PDA

View Full Version : ElecTRONica Continues Through Spring 2012?

dban3
06-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Just got caught up with Disney Parks Blog for the week. ElecTRONica continues through Spring 2012? Why? The only thing I can think of is with Disney working on other DCA construction projects their answer is "We're too busy, tired, cash-strapped, and lazy to try and come up with something else." Merry TRONica Christmas..... Ugh.

DreaminOfDisney9
06-12-2011, 04:55 PM
I can understand those who live by Disneyland, have an AP, or have the time and money to visit frequently, may be a bit tired out of this event.

However, someone like myself who is further away and short of extra time and money is excited to have a bit more time to attempt to visit Disneyland and experience it. :)

houseofmouse
06-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Bring back Glowfest!!!

IllusionOfLife
06-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Bring back Glowfest!!!

No! Please, anything but GlowFest. I finally got a chance to experience ElecTRONica and while I absolutely hated GlowFest, I really enjoyed ElecTRONica.

Where GlowFest was gaudy, tacky, and obnoxious, ElecTRONica is much more tasteful and in general feels much more appropriate for a Disney Park. Flynn's Arcade was really cool, Laser Man is awesome, the decorations were cool, and even the TRON: Legacy 3D preview was cool even though the movie has already been out for months.

I may just be biased because I'm a huge TRON nerd, but the rest of my family agreed that it was much better than GlowFest. I'm also apparently not the only one who enjoys it because Disney has extended ElecTRONica twice and ditched GlowFest after a single season.

I've heard complaints that the club scene isn't exactly appropriate for Disneyland and that you end up getting a lot of people acting in a very non-family friendly manner, but I think the trick is to get in and get out early so that you avoid that kind of nonsense. We only stuck around for about an hour and then ran off to Disneyland to see fireworks so we didn't experience much of that. It's also an improvement over GlowFest in that it takes place primarily in that side area near Monsters, Inc. where GlowFest took up the main through way in that land. There was no way around it, if you wanted to get to Tower of Terror you had to wade through crowds of bad music, gaudy colors, and occasionally drunken imbeciles.

It seems like Disney took steps with ElecTRONica to make it more of an isolated thing. You still can't do a lot to stop people from being idiots, but you can at least put them out of the way. And like I said, ElecTRONica, at least in my opinion, felt much better, more creative, and more fun than GlowFest. It still has the club element to it, but there's more things to do if you're not into the club scene. I personally wouldn't be caught dead in a club because that's just not what I'm into, but I enjoyed Flynn's Arcade, Laser Man, the TRON: Legacy preview, and just the cool look that the area had. I hit the three attractions, took some pictures, and left.

I guess my point is that there's more appeal to this than just the club aspect of it and that's why I like it more than GlowFest. I wouldn't disagree that trying to bring a club atmosphere to Disneyland is an iffy idea at best, but I think ElecTRONica does it in the most tasteful manner possible, and offers something for people who aren't really into the club scene.

houseofmouse
06-13-2011, 07:44 AM
I experienced only part of Electronica in December. Loved Laser Man he was great! But it was raining and there was no music or anything. I found the arcade lame, really don't need to go back and play games I played as a kid and middle schooler. I don't drink so the one small bar was of no interest to me.

Glowfest was ditched because it was put on by an outside company. Glowfest had an amazing energy to it. I loved the music, the interaction with the kids by the staff and the dancing by the cast showed that they were very talented dancers. The colors I could have done without but it's time for TRON to go away. Why couldn't they come up with something else??

CariBelle
06-13-2011, 08:56 AM
I enjoyed both GLOWfest and ElecTRONica! We didn't get to spend very much time at ElecTRONica though, so I'm glad it's sticking around.

Drince88
06-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Maybe it's a little bit of MouseAdventure frustration (read everything) but I really don't like the light system they have all over the backlot area. Reminds me too much of erector sets. And I don't see the trolley 'fitting in' riding underneath all of that.

dban3
06-13-2011, 10:08 AM
My thing about ElecTRONica is see it once and that's all you need. Laserman is kind of cool bit there's little else of interest unless you are 16 and care about who this weeks DJ is, or enjoy random projected videos that are pointless, or want to drink overpriced glow-in-the-dark cocktails. To have it last a year and a half, very puzzling. Flynn's Arcade, please.... that place was better utilized when it served up scrumptious food offerings for the defunct Food & Wine Festival.

Bytebear
06-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I love ElecTRONica, but I think it needs to be integrated into Tomorrowland. I can see why the leave it though, since it is a draw that puts people in an area where nothing is going on. And it pulls people away from the Fireworks and WoC. But it still is in the wrong place. I do love the atmosphere though, and that is what's missing in TL.

pcrazy99
06-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Im happy they are keeping it. I love playing the old games at Flynns. I no they won't but I hope the arcade stays after Electronica is over.

Iceman
06-17-2011, 05:58 AM
ElecTRONica keeps my family coming back much more often than we would otherwise. There are plenty of experiences across the DLR that hold no interest for me, but I don't bash them because I know it is a variety of entertainment that keeps crowds entertained. I don't understand why the non-fans of ElecTRONica (or GlowFest) think they have to be so aggressive in their disdain.

haiderodes
06-17-2011, 03:30 PM
I greatly enjoy ElecTRONica (as I do the movie). I'm big into electronic music though so that may be a bit of my bias. I just wish they could "plus" it somehow for this second year. Perhaps help those who arent into it and take off the decoration down the middle of the backlot and just move all that stuff into the Monster's Inc "forecourt". That would give even more lights and projections.

Folks complain about it, but I see it as just another variation on the Studio K (Knotts) and Decibles/Afterhours (Magic Mtn) clubs back in the day. The teens and young adults love it!

dban3
06-17-2011, 09:12 PM
ElecTRONica keeps my family coming back much more often than we would otherwise. There are plenty of experiences across the DLR that hold no interest for me, but I don't bash them because I know it is a variety of entertainment that keeps crowds entertained. I don't understand why the non-fans of ElecTRONica (or GlowFest) think they have to be so aggressive in their disdain.

Point well taken. Sometimes its just fun to argue. Do they still have debate teams in school? Point vs Counterpoint. I subscribe to the Disneyland Park Twitter feed. I can't delete the 87 tweets they send out a week on the latest ElecTRONica news fast enough. I'm in the wrong demographic I guess.

mrsdisney68
06-18-2011, 04:37 AM
We didn't check this out last summer so I guess we will this time around. Where exactly is everything at? Flynns and the Laserman show are the two things we will check out.

dban3
06-18-2011, 06:48 AM
We didn't check this out last summer so I guess we will this time around. Where exactly is everything at? Flynns and the Laserman show are the two things we will check out.

When the portal opens and ElecTRONica begins, it kind of "moves". It starts on a stage with an emcee at a stage across from Award Wieners, then after about 10 or 15 minutes moves down to the stage across from Monster's Inc where Laserman gives his 10 minutes, and then the mind-numbing music begins with a DJ, dancers, and all kinds of stuff. Flynn's Arcade is tucked back in the corner by Monster's Inc. That's also where the End of the Line Bar is. There are abstract video projections all over the old Hollywood Backlot.

Though TRON is a Disney creation, ElecTRONica is not what you call typical Disney park entertainment. If people endure over a year and a half TRON, the Marvel superheroes should be welcomed with opened arms when their time comes to make their appearances in the park. Truth be told, Laserman is a whole lot better to watch than the Disney Channel Rocks / High School Musical type performances.

oregontraveler
06-18-2011, 08:45 AM
I greatly enjoy ElecTRONica (as I do the movie). I'm big into electronic music though so that may be a bit of my bias. I just wish they could "plus" it somehow for this second year. Perhaps help those who arent into it and take off the decoration down the middle of the backlot and just move all that stuff into the Monster's Inc "forecourt". That would give even more lights and projections.

Folks complain about it, but I see it as just another variation on the Studio K (Knotts) and Decibles/Afterhours (Magic Mtn) clubs back in the day. The teens and young adults love it!

I guess you could say this is the new 'Videopolis' then. Disney has taken notice on the 'plussing' of the 2nd year with a new show from Laserman. Now that the movie is out, I wonder if they could show other clips in the 3D theater. That would be a a nice change.