PDA

View Full Version : Peoplemover Cars Spotted Entering Park

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

sourdough
06-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Last Thursday (6/16/11) on my way to the park, I found myself behind a truck towing a flatbed trailer. On the trailer were two new or newly refurbished Peoplemover cars. They were yellow and were adorned with Wedway decals. The driver was heading north on Harbor and turned west on Ball Road before entering the cast member gate.

Judging by the all new shiny mechanicals under the cars, complete with urethane or equivalent rollers, these boys looked destined for testing and not display / promotional use.

Could it be that we are another step closer to a glorious return ?

bennette
06-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Hi Sourdough,

Are you new to MousePlanet? I don't think I've seen a post from you before.

Mouseketeer1955
06-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Last Thursday (6/16/11) on my way to the park, I found myself behind a truck towing a flatbed trailer. On the trailer were two new or newly refurbished Peoplemover cars. They were yellow and were adorned with Wedway decals. The driver was heading north on Harbor and turned west on Ball Road before entering the cast member gate.

Judging by the all new shiny mechanicals under the cars, complete with urethane or equivalent rollers, these boys looked destined for testing and not display / promotional use.

Could it be that we are another step closer to a glorious return ?

Well, if they do put them back, that will be a step in the right direction. Then all they have to do is put the Rockets back up on their rightful perch.

moofeet
06-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Wow how awesome would that be!!! I also wish they'd bring back the SKYWAY.

dban3
06-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Hmmm.... I didn't think that track was 100% in tact. The Peoplemover has been long rumored to be coming back but its certainly not going to happen overnight.

IllusionOfLife
06-19-2011, 08:26 PM
This is certainly interesting, because the new non-transparent screen in the Star Tours queue did not bode well for a return of the PeopleMover.

As much as I'd love to see the PeopleMover return, I fear that installing it at this point in time might stand in the way of a new 2055 caliber Tomorrowland update. I'd just as soon have them wait and integrate a return of the PeopleMover into the new design of the area rather than adding yet another disparate element to a land that already has a very un-unified aesthetic. I'd like to see them do something with the space, but I don't want it to just be a band-aid fix. I want it to be properly integrated with the rest of the land and provide something new and interesting worth seeing.

foolishmortal
06-19-2011, 09:46 PM
how cool was that to see!

MadasaHatter
06-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Did no one read my Trip Report when a CM told us that the PEOPLE MOVER was indeed returning. Now IknowIknowIknowIknowIknowIknow.....I mean I know....that they are not reliable in general but I believed. I believed. And it appears there is indeed proof. Again....I believe.....and again....I am mad....

Rufus T Firefly
06-19-2011, 10:11 PM
And bring back the Carousel of Progress.

Julie Mouse
06-19-2011, 10:30 PM
I had thought that was impossible due to the OSHA and ADA regulations. As much as I would love, love, love to see the PeopleMover return, I just can't believe it until I hear something official (or something from an insider source that I know and trust).

And as long as I'm wishing for the "impossible"...I will wish for both the PeopleMover AND Carousel of Progress, after all it's a great big beautiful tomorrow....just a dream away!!

zombie pirate
06-19-2011, 11:20 PM
I want my parking lot back, Bulldoze DCA Now !!!

The old man
06-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Hi Sourdough,

Are you new to MousePlanet? I don't think I've seen a post from you before.
Click on the user's name, click on "View forum posts."

bennette
06-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Click on the user's name, click on "View forum posts."

Actually, his join date is right there under his avatar and he looks BRAND NEW to me. But he could be a lurker, now joined, or have had a user name change, as compared to some an unknown poster with hard to believe news.

Thus my question.

3Princesses1Prince
06-20-2011, 07:11 AM
I had thought that was impossible due to the OSHA and ADA regulations. As much as I would love, love, love to see the PeopleMover return, I just can't believe it until I hear something official (or something from an insider source that I know and trust).

And as long as I'm wishing for the "impossible"...I will wish for both the PeopleMover AND Carousel of Progress, after all it's a great big beautiful tomorrow....just a dream away!!

Curious, what OSHA and ADA regulations make it "impossible" in Disneyland but okay in WDW?

Mouseketeer1955
06-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Curious, what OSHA and ADA regulations make it "impossible" in Disneyland but okay in WDW?

Each state has their own. Cal OSHA is far more draconian than Florida apparently is.

oregontraveler
06-20-2011, 07:47 AM
If the Peoplemover had simply shut down and was dormant all this time. They could bring it back in the orginal form under a 'grandfather' clause with OSHA rules. But since they revamped it with the ill-fated Rocket Rods, any new form of the PeopleMover will have to adhere to new safety standards. Thus, the vehicles should be more enclosed to prevent anyone trying to get out while in motion (which happened alot in the old days) as well as reaching out to touch the walls.

I have ridden the WDW version in '09. I'm not sure if this is the original layout or not. Regardless, the vehicles & track are a different design.

Bytebear
06-20-2011, 08:01 AM
There's also the safety rails that need to be in place for when CMs walk the track, and when an evacuation takes place. That's the biggest reason why the skyway will never return. Bringing out a cherry picker to evacuate guests is just too difficult.

dban3
06-20-2011, 08:33 AM
There's also the safety rails that need to be in place for when CMs walk the track, and when an evacuation takes place. That's the biggest reason why the skyway will never return. Bringing out a cherry picker to evacuate guests is just too difficult.

But if the Peoplemover was never intended to come back, why leave in all the track which tends to be a bit of an eyesore. Then again, there's still a Fantasyland Skyway station. If there were Peoplemover ride vehicles seen, maybe it has less do with Disneyland and more to do with the upcoming D23 Expo.

3Princesses1Prince
06-20-2011, 08:56 AM
I honestly don't remember the peoplemover clearly. I was pretty young the last time I rode it. I am excited to go on them in WDW this fall.

IllusionOfLife
06-20-2011, 09:17 AM
But if the Peoplemover was never intended to come back, why leave in all the track which tends to be a bit of an eyesore.

Because it'd be a major demolition project that wouldn't see a lot of obvious benefit. Unlike the MaliBOOMer which was contained in one spot and taken down without a lot of trouble, the PeopleMover weaves in and out of virtually every area of Tomorrowland and so removing the track would be a huge undertaking for no other reason than "well, it's not doing anything, so let's get it out of the way."

candles71
06-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Actually, his join date is right there under his avatar and he looks BRAND NEW to me. But he could be a lurker, now joined, or have had a user name change, as compared to some an unknown poster with hard to believe news.

Thus my question.
I got your intent from your question.

This is certainly interesting, because the new non-transparent screen in the Star Tours queue did not bode well for a return of the PeopleMover.

I had this thought while in the que for Star Tours, as well.

While this news would be hugely awesome, imho, I am not holding my breath.

disneyfn
06-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Could be wrong, but are these the peoplemover cars that were on display in the employee food place, If so, they probably just got a rehab with some new paint and were put back on display in the cafeteria or administration building.

MamaBaer
06-20-2011, 01:15 PM
A few month back, Screamscape came upon the following article, about a track upgrade approval. At that time, there had been activity seen on the tracks near the Star Tours entrance. While that may have been to block off the wall, it caught my attention at the time. There has also been speculation that this was for Thunder Mountain, but since it has reopened without any major changes, this may be referring to a possible People mover return:

http://www.empind.com/news/empire-industries-announces-9-million-contract-for-amusement-park-ride-upgrade

volcomnator999
06-20-2011, 01:16 PM
possible troll is possible

The old man
06-20-2011, 01:23 PM
possible troll is possible
Anyone who uses Walter Houston from The Treasure of Sierra Madre as his avatar can't be all bad.