PDA

View Full Version : ::roar:: [Getting hired for an inappropriate attraction]

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hawkeye Jenny
06-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Okay, I told the TDA folks that I'm permanently on a preventive medication that states 'no prolongued exposure to sunlight' and 'no prolongued strenuous activity' on the bottle. By doc's orders I need to be on a well shaded or indoor attraction that doesn't require continuous muscle work. When I filled out the hire paperwork I showed them the signed prescription paper (with the warnings on it) and the bottle. They said it was enough and they didn't need a doctor's note; they said that it wasn't a problem as I had a 98 percent likelyhood of being placed on either Splash, mansion, or pirates. The medication info was put on my health chart and filed away. I had my final bit of orientation today..

.....they put me on the canoes.

swtkissez
06-01-2003, 05:36 PM
They did say 98%, so i guess you got the 2%..hehe. just joking!

Well, i would say call the number listed on your on the job training sheet and explain your situation. I'm sure they will work with you to change it. I have had many friends change departments before they even train on the job. So i'm sure it will all work out. Good Luck! :)

tabacco
06-01-2003, 07:51 PM
You should probably get a doctor's note, just as backup, before you call them.

Polar33
06-01-2003, 09:06 PM
Wow...those folks who place new CMs sure do have a way of finding the most ironic situation possible. You wind up working only attraction that has nothing but prolonged exposure to sunlight and prolonged strenuous activity...that's classic. They send ODV dozens of people who cannot do basic math, they have even sent us people who don't speak a word of English in the past. They really need to start double checking things over there.

It shouldn't be a much of a problem being moved from canoes though. They can't require you to work performing a task that your doctor has advised against. But it might be a good idea to keep that note handy just in case.

Hawkeye Jenny
06-01-2003, 09:20 PM
::rolls up her sleeves:: oh yes, the fellow responsible will have a very irate lil hawkeye on his hands come tomorrow...

Morrigoon
06-01-2003, 11:52 PM
Call in sick for your training, I hear that works.

But yeah, you have a good reason, there should be a way to get that fixed the official way.

Maybe they could put you on like, Lincoln? Indy is good too- even the outdoor spots are mostly shady, and people are pretty good about bumping around, about 50% of the time they will if you want them to.

Ooh ooh! Jungle Cruise is pretty shaded too! I'll be very jealous if you can get that!

cstephens
06-02-2003, 10:14 AM
I've always wondered how they decide where to put a particular employee. When I worked there ages ago, I just put in a generic application, no request for a particular area. They gave me - ticket seller at the Main Gate, handling fairly large amounts of money. I happen to have that aptitude and could make change and all that fairly easily (this was when everything had to be done by hand, although there was a desk calculator available for use), but they never asked me if I could do it. What if they'd put someone there who was horrible at math? The line would run terribly slowly and there's a chance the person could have made a lot of mistakes and come up really short when cashing out.

Hawkeye Jenny
06-02-2003, 10:45 AM
The guy I need to talk to isn't back until tomorrow. The orientation leads said it shouldn't be a problem to switch me if I have a doctor's note, so we'll see. They also said I'll stay in the westside area 'cause moving me to a new area would take longer (more paperwork!) so I'll end up on pirates, mansion, or splash. What about Pooh? Is that ride shaded/mostly indoors? Haven't seen it yet.

Hawkeye Jenny
06-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Another thing about the canoes..I'm barely 5'2 and 120 pounds, a tiny thing. I thought only athletic, stronger sorts were given canoes...I certainly would stand out among the taller sinewy type people that appear to work there! Although after a summer working the canoes I wouldn't be so small-framed and soft anymore, lol! I'd be able to hold my own in any typical arm-wrestling match. :p

Grandbreaker
06-02-2003, 11:07 AM
Go get a note from your doc then go over to cast health tell them and then show the note to your manager not a lead and go up stairs talk to your area shceduler.

Bill Catherall
06-02-2003, 11:08 AM
I've noticed that the CM in the front of the canoe doesn't really do anything but direct the passengers. It's the CM in the back that does all the work. But it is a lot of time out in the sun anyway.

rexfarms
06-02-2003, 02:26 PM
I'm a doctor in training, does that count for anything? Here is my note: Hawkeye Jenny can work any attraction she would like.
Dr. Nicholas MD(in training) the resident MousePad doc. ;) :p

tabacco
06-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
I've always wondered how they decide where to put a particular employee. When I worked there ages ago, I just put in a generic application, no request for a particular area. They gave me - ticket seller at the Main Gate, handling fairly large amounts of money. I happen to have that aptitude and could make change and all that fairly easily (this was when everything had to be done by hand, although there was a desk calculator available for use), but they never asked me if I could do it. What if they'd put someone there who was horrible at math? The line would run terribly slowly and there's a chance the person could have made a lot of mistakes and come up really short when cashing out.

Actually, change is still done by hand. The computers handle totalling, but we're on our own for change. We're not even supposed to use a calculator. Then again, the cash handling course made it so simple that I'm sure even the worst math person on earth could do it.

PhilMP
06-02-2003, 05:50 PM
I don't know...some people in ODV don't know how to add 5 dollars plus 2.75.

Of course, most of our new hires aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer anyways.

Phew, I'm glad I'm not there for the summer.

Phil

newhdplayer
06-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
I've noticed that the CM in the front of the canoe doesn't really do anything but direct the passengers. It's the CM in the back that does all the work. But it is a lot of time out in the sun anyway.

I've noticed the same thing; however, I've seen the CM's rotate positions on what seems to be every trip...ie front to back to offload to load to front to back to offload to load to front to back to offload to load....with an occasional break thrown in...and someone has to get water (in cups) for all.

tabacco
06-02-2003, 09:50 PM
The front position also helps paddle around river stage.

TruCinderella
06-03-2003, 07:18 AM
I have almost the same restrictions(no heavy lifting, and no repeated bending) but for this they required a docs note. They really worked around my limitations. I had a guy who called around looking for a place to put me in attractions. And they ended up finding me a suitable place with no hassle.
On that note, someone said they werent asked where they wanted to be placed and if they could handle it? I guess that goes differently with each new hire- when they hired me they asked where I would like to work(down to what ride I would like to work on) and specifically if i could do the job
but with my brother they didnt ask they just told

cujosr
06-04-2003, 12:01 AM
They ask, then they tell. I asked for DL attractions, I got DCA foods.

swtkissez
06-04-2003, 12:08 AM
What dept. didja work for in DCA foods Cujo??

Veritech-1s
06-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Typicall all knowing disneyland logic.......... disney logic.... the oxymoron to end all oxymorons, its worse than military intelligence.

cujosr
06-04-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by swtkissez
What dept. didja work for in DCA foods Cujo??
Main entrance - hollywood. in all it's different versions up to Jan

cujosr
06-04-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Veritech-1s
Typicall all knowing disneyland logic.......... disney logic.... the oxymoron to end all oxymorons, its worse than military intelligence. Well many of the TDA management are Former Miltary. Does that explain some?

HBTiggerFan
06-04-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Veritech-1s
Typicall all knowing disneyland logic.......... disney logic.... the oxymoron to end all oxymorons, its worse than military intelligence.

Originally posted by cujosr
Well many of the TDA management are Former Miltary. Does that explain some?

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes! It does :rolleyes:

cstephens
06-04-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by cujosr
I asked for DL attractions, I got DCA foods.

Well, as I understand it, you can request what you want, but there's absolutely no guarantee that you'll get it. I expect many if not most applicants want DL attractions because that's the fun stuff. How many people actually request being a busboy, but that's a job that needs to be filled as well.

Having a physical condition that requires certain accommodations, though, is another thing.

Hawkeye Jenny
06-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Well, the right people have been notified and the doctor's note has been faxed to the cast health department. As it stands my training is on hold. In the note the doc wrote that I can't be in direct sunlight for more than an hour at a time (and after one hour of sun I have to spend one equal hour indoors/in thick shade.) I didn't think it was that restricted. :eek: I hope this doesn't get the job offer withdrawn! :crying: