PDA

View Full Version : Where will all the magic go?

BrerFox
05-30-2003, 12:23 PM
Ever since I started posting on this site I've been dreaming about trying to become a CM. But I sometimes wonder, where will the magic go?

I don't know who of you went to magic music days last year, but I was marching in the"Award Winning" Elise Allen High School marching band. I couldn't think of a better privalige than to march around the Matterhorn and right down main street.

But they kept us backstage for about an hour and I became very observant of all the things around me. Like the stupid balloon floats and some vehicles from Mr.Toad, Peter Pan, and Californa Scream'n.

We marched around to an enterance on the right side of IASW.
After seeing all of this I thought, "I don't think I could stand to have all my dillusion shatered. Disneyland is my favorite palce to be numb to reality.
But to have that gone..........How do you CMs do it?:(

BrerFox
05-30-2003, 12:29 PM
Here a little something extra to tack on

I went to Disneyland in Sept. of last year and the Matterhorn was down for rehab. I seemed they had spraypainted parts of the mountain close to the track.
I haen't been on it since.

What did they do to it?:confused:

ChipmunkStar
05-30-2003, 12:32 PM
Actually, I think I appreciate the parks now that I know exactly how much effort and work go into putting on the "show" for the day.

Ever since I became a CM, it's weird to realize how sme stuff is pulled off, and to yourself you can think "oh that's so easy!" but then to walk by a group of first timers looking in wonder at that exact same thing, it just kind of puts a grin on your face to see that something so simple can be just so darn magical to somebody else.

It also makes you a lot more aware of your surrounding. When I was in ODV, we had to push those darn carts everywhere (and I do mean Everywhere!). Now, I know this has been something going on for years, but I had never really noticed it in all the times I'd been in he park. But ever since I had started doing it, and even after I never do it again (ever!!!), I am always aware of when a cart is actually coming through, and I try to lend a hand to whomever is pushing through.

ChipmunkStar
05-30-2003, 12:33 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot. You could always think of it this way: There is a much more fulfilling feeling to be the one creating the magic, rather than being the reciever of that magic.

10krbell
05-30-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by ChipmunkStar
Oh yeah, I forgot. You could always think of it this way: There is a much more fulfilling feeling to be the one creating the magic, rather than being the reciever of that magic.

Perfect way to say it! Think about why you want to work at Disneyland? I sure hope its not because its *cool* I know when I went to work there it was because I wanted to be a part of the magic! And now, with my CM days behind me, I appreciate what those CMs do on a daily basis (at least the ones that really create the magic) Quite honestly, I feel that if you can't continue to create the magic...and appreciate what you are doing for millions...you don't need to work there! Its very obvious when CMs no longer appreciate ot believe the magic themselves!

Bill Catherall
05-30-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by BrerFox
But I sometimes wonder, where will the magic go? You become the magician. Some CMs get it, some don't. I see that ChipmunkStar gets it.

Niwel
05-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Working there didn't dillute the magic for me in any way. It just gave me new perspective on things. (And makes me double angry when I see CMs who aren't putting forth effort at their roles.) I walk around the park and I think -- Oh my! I worked here! I was part of the magic!

And, as Danny Kaye pointed out about the CMs during Disneyland's 25th Anniversary special, "It's a lovely job making happiness. ...I thank them for making all our dreams come true."

10krbell
05-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Niwel
And, as Danny Kaye pointed out about the CMs during Disneyland's 25th Anniversary special, "It's a lovely job making happiness. ...I thank them for making all our dreams come true."

Ok, you freaked me out until I realized the spelling! Our dd is named after Mr. Kaye, and for a minute I was sitting here thinking, how did this guy talk to my 4 year old!

Polar33
05-30-2003, 09:50 PM
Were will the magic go? Well...for me at least, it is still there; you just see it in a whole new perspective.

Personally, I like to know how things work. It's just part of my nature to figure out how things happen. So for me, seeing things getting worked on backstage, watching entertainment CMs rehearse, or even learning park operating procedures doesn’t "ruin the magic", it just makes me recognize how much hard work from a lot of different people that goes into creating that magic.

It doesn’t really detract from my enjoyment from the parks when I am there as a guest either. In fact, in my opinion, the only bad part about visiting the park as a guest when you work at Disneyland is that you are constantly stopping to say hi when you run into the people that you work with (but I suppose that's what I get for working in a department that is spread across the entire park).

Rustin
05-31-2003, 11:22 AM
Oh that magic is not lost at all. I still visit the resort as a guest after work almost evry day and love it even more.

I have such an appreciation for all of the little things that Disneyland is known for and I'm heartened to work with people who value the magic as much as I do.

I love what I am doing so much it's hard to think to deep into how much it means to me without getting a little teary-eyed. I know it sounds totally crazy, but being a part of the magic has been a dream of mine since my first trip as a Magic Music Days participant in 5th grade.

I moved a long way to be here, and the whole situation can get overwhelming sometimes.

Rest assured, if you become a CM, and enter it wanting to be a part of the magic you've come to love. Then the magic will not go anywhere.

----

that being said, you will obviously get to see some "spoilers". you will know how things work, but you will get to see a childs eyes light up with you create some of that magic. I say, it's an even trade ;)

my thoughts on it anyway...
R.

BrerFox
05-31-2003, 08:00 PM
Thank you, all you CMs and former CMs for instiling in me a new lust for what I dream about.
I would never work somewhere to be "cool". That would be the worst thing ever to do to yourself!
I think being a creater of fairy dust would the best! I'm sooooooo very glad that there are so many devoted CMs on this site who haven't lost sight of what makes the greatest place in the world great......
ALL YOU GUYS!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :fez:
Thanks a lot

Fantasmic Fan
06-01-2003, 09:32 AM
As a CM, the magic has not been lost, instead I appreciate it more. You'll find it fun to talk to a guest who came to the park for their first time and hear their experience. I had two guests one time who came from the other side of the world (can't quite remember where right now) and this was their first visit. I was their server at one of the table service restaurants at the resort and the meal that I served them was their first American meal. They said it was wonderful, the service was outstanding, and all of the cast members were very nice. They said that they looked forward to coming back in two years. To hear that type of comment is what being a CM is all about! :)

I like to walk around the parks during one of my breaks to experience the magic while working because I can answer questions as I am walking. Another benefit by walking around the park is to see guests experiencing something for the first time. For example, to watch a kid chase down their favorite character. To stand back and watch a group of guests in awe of the beauty of the park is very rewarding because it makes me think how all of the CMs have impacted their day.

Create the magic and be a star in the show!

Remember, it all started with a Mouse and a dream....Walt's!

hazlnut
06-01-2003, 09:18 PM
As an amature magician and former CM, I can say knowing how a trick is done does not lesson my appreciating of it, if it's done well.

Also, now taking my kids, allows me to experience it again, vicariously, through their eyes.