PDA

View Full Version : Screamscape.com report on the Submarine Voyage

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
06-01-2003, 11:42 PM
http://www.screamscape.com/html/disneyland_resort.html

The latest buzz about the Disneyland Submarine Voyage is not good it seems. The reports claim that after researching just what it would take to reopen the ride, it would simply be too costly to make it happen quickly. This source went on to say that Disney was willing to drop about $5 million to to get the ride up and running again quickly but after a complete inspection, the ride would take closer to $35 million to revive, and for that much they could have a completely new ride somewhere. Sadly, it seems that we will never see the return of the subs, at least not in their current form. Perhaps they will do something with with it at some point in the future.

Pat-n-Eil
06-02-2003, 07:20 AM
That's a shame.. I recall one of the first tag lines my family and I hooked onto after our first visit to Disneyland all together in 1996 was the Sub Captain (or maybe it was a recorded spiel) where the voice would say "All Aboard please, Allllll Aboard"..

I remember the ride being much more impressive when I was 6 than when I was 32, but my kids still remember it fondly.

$35 Million would seem to be a goodly sum and worthy of creating an all new water attraction there. I'm surprised it would take more than $5 Million to refurbish what they have.. but then again, I'm no imagineer and certainly no expert on attraction costs.

unoriginal
06-02-2003, 08:56 AM
That's really sad to hear. I was hoping for something else to do in Tomorrowland. If it looks like they would go ahead (not that it will at that price) I would hope they revamp the ride completely and not just open it as it was. A bunch of new effects and scenery should be demanded for $35 mil. But I doubt that budget would get the green light.

jrad32
06-02-2003, 09:51 AM
It sure is shaping up to be a spectacular 50th anniversary in TL. Maybe they can just drive a bull dozer through all the vacant attractions and market it as some kind of dark Mad Max future where everything is destroyed.

raider
06-02-2003, 09:54 AM
Yes, assuming this report is accurate...it would be a shame. I was hopeful, given the success of "Nemo" at the Box Office and the tie-in/synergy oportunities the film offered to this attraction, that DL would actually do something for this ride!

jrad32
06-02-2003, 10:03 AM
Maybe they could imagineer an all new Nemo ride there, although that doesn't seem to fit into the Tommorowland theme.

raider
06-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by jrad32
Maybe they could imagineer an all new Nemo ride there, although that doesn't seem to fit into the Tommorowland theme. Good point! I just realized that right after I sent the reply (don't you hate when that happens!?)...but at the risk of taking this thread in a whole new direction and given the fact that this was covered not to long ago...perhaps the Characters of Nemo could be the ones who give an underwater tour of "liquid space" and try to tie in the TL theme that way? ...(I know, Im reaching here! :) But in keeping with the thread, I too hope they come up with the funding to do SOMETHING with this attraction...

Tref
06-02-2003, 10:26 AM
Let's put a little perspective on this $35 million. Does anybody know what it costs to produce one of those crappy sequels to their animated classics or, say, a film like, The Country Bears? Surely, it is close to the submarine price tag. Certainly, we all would agree that the return of the Sub ride is more valuable a commodity then anything Disney has released in the last ten years (with the possible exception of anything done by Pixar)

Can anybody back this up with some figures?

Pat-n-Eil
06-02-2003, 10:52 AM
Tref, I see where you're coming from.. but a movie is much more clearly cut & dried when it comes to how much it took to make and how much income it produces at the box office. Once you consider the other marketing, the home video, the pay per view revenues, etc.. A movie that is just okay at the box office can actually be quite a cash cow. Quite a few "sleepers" have made it big once they hit the video store shelves.

An attraction in Tomorrowland is not likely to increase the revenues of the park in a direct manner. Sure, they may put a themed store there and they can tally revenues from that store, but how much money does an attraction make?

I guess the better questions are either:
1. How many more people will buy tickets to Disneyland if that attraction is built?

-or-

2. How many people will NOT buy tickets to Disneyland if that attraction is NOT built?

Bill Catherall
06-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Here's one comparison:

Return to Neverland

Budget: $20,000,000
Opened Feb 17, 2002 with a weekend gross of $15,623,464.
Grossed $48,423,368 by June 9 in the USA.
(Data taken from the IMDB.com (http://us.imdb.com/Business?0280030))

Pat&Eil has a good point. The return on investment for an attraction is different than a movie. But the profits from these sequel/remake disasters can more than pay for the subs and just might make up for them. In my eyes at least.

DJ_MENTOS
06-02-2003, 11:47 AM
What if the Subs were made to be part of Fantasyland? After all, Matterhorn is right next to it. If the subs were part of Fantasyland, then the whole Finding Nemo idea could surface.

jrad32
06-02-2003, 12:13 PM
I too thought of the fantasyland idea, but the problem I have with this is that the subs clearly load in Tomorrowland right under the monorail station. I just don't think it would work thematically.

It would be nice to have a new attraction there, like Tokyo Sea's 20,000 Leagues ride. I don't know what kind of space that would require but, maybe they could reclaim the Motorboat lagoon and build a show building using that area and the cave area of the subs. Then they could use the lagoon as the rides "weenie." With a nautalis sitting in it.

Of course the new ride building would have to be well camoflauged with large foliage, or by some other method, so as not to ruin the aesthetics around the Matterhorn.

mousketeer
06-02-2003, 01:21 PM
What about Aquatopia? Cheap and popular at DisneySea.

Rallymonkey23
06-02-2003, 01:39 PM
I still say, rip out some of the monorail and build Journey To The Center Of The Earth. That fits pretty well with Tommorrowland, don't it? :D

Though, it might stand out a little! :fez: :geek:

Tref
06-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
Here's one comparison:

Return to Neverland

Budget: $20,000,000
Opened Feb 17, 2002 with a weekend gross of $15,623,464.
Grossed $48,423,368 by June 9 in the USA.
(Data taken from the IMDB.com (http://us.imdb.com/Business?0280030))

Pat&Eil has a good point. The return on investment for an attraction is different than a movie. But the profits from these sequel/remake disasters can more than pay for the subs and just might make up for them. In my eyes at least.

It is hard for me to get any perspective on this issue. What IS a new ride worth to the park? This seems like a job for Kevin Yee. Certainly a re-done, polished up, Sub ride could bring in more then what Return to Neverland produced --- couldn't it?

What -- if any -- impact has the New Pooh ride had on DL? More then 35 million worth?

RStar
06-02-2003, 02:39 PM
They seem to be focusing on ride capacity of the park. I think it is possible to formulate a ride capacity/revinue formula for the day, week, and month. But this relates to value, not cost.

California Aggie
06-02-2003, 04:23 PM
If Disney built "Many Adventures of Pooh" to capitalize on the success of Pooh merchandise, than certainly they could re-open the Submarine Voyage to do the same thing.... just think of how many people would buy "Return of the Submarine" shirts and hats and even Submarine plush. I think a lot of people would, especially if tied into 50th Anniversary Nostalgia.

After I watched Finding Nemo (excellent, by the way) I thought think, boy this moive would be a beautiful ride. If they could find a way to update Subs with this theme (with the ride somehow accessed from Fantasyland?) it would be spectacular. But I don't think it will happen. Still if they said they needed a blockbuster movie to reopen now they have one, even if they were planning on Atlantis. Nemo is better though, they could sell so much Nemo plush. ;-)

zapppop
06-02-2003, 04:48 PM
who is the source that gave this information to Screamscape.com ?

jrsharp21
06-02-2003, 05:16 PM
Sorry but this is off topic. Just wanted to say hi to Pat & Eil. It is good to see a fellow Roseville person on here. I sent you a Personal Message.

Jeff
sharp_jeff@yahoo.com

mousketeer
06-02-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
who is the source that gave this information to Screamscape.com ?

Do you expect Screamscape, the king of shaky promises and bizarre rumors, would actually cite a sorce?;) I doubt they even have a source!

MonorailMan
06-02-2003, 09:09 PM
I'm waiting for the offical word from Al. Then I can start crying. :crying:

unoriginal
06-02-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
I'm waiting for the offical word from Al. Then I can start crying. :crying:

What happened to Al? He hasn't had an update in a few weeks now. Or is he burned out from the two a week he had going for a while? :)

California Aggie
06-02-2003, 09:21 PM
I think he puts them out only when he has a certain amount of information. It could be nothing much has been confirmed by his sources lately.

Laffite
06-02-2003, 10:10 PM
$35million???? :rofl:

warm regards,
preston.

9oldmen
06-02-2003, 10:18 PM
I've said this before, but it almost seems like Tommorowland could become "Pixarland". Finding Nemo goes into the sub lagoon, Buzz goes into the old Circle Vision venue, Autopia could easily be themed to 2005's "Cars", and I'm sure that either Innoventions or HISTA could be re-themed to "The Incredibles". It won't happen, but it's an idea.