PDA

View Full Version : Executive Shuffle and Effect on DVC

Toocherie
07-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Mark Goldhaber wrote an article yesterday about a re-organization at Disney's top ranks. You can find it here:
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/entry.php?863-Parks-amp-Resorts-Chairman-Tom-Staggs-shuffles-the-executive-deck-what-does-it-mean

What caught my eye, is that now Jim Lewis reports directly to a person who is in charge of expanding Disney into new markets, rather than to the person in charge of the parks--that to me signals that DVC is expecting to expand into additional non-park markets other than Aulani and that all those surveys we took a year or so back about where we would like a DVC weren't for naught.

Anyone disagree or have additional insight?

GusMan
07-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Not going to disagree with you on that but I guess I would say that would depend if non-park DVC resorts such as Vero and HHI are considered to be as popular as the park DVC resorts. Yes, I am excluding Aulani only because HI is a tourist hot-spot already and in some ways, it made sense to augment what was available on the west coast. You just dont hear much about Vero and HHI. (Even though I would love to visit both locations some day.)

Im just wondering what the draw would be to build more in the US unless it is a real popular area that has a strong touristy offering that isnt always conditional on the season / time of year. Now, building outside the US, especially at international Disney parks may be something to consider, but I am sure "owning" internationally may hold a few caveats.

Toocherie
07-07-2011, 04:07 PM
I would also like to go to Vero and HHI someday, but always seem to want to use my precious vacation/DVC time for WDW! I do recall from reading posts from people on various boards that at certain times of the year (summer) those resorts--or at least certain categories within those resorts--can be hard to get. Like you say, Hawaii is a hot-spot, so I would think if DVC concentrated on places which are a hot-spot all year long perhaps they could make it a success even without the allure of a park nearby.

Now if we could just get them to build a second DVC at Disneyland . . . . .

DisneyFunFamily4
07-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Now if we could just get them to build a second DVC at Disneyland . . . . .Now that's what I'm talking about!

Mark Goldhaber
07-07-2011, 05:56 PM
A quick, off-the-top-of-my-head guess: You'll see some new DVC resorts at DCL home ports around the globe, maybe at foreign Disney resorts, and possibly at other popular tourist spots, perhaps near Adventures By Disney tour stops. The name of the game here is synergy. If you can have someone stay at a DVC resort before and/or after an ABD or DCL vacation, or during a foreign park vacation, you get more money without having to enlarge your target market.

Toocherie
07-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Mark -- do you think these changes will have any effect on Jim Lewis' tenure or does he just continue as he has been but with a different direct reporting person?

Mark Goldhaber
07-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Jim's job should stay the same, but with Karl as his boss instead of Meg. Whether he leaves or not will be his choice. I think that he's doing a fine job, and I like his management style. I don't think that Karl is going to try to push him out. We'll have to wait and see, though.

Mermaid
07-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Now if we could just get them to build a second DVC at Disneyland . . . . .

Yes! My husband and I talk a lot about this- maybe where the Toy Story lot is?

FoodLover
08-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Jim's job should stay the same, but with Karl as his boss instead of Meg. Whether he leaves or not will be his choice. I think that he's doing a fine job, and I like his management style. I don't think that Karl is going to try to push him out. We'll have to wait and see, though.

In light of the fact that Jim Lewis was fired on Friday afternoon, might need to re-think this one. :)

fairestoneofall
08-14-2011, 09:47 AM
I would also like to see another DLR DVC resort.

Hannahbelle
08-16-2011, 04:45 PM
I would also like to see another DLR DVC resort.

Seriously!! I second or third that comment.

GusMan
08-17-2011, 07:28 AM
I dont think that a new DVC president is going to be able to change the expansion path as it stands, but I see adding DVC rooms at DLR happening. Maybe even taking some rooms at current resorts and revamping them for such a purpose, much like what they did to AKL.

I would like to see more short-term changes such as either bringing back some past perks or even bringing them back with some deep discounts. (ie: 1/2 price Valet Parking as a small example.) I would also like to see DVC revamp their price scheme for add-ons so that if you want to add on points to "sold out" resorts, you can do so with competitive pricing with the aftermarket and not have to pay triple-digit price points for the same thing.

But at the same time, I dont see these or other things happening just because we are getting a new president. They would have to really give the past few years a good review before they see where they can make improvements.