PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Pier- Mermaid Lagoon

DisneyFreak2000
08-14-2001, 09:30 PM
In today's TDS update, Mermaid Lagoon is astounding!!! The thing that got me really steamed up, though, is the fact that Paradise Pier could have been as elaborate and interesting as that. They could have themed the rides (ie Jumpin Jellyfish) to look that great and unique, and put in those little details (like the cool looking octopus holding signs) in various spots that lack the latter. Another thing that was astonding was the fact that it looked like you were underwater!!! I would love to see a Little Mermiad dark ride that gave you that illusion, even a store that "goes underwater" with that detail would be great.

DisneylandKid
08-15-2001, 09:05 AM
Since Paradise Pier's supposed to be themed like a (cheap) seaside carnival, I don't think there is much they can do there. Unless...they totally theme it. I know it sounds strange, but go all the way with theming it like a seaside carnival. Have performers walking around: juggling, doing magic, swalling fire! They could turn it into a parody of the carnivals.

Also, I think they should take out Jumpin' Jellyfish and King Triton's Carrousel, and theme them not for a seaside carnival, but for a type of Mermaid Lagoon, at DCA! They could do it where the S.S. 'rustworthy is now. It could be a duplicate of the one at TDS. I believe there is some room back there, though I'm not 100% sure. DCA needs it's well-themed kiddie area---with rides---not just a place for them to run around and get wet. They can keep that, but they need a Toontown equivilent. I think it would be a different land, or it could simply be a district of Paradise Pier (similar to Bountiful Valley Farm of Golden State). I think that would be the first step (and a large first step at that,) in making DCA a Disney park.

DisneylandKid
08-15-2001, 10:19 AM
When I said it should be in the area of the SS rustworthy, I actually meant there and behind it. Mermaid Lagoon would (obviously) have to go behind it (and possibly into the DTD parking area).

Oh, and I like to idea of Mermaid Lagoon, as well as the theming, but I think that TDS's ML should be different from DCA'S:
Jumpin' Jellyfish
Flounder's Flying Fish Coaster
King Triton's Carrousel
Blowfish Balloon
Journey of the Little Mermaid
Aquatopia
Scuttle's Scooters
?

I'm hoping they do that, it would be so cool! Any comments?

DBJ
08-15-2001, 12:34 PM
What if they simply removed the Bountiful Farm Area? Then there is plenty of space for a Mermaid Lagoo area.

DisneyFreak2000
08-15-2001, 03:34 PM
To better theme PP, they should keep the concept but "Disneyize" it. If they better themed King Triton's Carousel, Jumpin' Jellyfish and Orange Stinger to be more like at Mermaid Lagoon it wouldn't hurt the seaside theming. What they could also do is bring out some of those very well themed off the shelf rides at TDS (ie Blowfish Balloon) and put them in near Jumpin' Jellyfish (or even expand behind the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area) to fill more space, give it more detailing and add more attractions. Also, over by the carousel they should put in the Ursala spinner and he "Voyage of Little Mermiad" show. On the ceiling in the theater, they could make the underwater reflection effect like at TDS (I LOVE that effect :)!!!) Also, I think they should build a building around Mullholand Madness, because it's an eyesore to me.

DisneylandKid
08-15-2001, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by DBJ
What if they simply removed the Bountiful Farm Area? Then there is plenty of space for a Mermaid Lagoo area.
I don't think so:
1. I like the farm area.
2. It isn't near the DCA "ocean."

disneyhead
08-16-2001, 07:20 AM
And how do mermaids tie into "California", If they wanted to put a Mermaid Lagoon into the DLR shouldn't it be somewhere between Fantasyland and Toontown. Although they could drop most of the rides in PP, to up the kid friendlyness of the park. I think the seashell building would stick out like a sore thumb. That is the main problem with the realist theme of the park. You have to take real things and stir in just the right amount of fantasy. Grizzly Peak is a good example of how to make it work. It looks kind of realistic, kind of not. Pure fantasy just won't work.

DisneylandKid
08-16-2001, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by disneyhead
And how do mermaids tie into "California", If they wanted to put a Mermaid Lagoon into the DLR shouldn't it be somewhere between Fantasyland and Toontown. Although they could drop most of the rides in PP, to up the kid friendlyness of the park. I think the seashell building would stick out like a sore thumb. That is the main problem with the realist theme of the park. You have to take real things and stir in just the right amount of fantasy. Grizzly Peak is a good example of how to make it work. It looks kind of realistic, kind of not. Pure fantasy just won't work.

You do have a point, however, I think it could still work very well. They could have a land like the Golden State that has "districts." Since DCA needs some sort of FANTASYland, it could focus on California Myths & Legends (ghost town, Native American myths/legends, MERMAID SIGHTINGS, etc.)