PDA

View Full Version : Evil Annual Passholders?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hawkeye Jenny
05-29-2003, 09:29 PM
Okay, someone clue me in here. While doing paperwork for my rehire I chatted it up with a few current castmembers. Well, I mentioned AP holders..and was met with a flurry of snarls and lifted hackles. I'll withhold their comments, lol. I wasn't aware that ap's were capable of enough savage malevolence to deserve such a reaction! I do remember one pass holder who obsessed over some of the Hunchback FOF cast to the point that she had a couple restraining orders set against her. (after she started following them home! :eek: ) Had multiple albums full of photos taken of her prey during the shows..went around saying that-so and-so castmember was her relative among other things. Odd sort, very odd. I think she had her pass revoked in the end. She might have deserved some general hissing and booing..but what of other Ap holders? I've never had any trouble with them while working in the park, (ok I did once, but nothing major.) Is there something I don't know here? :p Are you all eeeeeeevil and naughty like my soon to be coworkers told me you are? Or did a few bad berries taint the whole pie? Someone stop me, I'm rambling..

Not Afraid
05-29-2003, 09:35 PM
Well, I, for one, am EEEEVVVVIIIILLLLLL, but I try to restrain myself when I am at the Park.;)

One bad apple........Yeah, I'm sure there are at least 100 crazy, awful, nasty and/or stupid APs with our group of 500,000. I am the one who is obsessed with the swans. :rolleyes:

But, I'd rather be with the crazy group anyday than with the bitter ones.

Disney Nick
05-29-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
One bad apple........Yeah, I'm sure there are at least 100 crazy, awful, nasty and/or stupid APs with our group of 500,000

Alright, I'm sure 100 is far too conservative of an estimate. Maybe 1,000, but those 1,000 sure make their presence known.

When I'm at the park as an APer I don't seem to notice them too much, and some of the stuff we do might be boarder-line crazy, but when I go to the park with family in a vacation setting there are definitely some pretty nasty/awful/stupid APers out there and they aren't hard to pick out.

Somehow, having an Annual Pass gives you the write to **** off everyone else around you.

At least spinning around aimlessly in the old Circlevision building didn't hurt anyone ;)

Andrew
05-29-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles
Somehow, having an Annual Pass gives you the write to **** off everyone else around you.

You wouldn't think the common word for "urinate" would be censored (or at least you didn't), but it is. Please remember to use the Preview button before posting!

Disney Nick
05-29-2003, 10:08 PM
Hmm, didn't even notice that. Not sure why it would be censored, but some other choice words aren't.

Anyways, I digress...

Pirate Girl
05-29-2003, 11:20 PM
Ok, true story. Now, I'm an AP holder myself, but I try and behave at DL. I was in line for splash, nearing the bit where you go inside and a woman clibed into line in front of my party with her 3 kids. Having waited for nearly an hour to get to that spot, my cousin politely asked her if she was looking for someone. (Hint, hint) The woman shook her head and turned away from us. We were pretty shocked, so my cousin tried again and asked her why she had jumped in line and if she was looking for someone. The woman replied that she just didn't want to wait in the whole line. "After all, its an 85 minute wait." My mom politely reminded the woman that we had waited most of those 85 minutes already and would appreciate if we didn't have to wait behind anyone else. The lady replied that it was ok because she was an AP holder. I'm not kidding at all. We gave up at that point...some things you just can't even try. :eek:

Wizard69
05-30-2003, 01:21 AM
A few idiot APers ruin it for the rest of us.

Pat-n-Eil
05-30-2003, 06:31 AM
There is a phrase: "Familiarity breeds contempt".

This group of APers become so familiar with every aspect of the park that they feel a certain ownership of it.. and so when things change or if someone or something isn't to their liking, they feel both obligated and entitled to voice their opinion or modify things to their own rules.

I won't argue that APers aren't a valuable customer and I also won't argue that they spend more at the park than others.. though I would think that many APers live locally and are thus not staying in a hotel or dining 3 meals a day in restaurants of the area..

But I would submit that the AP isn't that much more than many of the multi-day park hopper tickets and these out of town customers are probably spending more per day on their trip to the park. What's my point? Only that the APer shouldn't feel they have a superior membership to the average visitor. Vacationers have a day (or a couple of days) to experience Disneyland and if things don't go well for them, what recourse do they have? All they get are tainted memories. The APer can come back next week if they want to. They not only get to see the worst of Disneyland, when it happens, but also the very best. I would theink they could become way too picky and petty. It is their false sense of entitlement that turns this group into the eeeevil ones. ;)

RStar
05-30-2003, 07:17 AM
This is how I handle myself as an APer.

1) I'm there on a discounted admission, therefore I am not intitaled to any "Extra" treatment. (I use my PAP enough that my admission costs less than $10 each or $5 per park if I hop).

2) I love Walt's "show" so much I do what I can to help it out. This gives me the feeling that I'm helping Walt. I am polite to guests and CMs, and help people out when I can (very casually so as not to draw attention to myself). If I see a guest trying to find something I help them with directions for example.

EandCDad
05-30-2003, 07:24 AM
Whenever this thread comes up, I always try to say about the same thing.

Some people are rude, unaware jerks. AP holders are people. Some AP holders are rude, unaware jerks. Some non-APers are, too. So are some CM's and some of the customers at WalMart.

hefferdude
05-30-2003, 07:32 AM
2) I love Walt's "show" so much I do what I can to help it out. This gives me the feeling that I'm helping Walt. I am polite to guests and CMs, and help people out when I can (very casually so as not to draw attention to myself). If I see a guest trying to find something I help them with directions for example.

I couldn't agree more. :) Never attempting to be a know-it-all yet offering a park suggestion or an extra courtesy to another guest that may need a little help actually serves to make my visits a little more rewarding. :cool:

(..and my son quipped one time, " and Disney kinda like gets you to work for free...) :eek:

RStar
05-30-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by hefferdude
(..and my son quipped one time, " and Disney kinda like gets you to work for free...) :eek:

That would be true except that I'm like that to some degree as well. It's in my nature to help others out when I can. But I know more about DL that any other place:rolleyes: so I can help out more, and am more aware of how I act while there.

And it isn't "work" if you love it so much.:cool:

Aunty Brat
05-30-2003, 07:56 AM
Ok, I am an AP and a pin trader, two of the greatest evils in the park anymore. However, if I am wearing a shirt with a collar and have my lanyard on, you would not believe the number of people who assume I am a cast member. Fortunately, I do know where the closest bathroom is in any of the lands, including DCA. I can also tell people where they are on the map and how to get where they want. Is this my job? Nope, not in the literal sense, but I do it because I am a part of humanity and helping out folks costs me nothing, and it helps them enjoy their day!! I know of at least 20 APers and Pin traders that I would not want to be associated with. They are a bunch of schlemiels who work to game everything to their advantage. However, I view them like super models. They are famous and they think they are all that, but frankly, there are more of us nice, round folks than there are of them. :fez:

10krbell
05-30-2003, 08:29 AM
Ok, I can respond to this one as a former CM and an AP! And I worked a majority of the time at Hunchback during its last summer!!! Unfortunately there are those *pyscho* APs! And they do make themselves known. The majority of us (IMO) are fairly quiet (usually) who do make a point of trying to enhance the show because we appreciate it! I know that if I see a group of people staring at the map looking terribly lost I'll pitch in and help them out! Same if I am standing in line and overhear questions being asked. I'll answer them (where is Snow White at? Which way to Ariel's Grotto)

But I digress. My point, those of us being quiet, polite, and helpful are completely overshadowed by those that are loud, rude, and kinda scary (I dealt with quite a few of those at Hunch...) They get all the attention, though I know that many CMs do appreciate us regular nice-guy APs too! You just won't hear the stories about us!

Disneyphile
05-30-2003, 08:57 AM
Ok, I'll confess that I'm a "psycho passholder".....

My obsession is with stalking the ghosts in HM. They just give me hot and cold running chills, ya know. But, I'm getting so annoyed by the one that is supposed to follow me home at the end, and never does. He always disappears again! I hate broken promises! Maybe he just doesn't yet realize that he really does love me...... I'll just have to keep riding over and over until he does........ after all, he's the reason I got my AP. ;)

hbquikcomjamesl
05-30-2003, 09:11 AM
Well, given that I'm always wearing either a dress shirt or my one (white, official PIPORG-L) golf shirt and black, blue, brown, or gray Expandomatic trousers, I'm frequently mistaken for a Disney CM or San Diego Zoo employee, or store clerk, or whatever. Even if I'm shod in sandals (always with argyle socks).

I usually try to be helpful, and gently inform people that I don't work (wherever), and if necessary, direct them to someone who does.

As to the AP issue, I always do my best to claim AP discounts, but if it's in a store, and I forget to show my pass until it's too late (which has happened), I try not to sweat it. In restaurants (particularly the Bayou), I try to show it early, and unobtrusively, so that I can get the discount with the minimum of inconvenience to the staff, and I always, ALWAYS tip on the undiscounted after-tax amount.

If I'm riding the Monorail, and I want a cab ride, and they're actually GIVING cab rides, I'll sometimes wait out two or three trains to avoid fighting with another guest over the cab seats.

If I see a maintenance problem of the sort that only a passholder would notice (e.g., the monitor in a Starspeeder is showing REAL dropout, as from a cable problem or a videotape problem, or the projector in Soarin' needs to be cleaned), I quietly, unobtrusively let a CM know about it, doing my best to avoid sounding like I'm complaining (much less whining) about it.

Remember, people: if you're a passholder, you already ARE getting special privileges. Like the ability to go to DL on a whim, for less out-of-pocket expense than you'd have for a 10-month-old movie in a third-run house. You don't NEED any other privileges, and you owe it to the CMs to make their jobs as easy and pleasant as possible, and to the non-AP guests to help them make the most of their much-more-limited time.

10krbell
05-30-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl

Remember, people: if you're a passholder, you already ARE getting special privileges. Like the ability to go to DL on a whim, for less out-of-pocket expense than you'd have for a 10-month-old movie in a third-run house. You don't NEED any other privileges, and you owe it to the CMs to make their jobs as easy and pleasant as possible, and to the non-AP guests to help them make the most of their much-more-limited time.

Good point! In fact its very interesting to deal with a 4 year old with an AP. DH and I are already teaching her that if she wants to visit a Princess, for example, but lines are very long...we will do it another time, because all those other kids more than likely won't be back at least 2 more times that week! I have to wonder about APs like mentioned before that think they don't have to stand in line...geez if the line is too long come back a day when its not as crowded!

And I know that not *every* AP can come whenever they feel like it...I'm just generalizing to make a point

Berry Princess
05-30-2003, 10:01 AM
In fact its very interesting to deal with a 4 year old with an AP. DH and I are already teaching her that if she wants to visit a Princess, for example, but lines are very long...we will do it another time, because all those other kids more than likely won't be back at least 2 more times that week! I have to wonder about APs like mentioned before that think they don't have to stand in line...geez if the line is too long come back a day when its not as crowded!

This is what we have taught our almost 5 yr old. No matter what we miss we can always go back another day to do it. He is fine with that. And we have told him basicly the same thing you tell your 4 yr old. We tell him that not all kids are lucky enough to live close to DL or have an AP.

I do remember one pass holder who obsessed over some of the Hunchback FOF cast to the point that she had a couple restraining orders set against her. (after she started following them home! ) Had multiple albums full of photos taken of her prey during the shows..went around saying that-so and-so castmember was her relative among other things. Odd sort, very odd. I think she had her pass revoked in the end. She might have deserved some general hissing and booing

When I had an AP for Universal Studios there was a group of girls in their teens/early 20s and they would be at that Beetlejuice show every day they could and every show. They had the photo albums and everything. Even stood in line talking about how they knew so and so and blah blah blah. It was pretty sick. But I guess they are at all these places with different things.

Anyway, back to the topic. I know that whenever we are there we tried all with respect. The AP only comes out for getting in the parks, parking, fastpasses and discounts. No other need for it to be out. We have always said thank you and so on to the CMs and told them how they are doing a great job and such. It is sad that there are bad APs that leave such a mark on CMs that make it so APs have a bad name.

TheManator
05-30-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by EandCDad

Some people are rude, unaware jerks. AP holders are people. Some AP holders are rude, unaware jerks. Some non-APers are, too. So are some CM's and some of the customers at WalMart.

I work at a Wal-Mart, so I feel your pain people.

TheManator
05-30-2003, 10:58 AM
I have heard horror stories from my family in CA that are CMs at DLR. About the Hunchback Show and the Aladdin show..it makes me sick to my stomach that some people can get away with acting that way. People like that should be put to sleep!

hefferdude
05-30-2003, 11:22 AM
(..and my son quipped one time, " and Disney kinda like gets you to work for free...)

That particular pearl came from my 10 year old after he, his brother and I had partcicpated in the Parade of Stars ( on a dare from same kid ) and had helped another nervous guest get the basic steps before it started.:)

OBTW - Thank Gawd, I did not have to wear the tu tu !:D

Morrigoon
05-30-2003, 11:28 AM
One AP in particular is rumored to have been the cause of that sign at Aladdin specifying that guests may only pick up tix for ONE SHOW. Apparently the person got tix for every show and freaked when she didn't.

10krbell
05-30-2003, 11:37 AM
I am not surprised. Part of our training for Hunch was learning all the fun things we had to do to *protect* the performers! And not only that, it was always so much fun to the spiel, when if you missed a single line, or changed the script just a little bit (which we were kinda encouraged to do) you were heckled...Ahhh yes, just bringing back all the memories! At least if I worked Light Magic I *never* had to deal with APs (am I really the only AP to like the show? Not to work - its was a nightmare, but to watch)

DivaPrincess
05-30-2003, 12:26 PM
Oh my gosh! This post made me so sad! I can't believe some AP's feel like they have special privleges! I just got my AP, and returned early this morning from a day trip to DLR. I'm sure the cast members have no clue that I am an AP, because to me, every trip to DL is special. I don't get to go every week, or even every month, but I can't help but thinking, even if I did, I would still think it was special, and behave myself.

But, I did have an experience yesterday that irritated me. I was waiting in line for my daughter to see Sleeping Beauty for the first time. She happened to be the same person who played Cinderella last time we were there. (BTW, she was phenominal. She spent time with every child, and had quite a conversation with my excited 3 year old.) Then, the Evil Queen went by and I asked my husband if she was the one we had seen during our trip in March. He said "Yep, that's our queen." and the lady behind us started going on and on about how good that Queen was, so we told her that we had a great experience with her last trip. Then, she just starting going on and on about how she also plays Esmerelda, and that she's so much fun and how they have all these autographs and blah blah blah. It was like we were supposed to be impressed that she had been there so often. We enjoy the characters and look for the same ones every time we go, but that's between us, we don't rub it in everyone elses faces. It shouldn't be a who's been here the most contest. That's so annoying.

But, I would have to say, it's a few bad apples. And, there are plenty of rude, ignorant vacationers as well. I can't tell you how many times people cut us in shops and in line for characters. I couldn't believe it. But, we're there to have fun, so I think it's good to not sweat things to much. Although, I probably would have had some real words with the lady who cut in line at Splash Mountain. I can't find anywhere on my AP literature where it says you have the right to cut in line.

MammaSilva
05-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by DivaPrincess

But, I did have an experience yesterday that irritated me. I was waiting in line for my daughter to see Sleeping Beauty for the first time. She happened to be the same person who played Cinderella last time we were there. (BTW, she was phenominal. She spent time with every child, and had quite a conversation with my excited 3 year old.) Then, the Evil Queen went by and I asked my husband if she was the one we had seen during our trip in March. He said "Yep, that's our queen." and the lady behind us started going on and on about how good that Queen was, so we told her that we had a great experience with her last trip. Then, she just starting going on and on about how she also plays Esmerelda, and that she's so much fun and how they have all these autographs and blah blah blah.

I read this and instantly the hairs on the back of my "MOM" neck went flying into hyper overdrive! It's the same as someone asking 'which Mickeys" are out in the barn filming. There are little ones standing around you that only SEE the Princess or the Queen, they do NOT need to hear some adult going on about how that 'person' plays this or that character as well or how good they are as another character. When someone attempts to start that type of conversation I quickly redirect it so that I make it obvious that the child with ME doesn't see an Actress/CM, she sees Auroa or Belle or Ariel or whoever we're waiting to see. It's very rude IMHO to do something that can possibly destroy the magic for another guest.