though were tastier than the ones offered at the candy shops in the sampler 6-pack that is no more.

ShelbyH
09-07-2011, 08:57 AM

That one (outside vendor) closed recently as well. I'm wondering if cupcakes just aren't selling well inside the park and they're trying some tests to see if people really are willing to buy them. I can't imagine that they'd be gone for good--I mean, if they're not selling, why not just make fewer? The holiday ones are always so cute.

Malcon10t
09-07-2011, 10:47 AM
This weekend I saw cupcakes at Pooh Corner, Blue Ribbon Bakery, and the candy store. I didn't check at DCA as we only went there once, and it was such a hassle, we didn't head back in.