PDA

View Full Version : DVC, Dining Plan and Disney Reward Dollars

momtoprincessm
06-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I have a reservation in December with my DVC points. I also have Disney VISA reward dollars. Can I use the reward dollars to pay for the dining plan when I add it to the DVC reservation? Thank you!

GusMan
06-11-2011, 05:36 PM
You wont pay for the DDP when you add it to the ressie. But you can pay for it upon arrival as it will be on your statement. You can apply your Disney Rewards Dollars to your account then, if you would like.

momtoprincessm
06-11-2011, 06:20 PM
The rules were actually changed a little while ago and when you add the dining plan to a DVC reservation, you must pay for it when it is added, not when you check in.

3Princesses1Prince
06-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Yep. The change was made last October.

GusMan
06-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Interesting change. Thanks for the update.
We use the DDP a lot less often these days.

momtoprincessm
06-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Really? Why have you decide to not use the DDP (if you don't mind sharing)?

GusMan
06-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Its just not the value it used to be. When it included gratuities, it was a slam dunk!
We love to eat at Disney and at one time it was a great deal. When comparing apples to apples, its just about a break-even thing for us. Not to mention that you are pretty much forced to use it to the max or you loose money. (And sometimes that means ordering the most expensive thing on the menu.) We found that if we pay out of pocket, we get more flexibility and in most cases, spend less overall on dining.

Everyone's dining desires/wants/needs are going to be different. Thats why I always recommend that people do the research using online menus (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide/2/Walt-Disney-World) comparing prices with what you would pay out of pocket. Some people get a great value out of it because it fits their needs. Others, not so much.

For more dining plan info and discussion, please visit the WDW Good Eats (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/forumdisplay.php?68-Walt-Disney-World-Good-Eats) forum.

Tater
06-13-2011, 10:43 AM
I've not ever used a dining plan. I was worried that I wouldn't get enough value out of it, I didn't want to be forced to stick to any major rezs.

mom22gls
06-14-2011, 04:31 AM
We haven't done the Dining Plan in several years, but we do take advantage of the DVC discount for AP's, and purchase the Tables In Wonderland card (straight 20% discount on almost all table service restaurants, and some counter service places and food courts. Discount applies to alcoholic drinks, too). I find it a much better value for us, and gives a lot more flexibility. I don't always want to order an entree and dessert; very often I'll make a meal from appetizers and a glass or two of wine. The Dining Plan won't "let you" order that way. What I suggest to people considering the Dining Plan is to make your meal reservations before you commit to the plan-you can add it to your hotel reservation up to (I think) 3 days before your arrival. Then, consult the menus for the places where you will actually be dining, and figure out if it makes more sense to do the Dining Plan, or not. It's an easier calculation with a set price menu, such as a buffet or family style meal. Also, the kids' menus are not very appealing in many places-I would try to stick to buffets, etc., if your kid's tastes are not limited to chicken nuggets, etc. I have one child under 10, and, these days, I'll often split an entree with her and we each get an appetizer. I really like the TIW card, which lets me order the way I want, and I make up the cost of the card very quickly. Last year, we had a group of eight, and it paid for itself in a couple of days-this weekend I'm getting my third trip out of it.

petesimac
06-14-2011, 09:41 AM
I've not ever used a dining plan. I was worried that I wouldn't get enough value out of it, I didn't want to be forced to stick to any major rezs.

Well, thanks to the changes for 2012, you're not even more likely not to get enough value out of it. The first year we used it, I want to say 2005, but it may have been 2007, it included an appetizer, entree, non-alcoholic drink and a dessert, plus an 18% tip (which we would always expand a bit) with evern table-service meal; it saved us so much money and allowed us to eat a lot of things we otherwise would not have ordered or eaten. Lately as the plan has become a lot less generous, we save less, but still enough to justify the purchase, mostly because you can order anything on the menu without fear of breaking the budget. But with the changes for 2012, meaning the increased price, it just won't save us enough to use it. It's too bad. I guess they started losing money on the deal, or weren't making as much profit as they used to.