PDA

View Full Version : AP Renewal Black Hole Still a Problem?

SuzanneSLO
06-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Is the issue disccused in this thread (namely AP renewal cancelling existing AP before its expiration) still happening?

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?128884-PAP-Renewal-quot-Black-Hole-quot/page6&highlight=renewal

We renewed our Premier AP on 6/11 by downgrading to a DAP. Our Premier has a stated expiration date of 6/26 and we plan to go to the Parks on 6/25, which is a block out date for the DAP. Will we be able to use our Premier until 6/26? Thanks - Suzanne

Tinkermommy
06-15-2011, 03:26 PM
There is indeed a black hole still. I renewed our APs online on Saturday. On Monday and Tuesday, when I tried to access my AP account, a red message popped up telling me my request couldn't be processed and giving me a number to call. (It made me enter my pass number after I logged in.) Our new APs arrived on Tuesday (yesterday), so I can now see that our old APs had been deactivated on Monday.

However, I have NO idea how it works when you're downgrading your pass. It seems that since you paid for the benefit of a PAP through June 26, you should have that benefit on 6/25. However, I can tell you that some of what happens at the gates is puzzling -- I'm the one who started the thread that you highlighted. My PAP was paid into the future, the renewal cards were in the mail, and I had a heck of a time persuading the CMs to let us in during the transition.

In that thread, other people noted that they didn't have any problems at the gate in the same circumstances. Therefore, I'd probably try taking the old pass to the gate, letting it boing, then advising that you've just renewed. Worst case, they say no and you have to go to guest services. I wonder what will happen with parking for you?

Teddi
06-15-2011, 04:18 PM
If she paid for the PAP the PAP is good until it is up, period. Definitely take both with you though. The DAP kicks in the day after the PAP expires.

jananafish
06-15-2011, 04:43 PM
not sure if this applies to what you're talking about, but i'll post anyway.

i renewed my pass about 10 days ago, and it wasn't due to expire until 6/28. i'm currently holding 2 PAPs technically; one is good until 6/28/11 and the other 6/28/12. can i just use my new pass, or should i still carry my old one JIC? also, after i had already renewed it, i got an email reminding me that my pass was going to expire and that i should renew ASAP....why would they send me this if they already charged my card for the new PAP?

Tinkermommy
06-15-2011, 07:45 PM
You will need your new pass. The old one is deactivated as soon as they produce the new one. (Log into your AP account and try to enter the old number.) Your new one becomes active immediately, even if it's before the renewal date of the old one.

I'm not sure, however, what happens during that overlap period when you're renewing at a lower level.

AnotherJenny
06-16-2011, 08:04 AM
also, after i had already renewed it, i got an email reminding me that my pass was going to expire and that i should renew ASAP....why would they send me this if they already charged my card for the new PAP?

Disney is apparently organized enough to know your pass is about to expire, which surprises me a little. They do not check individually to see who has already paid, which doesn't surprise me at all.

They could say, "If you have not already done so, please renew." But having worked for large organizations before, I can tell you, of the fraction of people who read the emails, that will confuse more of them than it will keep from worrying.

SuzanneSLO
06-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks. That was what I was afraid of. We will take the old and new passes and see what happens. If Disney refuses to allow us to enter on the old but not expired pass on a blockout day, we have another option because 2 of us are going to Club 33 that day but should not need to use the ticket. Unfortunately, only one of those going to Club 33 also has the AP, but I think we can use the Club 33 ticket for another member of our party. He's taking one for the team and foregoing Club 33 so that the kids can eat at Rainforest Cafe! -- Suzanne

bumblebeeonarose
06-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Your new one becomes active immediately, even if it's before the renewal date of the old one.

I have a question regarding this. My husband and I just purchased APs for the first time. We used them at the park for two days at the end of our trip for entering the park and purchasing. There were NO problems. But when I got home, I tried to put the numbers in the online site and was told that my card was expired. This seemed awfully strange. It had already been about 4 days since we had bought them so I would think it would be in the system already. The way you replied, it sounds like it should be automatic. So why would our new cards say they are expired?

EDIT
Okay, so I tried again and it let me add my number today. But it's now been a week since purchasing.

SuzanneSLO
07-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks. That was what I was afraid of. We will take the old and new passes and see what happens. If Disney refuses to allow us to enter on the old but not expired pass on a blockout day, we have another option because 2 of us are going to Club 33 that day but should not need to use the ticket. Unfortunately, only one of those going to Club 33 also has the AP, but I think we can use the Club 33 ticket for another member of our party. He's taking one for the team and foregoing Club 33 so that the kids can eat at Rainforest Cafe! -- Suzanne

Back from our trip and we had mixed results using our unexpired PAP which we had renewed for a DAP. On Friday, we had no problem using the PAP to enter the Parks, but could not get a fastpass or use it for an AP discount. On Saturday (a DAP block out day), we used the PAP to get in the Parks first thing, but could not get FPs. We had a twenty minute wait at City Hall to get a fastpass card first thing in the morning. On our next Park entry, our PAP was not valid. After I handed the turnstyle CM both the PAP and the DAP and showed him my handstamp and got the deer in the head lamp stare in return as the netry line behind me continued to grow, I gave up and used my Club 33 PH for the rest of the day. My DH, on the other hand, was able convince the CM that they should allow him in on his second entry of the day with his PAP and handstamp.

Funny thing is that we almost never renew our AP. This expereince won't make me anxious to do so in the future. -- Suzanne

familymemories
07-02-2011, 12:40 PM
We are considering letting our passes expire then just getting new ones later. We use our Disney Visa points to pay for them so we can't used the discount for renewing anyways. Between my husband and I with the separate Visa's we should have over $700.00 to put towards them.