PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Grad Nite 2012 and 2013

MacBaby
06-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Hi All:
After weeks of waiting (and rumors), Disney finally released the details for Grad Nite 2012 and 2013 (and forward):
2012: Seniors will receive a Park Hopper ticket good for admission anytime during the Grad Nite Day, two FastPass tickets and an "exclusive" Disneyland Park party from general admission closing (tbd) to 3 am.

2013 (and forward): Grad Nite moves to Disney California Adventure.

2012 dates are: May 11, 17, 18, 24, 25 and 31; June 1, 7, 8 and 14

Thought you might want to know if you are planning a trip in Spring 2012!

BlkPearlCptn
06-23-2011, 08:13 AM
They're moving it to DCA? Glad i had my Grad Nite at Disneyland. Granted, it was in '73, but it is still one of my cherished memories.

currence
06-23-2011, 08:22 AM
I saw that yesterday and couldn't help but wonder what Disney is up to. It seems that they just killed off Grad Nite at WDW after lackluster participation, in part due to moving it to a lesser theme park. I will concede that Cars Land will make DCA a big draw in 2013 but I agree that there is still something magical about the original park. Until DCA is better (not equal, not fun but different) than Disneyland, I don't think it should move. Even then, I would prefer to open it to more students (perhaps on fewer days) and give the kids a parkhopping overnight option.

Interesting that the graduating students are also getting extra fastpasses. First the hotel guests and now these people. Is monetizing fastpasses in Disney's future

MacBaby
06-23-2011, 08:55 AM
As a Grad Nite coordinator for 20+ years I am so not thrilled by the 2012 option. I have so many questions and concerns: security, price, security, busses, security, chaperone perks, security, "Blast Off" party, security. I don't think my seniors will have an issue of not being in Disneyland park as long as they get the "experience" of Grad Nite (most only ride one or two rides as it is).

CPONavyWife
06-23-2011, 09:58 AM
I have to strongly disagree, I think the kids will definitely miss not being in "Disneyland" DCA just does not offer the same things. My daughter just graduated this year and they were able to go on many rides, however the areas for dancing were way too crowded and they did not like the behavior they witnessed, so they opted for more rides. If they were only in DCA we know the rides would be less and more crowded.

Disney way want to re-think this one in the future.

prince
06-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi All:
After weeks of waiting (and rumors), Disney finally released the details for Grad Nite 2012 and 2013 (and forward):
2012: Seniors will receive a Park Hopper ticket good for admission anytime during the Grad Nite Day, two FastPass tickets and an "exclusive" Disneyland Park party from general admission closing (tbd) to 3 am.

2013 (and forward): Grad Nite moves to Disney California Adventure.

2012 dates are: May 11, 17, 18, 24, 25 and 31; June 1, 7, 8 and 14

Thought you might want to know if you are planning a trip in Spring 2012!

Thanks so much for that information. We are planning my daughters 8th grade graduation trip/party there next year and we were going to go in may. Thanks for the dates. I put them in my calendar so we can plan around it.

Teddi
06-23-2011, 05:53 PM
I personally think the 2012 thing sounds great (the logistics sound challenging but still better). And... given that they are adding the FULL DAY to the 2013 version, including the perks of front of the line passes for Disneyland for the DAY and then PLUS grad night, I think that too is great. I did grad night in '95 and what they have offered today sounds ALOT better than we what had. Don't get me wrong, I had fun, but the security was like the gestapo...(and I am all for tight security) and there were alot of things not opened. Both the 2012 versions and 2013 versions sound MUCH more appealing. Hmm. Wish I could do it again!

The way I see it, Disneyland isn't NOT going to be part of it. In fact, they get nice disney PERKS, the regular disney guests don't get their park closed as early, AND they get to party all night (even if it is at DCA). Special WOC show(s), fun night time of Hollywood Backlot.... plus Carsland, etc..I don't at all see this as the potential death of Grad Night.

cherice95403
06-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Can someone tell me a little more about the grad night crowds-are the parks open to others and would we even want to be there? Mt family is planning a week long trip that will put us there on 6/1,6/7, and 6/8. I am wondering if we should reschedule.

houseofmouse
06-25-2011, 02:31 PM
In the past I would have said Grad nite is a less crowded day in the park as most locals stay away, due to early closing.
Now that the grads are going to get hopper tickets and they can be there all day. I would stay away! I would assume it would be much more crowded those days.

Tan Da Man
06-25-2011, 03:24 PM
I too think kids will be dissapointed that its not in Disneyland, but at the same time I think DCA will be a good spot for this. There is alot more to offer over there now than previously, and most of the kids just run around and dance and do stupid stuff anyway. At least theyre keeping it.

Grandpa Louie
06-25-2011, 05:02 PM
After damn near a half century of going to the Park, the worst time hands down was at Grad Nite. Disneyland should just eliminate it all together and give the high school seniors (notice I didn't use the word "graduates") some sort of discount voucher like they do at Disneyworld.

Malcon10t
06-25-2011, 05:57 PM
After damn near a half century of going to the Park, the worst time hands down was at Grad Nite.
The only Grad Nite I have been to was my own back in 77. I've gone on the days of a Grad Nite the last couple years. Since the high school students are held out of the park until after it is closed, I have never had an issue in the park. Last year, I happen to cross the esplanade late one night (we had dinner in DTD after the park closed) while security was bringing the students into the park. The kids seemed very excited to be there, but there were no issues.

Not sure how you had a "worst time" during the regular park hours with the students when there are so many rules in place so they never interact with day guests. They are required to arrive by bus, they are held in a security area until screened, they are brought to a separate area to wait for security, and they are then walked by security into the park approx 2 hours AFTER the park closes. They then do the reverse walk at 4-5am and head home.

This year, we arrived in Anaheim on a Grad Nite night and were following all the buses down Harbor as they headed to the Toy Story lot (about 830pm.) Never heard a peep out of them after that.

Now, the end of the year field trips usually have a bigger impact on us. You find the local middle schools and high schools bring groups (student body councils, clubs, etc) during the day. Those are more of an impact. They can be found many days of the week.

bumblebeeonarose
06-26-2011, 07:02 PM
We were there on the 16th (last grad night) and that was the least busy of all our days. Passes were blocked out though. The previos days we did see a LOT of school groups. Private, public, charter, middle, elementary. Tons of schools with matching shirts and without. They deffinately crowded things up. I wonder if holding the event at DCA will mean they will keep Disneyland open on Grad nights for regular tourists. My only concern would be the park hopper. I would HOPE that students would not be able to leave DCA and head to Disneyland. I seem to have it in my mind that they are "locked" in until the event ends.

Malcon10t
06-26-2011, 07:07 PM
My only concern would be the park hopper. I think the park hopper would make it worse on the day guests. It would be just one more school group (and an older group) in the park during the off peak time.

olegc
06-27-2011, 07:56 AM
after reading the DL update today with the offered analysis - to me - this is a way Disneyland can save face by offering an event to the community but over time if the number of guests who attend Grad Nite dwindles they will cancel it - and blame it on the public's lack of desire for the event. Happens in the sports world all the time. Change the offer to make it inconvenient or two expensive; don't spend a lot of operating dollars on management and running the event; and then point to the spreadsheet when you cancel it and say it's not us - we're just following the public's lead. It would take 3 years or so - but if there is a large drop off of attendees due to the change in format (and cost, security concerns, etc), then you can point to the change as being the reason and not the lack of desire.